• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DS1287 Rework. How Am I Doing So Far?

Sorry, forgot to read those. I got the pins exposed, soldered the wires to the pins, soldered the wires to the battery holder, put the batteries in, checked the voltage, and everything checked out to be 3 volts. Oh, I also checked it when I hadn't soldered yet and the dallas battery was 0 volts. Now, it's time to put everything back together. That's a LONG process.

Well done on the mod!

Tez

Well, I got everything back together. New batteries soldered to the dallas. When I run the diagnostic disk, after I press enter, it comes up with an error message or lets me enter the date and time, then says, "102-System Board Failure." Not sure wheather it's referencing to the DS1287, a broken circuit board track, or something else?

Well, I got everything back together. New batteries soldered to the dallas. When I run the diagnostic disk, after I press enter, it comes up with an error message or lets me enter the date and time, then says, "102-System Board Failure." Not sure wheather it's referencing to the DS1287, a broken circuit board track, or something else?

Oops. I don't know specifically what that means but it doesn't sound good! You may need to open it up and check for broken tracks around the Dallas, or that the wire plus solder hasn't fallen off and is now lying across a couple of pins shorting them.

Tez

No solder has dripped down, hopefully no tracks were damaged, however the exacto knife did slip a few times around that area. Maybe GSETUP can get past that problem.

EDIT: Each time I turn it on, I get a little farther. This time I was able to enter in the settings. Upon trying to save them, it came up with the system board error. GSETUP didn't work either. Apparently, the actual computer, not the diagnostic disk throws up that error message.

Last edited:
[The weirdest thing happened. In an archive thread about this, someone recommended that the date be set to sometime back in the 90's for it to boot from the hard drive. I tried it and not only did the error message go away, but I was finally able to get this thing working in working on it for over a year!!!! It has Windows 3.1 and a bunch of other neat things.:):):)

THANK YOU ALL, you made one of my birthday wishes come true a day early.

Zi6_0444.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone!
I am having the same trouble "DOS lives on" had trying to find out pin 16. Even though I have dig in carefully, I found nothing arounfd the area of pin 16 near the botton of the chip. All I found is kind of metal sheet with holes near the top (see figs). Should I solder there?
Regarding to pin 20, another metal sheet appear to be there, too, but something that could be a pin goes downwards... Voltmeter still reads 0.3V between these two metals... What do I have to break? Where to solder exactly? Have I spoilt my chip?
I hope the next figures allow you to lend me a hand with this, I want my PS/1 to work again!

Cheers

Attachments

• _DSC6123.jpg
    _DSC6123.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1
  • _DSC6124.jpg
    _DSC6124.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1
  • _DSC6126.jpg
    _DSC6126.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC6127.jpg
    _DSC6127.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC6128.jpg
    _DSC6128.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2
On the fourth picture, there is a piece of metal hanging off the metal sheet. I believe that is the pin you're looking for. On the first picture, that piece of metal coming out of the side of the epoxy is another pin. Assuming the two pictures are not of the same places on the chip.

Thanks
Yes, the two mentioned pictures are of the same "hole". Should I break the link between the visible pin and the small metallic sheet?
What do I do with the other connection?

Just seperate the pin from the metallic sheet. Don't actually break the pin off the whole DS1287. Can you get a clear, overhead picture of the second hole?

To find the pin in the left-side hole, I extended the hole by cutting in a little to the left, and that revealed the pin.

The DS1287 is a pain in the ugh.......

Checked my 386 and the designer used it for simplefied design the X-tal i can understand but why the backup battery this is asking for failure after the chemicals have stoped functioning.

BTW you could add a pair of transistors and a resistor to load the battery while the system is turned on. ;)

Well time to murder a DS1287 on my end.

Back