• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is the loudest hard drive you own that functions?

Maybe not the loudest, but definitely the most unique startup noise: the Seagate ST-251 series.

While not a hard drive, my favorite is the diagnostic routine on the HP Scanjet 5P:

(P.S. Don't search for "hp scanjet diagnostic ode to joy" on Google Video search at work... There is an, um, "incorrect" search result fairly high up the list......)

Radio Shack had some external 12/15 meg primary drives that beeped on seek. I still have a couple working units. Should record it for the tube. I forget who makes the drive itself. Probably Tandon knowing RatShack.

Noisest Drive I've Ever Owned - Seagate ST-225 in the Compaq Deskpro 286 I used to have, that thing was set on a small end table and it would rock the table back and fourth so much I had to take it off for fear it would topple the table over.

Currently the winners are the Fujistu 3GB in my 486 which has an odd modulation to it's sound, bearings probably, however, it's always been like that since I got it 6 years ago, and the dual Connor CFS420 drives in my custom home-built XT...which the two of them together must equal one Seagate ST-225 in behavior given the volume and the fact the computer can make the table wobble if the heads are both doing something.

I've got a Miniscribe 6053 that moves itself a little ways when the drive is powered down (head parking).

vwestlife said:
Maybe not the loudest, but definitely the most unique startup noise: the Seagate ST-251 series
That is the exact startup sound my Seagate ST-277R makes.

Now that I think about it, my old Connor drives are pretty loud also, but you can't kill the damn things! The oldest working hard drive I own is a 40 MB Connor drive that still boats having MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.0 installed, pulled from my Bull SX-L before it died, as in really dead, won't even power on (I believe the voltage regulator is dead).

Well, it turns out my old 4.5 GB 10K PRM Western Digital Vantage hard drive doesn't win any awards for quietness either, nor does it win for the amount of time it takes to spin upp.

Last edited:
the st251, i have 3 of those, 2 sound like that and one just goes beep beep, like the 225s did, the later 2 grind on shut down and the 3rd kinda goes ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh when you turn it off. I know it's the auto parking, but it is kinda cool.

A Branch topic, which ones take the LONGEST to spin up/down?

Compgeke, i agree about the conners, the western digitals from that point in time are VERY quiet, and the caviar 2850s have a unique "click click, duh duh duhduhduhduh whirr whirr to them, i'l see if i cant get a youtube posting of them up

The louder one that produces the most vibration is my Seagate ST32140A. It shakes the whole living room floor and you can hear it from different rooms.

Back