• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Which 8 Bit Scsi You will suggest me?

nesan

Experienced Member
Which 8 Bit Scsi You will suggest me.
I have three offers to buy TMC-850m, TMC-850MER or NEC-T128.I like to mount one in My XT Zenith 8088. To run Hard disk and cdrom. Could any one direct me to choose which is proven one?
TMC-850M Has Bootrom Ver 7.0. TMC-850MER has no Bootrom. And NEC-T128 has Bootrom.
Thank you
Nesan

The T128 is probably the best of the lot for an 8088 application. It's not really a NEC controller, but made by Trantor, which was acquired by Adaptec.

The Future Domain controllers are somewhat picky about the BIOS ROM installed.

The T128 is probably the best of the lot for an 8088 application. It's not really a NEC controller, but made by Trantor, which was acquired by Adaptec.

The Future Domain controllers are somewhat picky about the BIOS ROM installed.

I got a T128, does anyone know where I can find the drivers for this card...so I can hook up a cd-rom for example.

Hi Amigas
Is the Photo in your post is T128? If not could you sent me a photo of T128 scsi card?
Thank you

Hi Amigas
Is the Photo in your post is T128? If not could you sent me a photo of T128 scsi card?
Thank you

smallpic.gif

i'm also looking for an 8-bit bootable SCSI card for an 8-bit slot. i was given an old 96 MB seagate SCSI MFM drive recently, and without a card i have no way to use it. anybody with some info on where to get one let me know please, or if you have one you're willing to get rid of! :)

Hi Amigaz
Thanks for the photos. it is looks same. as I ordered . I bring One issue if any one can confirm it.
"The Trantor T-128 is an 8-bit ISA SCSI controller. Recommendation to be installed in PC/XT/AT386/486 compatible PCs. The Trantor T-128 SCSI controller is memory mapped SCSI card which the memory address range must be excluded from any memory manager that may be used in your config.sys file. This SCSI card will fit in any 8 bit or 16 bit card slot".
C8000h CC000h D8000h DC000h is either of these memory location should be reachable.

Is it addressable in XT 8088 system?

I thing if it is not, the bootrom part is not useful in this card! and the only way possible to do with Dos to reach 640k memory location. Please Some one correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Hi Mike Chambers
Are you alright to pay a 70us $ if yes let me know. You have to buy it from canada.

Can someone tell me how to let my harddisk work in my 8088-XT system?

What i have tried to do..

I have this stuff:

NEC T128 SCSI host adapter with bootrom (i have enable the boot rom with jumper 5 (on the jumper block)
80 MB OEM IBM SCSI drive (apple one)
50 pins scsi cable with 2 extended connectors on.
50 pin passive terminator..
No jumpers on the IRQ block jumpers (dont know which pins are which numbers.. I only can regonize pin 1 and pin 2..

When i starting my computer, i only see the massage from the boot rom.. But isnt able to detect the drive..

The harddisk is only set on SCSI ID6, i dont know where to set the scsi ID for the scsi host card..

The harddisk doesnt have terminator packs on it..

The harddisk doesnt have terminator packs on it..
Bus must be terminated on both ends; the card and on the last drive (physical attachment order, not to be confused with SCSI ID.) Check to see if the card's SCSI ID is conflicting with the target; card are usually set to 0 or 7 (but not always.) Check to see if the drive may have jumper block instead of resister networks for termination. On drive termination should be preferred over terminator blocks when possible. This should help with the jumper and switch settings.

Last edited:
Thanks for you reply dorkbert..

Yes the scsi host controller 8 bit ISA card has a terminator resistorpack on the printed circuit board..
At the end of the cable iam using an passive terminator (black block).. (maybe i need an active instead, iam thinking off)
The harddisk has on the back of the drive only pins to set the scsi ID, so i could see.. Default its set on ID6.. So i dont have change this..No termination on the harddisk i can find..

This is the harddisk iam want to use:
ibm-wds-L80-1.jpg

Iam found some piece of an old manual on the adaptecs site:

http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/_eol/scsi_host_isa/t-128/

If i read to pdf its says on the IRQ setting: (JP1)

This jumperblock is used for interrupt selection under the novell and xenix operating system, and is
not used with MS-DOS.

So its not needed to set IRQ with ms-dos....

If i read your given manual..

To use this adapter, at least one device on the bus must provide termination power

But passive terminator doesnt provide termination power.. So maybe an active terminator could solve my problem?

Last edited:
Here is the spec on the drive. It looks like it has support for active termination, so you need to remove the termination block and enable the on-drive terminator. Not sure if this drive supplies termination power, but according to this, all Apple drives supply termination power, so you're probably off the hook in that area.

Hi

I found those specs also on that stason.org site.. I was looking for the terminator jumper on the harddrive what you could see on the lay-out of the specs of that drive (that image on that stason.org site).. But there arent any jumpers behind the scsi interface where i need to connect my cable.. I only what i can find its a jumper block on the back side of the harddisk itself.. But the jumper whats now connect would be for the scsi ID of the drive.. Its factory set as ID6.. Thats also marked on the harddisk it self.. Do you maybe have more information about those terminators on the harddisks?? Maybe i dont see things i need to see.. Or maybe i have a other revision drive or so.. all i can say it is an OEM harddisk..

I found this too:

https://www1.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/wdsl8/wdsl8jum.htm

Figure 1 SCSI bus terminators jumper location and pin assignment

Note: Not all models will have terminating resistors. In cases where there is no termination, an in-line terminator will be required

My model doesnt.. I cant find a jumper block for the terminator..
I cant find that T-RES as well..

Last edited:
no, sorry i dont know. I have just bought it on ebay.. In my country its very hard to find of those SCSI drives. So i had no choice.

This is from an other thread, but maybe it solves my problem too;

It would be good to know if the SCSI card itself is seeing the drive (i.e. rule out a Windows related cause).

With a 'normal' Adaptec SCSI card, one would press CTRL-A when prompted during computer boot, in order to get into the SCSI card's BIOS menu, and then execute the option that shows what SCSI devices the card is detecting.
Does your Adaptec PCMCIA card display a "Press CTRL-A" type prompt during computer boot? If not, maybe Adaptec supplied a program to run.

Iam using the NEC T128 8-bit scsi card..

Iam planning to buy an active terminator..

But do older SCSI cards also need a special program to configure it?? or does it work also with like CTRL+A to configure?

This is from an other thread, but maybe it solves my problem too;

Iam using the NEC T128 8-bit scsi card..

Iam planning to buy an active terminator..

But do older SCSI cards also need a special program to configure it?? or does it work also with like CTRL+A to configure?

The Trantor T128 should have a boot ROM: which most likely allows configuration. The only software that's usually dealt with is drivers.

Back