• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Which 8 Bit Scsi You will suggest me?

The Trantor T128 should have a boot ROM: which most likely allows configuration. The only software that's usually dealt with is drivers.

There are some utilities for the Trantor adapters (bought up by Adaptec), usually in a grouping called SCSIWorks...

Ctrl-A on boot is usually for invoking Adaptec BIOS utility. My 1542C had it, but I don't know if the T128 BIOS has it; it might only contain the bootstrap ROM allowing the system to boot from SCSI drives. I think SCSI Works is a separate software package with ASPI drivers for varies different adapters. Let me see if I still have any of the old Quantum narrow Atlas lying around...

Iam further on this.. But having problems on installing compaq dos 3.31 on this system

I have tested this scsi device unit and drive with the NEC T128 driver disk..

This disk contents a cd-rom installation, SCSI CD-rom TEST, musicbox software when using an scsi cd-rom and a program called SCSI TEST.. with this test the adapter and drive are detected by the software and seems to be working perfect..

When i want to use the installation disks from compaq and booting the floppy it says that I need a fixed disk

Why does he say that, because there is a fixed disk installed.... I also tried fdisk program to fdisk the harddisk but also that program seems te see a harddisk.. Is it just a problem because the harddisk is a apple one?? Or maybe address conflicting?
Maybe speed of the procesor, because its a NEC V20 processor that could run 12 mhz..?? Or maybe something different?

Iam also tried the active terminator / and passive terminator..

solved.

I think that the harddisk is dead... Needed serveral times to boot up.. Sometimes the harddisk would regonized. But mostly not..
I had one chance to partition it.. It wouldnt do more then 28.2MB in one partition or 14.1MB in two partitions.. When it needs to get do the partition it hangs long, the whole system is hanging..

When i reboot, then here is not harddisk detected... So i think its dead.. I go ask the seller for a refund..

The harddisk is a 80mb one.. only 28mb is a big loss..

Have you tried partitioning and formatting the drive using the Trantor/Adaptec "TFORMAT" utility, with the "/s60" parameter (sets the sector size)? I had trouble getting a T128 to see the full capacity of a 1GB CompactFlash card otherwise, once upon a time, but this solved the issue entirely.

Where can i find that Tformat utility??

But the main problem is, it have problems on detecting the drive.. The drive is a 80MB one..
When iam using an boot floppy. FASTART -> utility that makes the partition and formatting it so the drive is ready for use..
BUT mostly on booting there isnt any harddrive present.. I need to have this harddisk working, otherwise i cant use the FASTART software, then it says: NO FIXED DISK DETECTED. I had that problem BEFORE using the FASTART software.
And rarely sometimes the drive is working spontaneously, out of the blue.

I think this isnt normal. The drive needs to be every time detected..

Iam very glad now. I have solved the problem of the harddisk...

I didnt see any terminators / term jumps on the disk. But i thought by myself, lets try it without any terminator on the interface and YES the harddisk is working. Then i could Partition it..

I tried FASTART and FDISK DOS V3.31 but both still only partition 28.2MB.. But the harddisk reacts more faster now..

So now iam going to try your TFormat program, and hoping it will partition the whole drive if this is posible.

I think that the harddisk has automatic termination..

Thank you for that nec site, didnt know that was still alive and kicking..Tried to find it with google, without any results.

EDIT

@cloudschatze

I tried that software you recommend me, but it wont work on my NEC T128.. It doesnt detect the hardware with this software. It uses a different kind of memory mapping and thats not supported by my board..

The older software for this card called T128.zip does work only on my board..

Its contents the cdrom driver installation, musicbox, and the same version of SCSI test that works on my board

Your version of scsitest is the same version, but uses different kind of memory adresses / mapping adresses

Are there upgrades / patches for this card available? Maybe my card uses older software.. / bios / firmware..

These are the drives parameters:

http://www.driveparameters.com/IBM/WDS-L80/

What do i need to do with that?

Last edited:
Iam think iam going to try an other scsi host adapter from future domain i have laying over here..

