• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RL02 drive to give away

saipan59

Experienced Member
I have an RL02 drive to dispose of. It's *probably* in working condition. A couple of years ago I was able to boot RT-11 from it in an 11/23 system. It was noisy (like a washing machine on spin-dry), but it worked. Since then, I've moved it to the garage. I have the cabling, terminator, and RLV controller card too.

Ideally, I'd like someone to pick it up here in Colorado Springs.
Another option is that I deliver it to a nearby "pack-and-ship" place (of my choosing), and you pay the costs.
First choice will be given to someone who can pick it up...

If interested, I'm at: saipan59 -at- Q -dot- com.

Pete

Cool, too bad I am on the other coast! that would be uptown to have a ten meg drive as opposed to my five meg RL-01, if anyone has any of the RL-01 disk packs looking for a good home keep me in mind.
RF

You’re just making it worse! Hope someone local jumps on this being the last time I sent something from one of those pack and ship places it ended up in the hundreds of dollars, epically when you consider what a RL drive weighs. Speaking of weight just consider the weight of a RL drive verses the capacity, got to be something like ten to twelve pounds per meg on the RL01 its got to be like a microscopic fraction of a ounce per meg on modern drives. You can always sell the controller, cable and terminator on EBay and get like $100 just for that. I had to build a cable and terminator for my system and then finally found one on EBay and paid a lot for that.

That's a good idea. If nobody wants to come pick it up, maybe I'll just do an eBay sale of "RL02 parts", including controller, cables, terminator, and some electronics from inside the drive -- stuff that is easy for me to pack up and ship myself.

Pete

crys

lives in winnipeg canada

is currently aquring parts to have a pdp8a with rl02 with os8 a crazy silly project

goes back to watching the 2 i am biding on fleabay

Last edited:
Don’t know why but would think the RL8A controller for connecting a RL series drive to a PDP-8 would be like finding Hens teeth. When I think of the PDP-8 I think in terms of paper tape, RX and maybe RK drives but not the RL, but that’s just me. Who knows perhaps somewhere somebody has a PDP-8 attached to a SATA drive? I have a International Nuclear PDP-11 that’s built around a DEC 8186 CPU card, DEC memory and I/O cards and a weird drive controller card that connects to a 5 1/4 floppy and a MFM type drive, would assume it’s a Seagate 251 or something like that being that was missing when I got the system. May go drag that out and see if I can do anything with it but the issue there would be will it work with RT-11 being the storage devices are so different?

there is a controller card out there and i have a source and the guy who has it has a broken leg and knows where in his stash it is but can't get at it right now. so i am aqiring parts and if i fail i can allways hook it up to my h11

Back