• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hack a Day tried to crush my server :-0

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
I have a domain with a hosted server that gets fairly light traffic - a few hits an hour at best, mostly related to the PCjr or my mTCP project. Besides those pages I have some other technical content and animal pictures. Nothing big ...

So today I looked at Google Analytics and saw this:

traffic_graph.jpg

Wow. That's a serious spike.

It turns out that somebody at Hack-a-Day linked to a page I have describing how old Mouse Systems optical mice work ...

That was it. My 15 minutes of geekdom fame has come and gone. ;-0

Mike

I wrote the page recently but I created the mouse pad years ago. (Recently I sold a similar mouse to somebody who was having problems getting it working, so instead of just giving him directions on how to create the pad I did the entire write-up on how it works.)

I looked at the PDF file you reference while I was writing the page but my initial thought was 'there is now way that can work'. The ancient Mouse Systems mice *always* came with a grid patterned pad, not that funky 'pixel noise' pad. My mouse has very simple horizontal and vertical movement detection mechanisms - it's basically a matter of breaking the beam of light. I decided to stick with the grid pattern rather than try that PDF out.

Mike

Back