Only need to buy an eprom chip, and then check it out..

Or the harddisk firmware is ****in with me, because of that max 28.2 MB limit..

Or the scsi host controller is ****in with me.. I tried already an install of ms-dos 6.22 but the harddisk didnt give me more then 28.2 MB of size..

And the other problem is, i cant find the max drive size of that NEC T128 board..
Maybe its a older one then that future domain one.. But further the harddisk is working well.. only the size is a big con..

I have find the solution.

The NEC T128 doesnt regonize more then 28.2MB when partition bigger harddisks

I tried two Future domain ones. One TMC-850M with rom 8.4. I also tested if it could boot from it. But as people mentioned it ierlier it doesnt.. The big pro of the TMC-850M host controller is the large types off memory mapping adresses. 5 or 6 kinds..

When i used that controller with my 81-84mb harddrive and using Compaq dos 3.31 it would regonize the whole disk size of 81-84 mb.. Only the big con is it doesnt have an IDE / HDD drive LED jumper on the card, so no active HDD LED, and then the turbos led is blinking..

When partition the harddisk en formatting it, i put the NEC T128. And it still detecting the full 81-84mb of the full drive..

So i think the problem is controller rated..

I also tested it with an other Future domain TMC-850 like scsi host controller card thats have a HDD LED jumper on it..

Tried it with the first 2 adresses, but no fixed disk.. So i "borrow" the rom chip from the other TMC-850M.

It detects the harddisk on scsi ID 0. And the scsi card is also on ID 0.. (so i need to set another ID) but the drive is working!

I tried the 3rd memory adress and then it detects the drive.. I think only that conflicting with the scsi host controller. But that i will solve later on..

Iam now waiting on two Intel eproms, so i can program the FD V8.2 rom in.. And then hoping it will boot from it..

And the NEC t128, i think its a useless controller card.. maybe only usefull with CD-rom players.. but useless on harddisks..

The NEC t128 only work with bigger disks if you partition and formatting the drive on a other scsi controller..

But i throw it out, because if the disks fails, and have to partition a new one i get the same problem..

Last edited:
I don't think it's the controller. I'm using a T-128 with a 1GB CompactFlash card (with a single, 1GB partition), partitioned and formatted with the TFORMAT utility, as mentioned.

As far as physical disks go, 1GB is the size limit using the onboard BIOS (1024-cylinder limitation), but I've successfully used disks up to 2GB in size with the software driver.

I have made some progress on a Future domain looking like TMC-850 one..
I have flashed that v8.2 rom in a INTEL Eprom, place it on the card and its boots from it..
And it feeling a little bit faster, maybe between my ears or so..

Only the bad i only could choose between CE00 adress or DE00.. But i have more progress on that DE00 one.. Its seems to me that this card is working great!! It also regnize 512 bla per sector.. (i think that are bigger drives)

Also tried an intel 128 eprom on the NEC t128 one, but gave me only an scratch RAM error.. I think i dont handle with 128 eproms.. So i have to wait when my UV eprom eraser will arrive, because i have a lot of eproms to erase.. When then theres one 64 eprom free i could try it again with that Trantor T130.. I think that eprom is more advanced then the older 1.12 version one thats stock on this NEC T128 card..

I don't think it's the controller. I'm using a T-128 with a 1GB CompactFlash card (with a single, 1GB partition), partitioned and formatted with the TFORMAT utility, as mentioned.

As far as physical disks go, 1GB is the size limit using the onboard BIOS (1024-cylinder limitation), but I've successfully used disks up to 2GB in size with the software driver.

Anyone knows where i can get that TFORMAT UTILITY.

I have hooked up an IBM WDS-380 SCSI 84MB drive.. On my NEC T128 scsi controller. Trying to get it alive.

When i use the t128.zip package and doing a scsitest.exe Its finds the adapter and the drive. But dos cant format it in anyway.

found the program in a vogons.org thread..

But got 2 different things now.

SCSItest.exe says.. 1 adapter 1 drive found

Tformat.exe says no adapter found..

Last edited:
Back