• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Looking for an IBM PS/2 Model 90.

DOS lives on!!

Veteran Member
I am looking for a PS/2 Model 90. I think they were also considered servers.

Here's what I'm looking for,
ps2_95t3_1_full.jpg

I like them because of their MHz displays. They can display the time and date too.

I like them because of their MHz displays. They can display the time and date too.

Maybe you should just get a clock?

Seriously - this is not a machine for beginners. Get a kit that lets you drive an LCD display from a parallel port - you will have more fun.

You are referring to the proprietary "InfoPanel" of the Server 95 (both the 8595 and 9595 submodels), Server 500 (larger case which had the 9595 planar), and Server 720. There were a few people that wrote drivers for the display (I have the primary call documented at http://ibmmuseum.com/Interrupts/INT15h/INT15hCB.html), but Mike is right, it is relatively simplistic, and a dynamic display takes clock cycles from the system to run. Left as stock, it can report POST codes during startup, CPU speed, and disk access (the Server 720 InfoPanel is larger, but the system is as well).

I don't know if the same mechanism was carried through for the similar display of the Server 701/Netfinity 7000...

Maybe you should just get a clock?

Seriously - this is not a machine for beginners. Get a kit that lets you drive an LCD display from a parallel port - you will have more fun.
True, that would be more simplistic and focusing more on the LCD display, but I should've been more specific. I like the Model 95 for it's architecture, looks, and other reasons, including the LCD display.

It's also a vintage server, in which I also collect old DOS servers.
The fact that it can display different parts of the whole system status is cool, and the display can also display custom mesages.

True, that would be more simplistic and focusing more on the LCD display, but I should've been more specific. I like the Model 95 for it's architecture, looks, and other reasons, including the LCD display.

The fact that it can display different parts of the whole system status is cool, and the display can also display custom mesages.

Of course DOS rules out the use of the Server 720 - It's SMP Pentiums, and not quite "vintage" enough here yet. The Model 95 was from the 486 to the Pentium level (there is a "Type 0" 386DX-20 complex, but I hadn't heard of it being used in the 8595, it was made for the Model 90). And the design is quite a bit better (in my opinion) than the Model 90.

One of mine is the penultimate "DOS server" even though it runs Novell 3.11: There is a RIPL (Remote Initial Program Load) image for a set of Model 25s to boot DOS from...

You realize this is a micro-channel machine, right?

Like I said, not for beginners. If you can find a complete one and never want to upgrade it you are probably ok. But having a microchannel bus really limits what a casual collector can do with the machine. I'd leave a machine like that for the PS/2 MCA fanatics, who know how to care for it and feed it.

Mike

You realize this is a micro-channel machine, right?

Like I said, not for beginners. If you can find a complete one and never want to upgrade it you are probably ok.
I do realize that it's a micro-channel. And I wouldn't upgrade it either. I like to keep everything I get in it's original shape.

That's why I always narrow it down to "Buy It Now." If I bid on something in that good of condition, and the fact that it is a rare item, I know someone will run me up on bidding and outbid me.

Oh well, keep looking.

FWIW, about twp months ago, a seller had a working 9595 in tatty condition (scrapes on the case, dirty, etc), and he wanted IIRC $150 for it. It didn't sell, as I recall. I thought it too much for the machine in that condition.

FWIW, about twp months ago, a seller had a working 9595 in tatty condition (scrapes on the case, dirty, etc), and he wanted IIRC $150 for it. It didn't sell, as I recall. I thought it too much for the machine in that condition.
I think most of us at one time or another has bought a beatup machine in the hopes we could refurbish it only to find it was a futile effort.
When I see something for sale in rough shape I don't even consider buying it. Learned my lesson.

I'm only watching this auction because I'm curious what it will sell for. There are computers that have recently sold on eBay for outrageous amounts of money.
Example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300618186039?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

A base model and it sold for $777.67. The computer was probably worth $150-$200, so i guess the buyer was willing to pay $550 for the original box it came in.

Slightly off topic, but were there any IBM servers from that era (486) that were not MCA?

The "PC Server" line encompassed many PC bus types of the time: Microchannel alone, mixed with PCI, EISA/PCI, and ISA/PCI. Some models started at the 486 level, but in stride were Pentium-based. Many later models were able to have (at least) dual CPUs, and the series (renamed to "Netfinity" to go higher) topped out at Pentium Pro and Pentium IIs.

The "PC Server" line encompassed many PC bus types of the time: Microchannel alone, mixed with PCI, EISA/PCI, and ISA/PCI. Some models started at the 486 level, but in stride were Pentium-based.

Were these mostly under the PS/2 Family, or did they call them something else? I can't seem to find any info on Google specifically about IBM servers, and once again I apologize if I yanked this thread off topic.

Back