• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8" Apple II floppies?

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I just ran across an 8" floppy in my collecton labeled "Apple II ProDOS". Anyone have any idea what it's from? (I can't vouch for the content as I haven't tried to read it yet)

I can tell you where it's not from - it's not from Apple. There were a small number of 8" floppy controllers out there, but they were very much the exception rather than the rule.

I hope you can save the contents of the disk. The few controllers for 8" disks on an Apple II I have heard of used Apple DOS 3.3 not ProDOS.

I have a pile of 8 inchers that supposedly has apple software on it. I have no idea how to read them.

I don't want to play with this one any more--it's shedding oxide faster than my golden retriever sheds fur. I can say that the code on the boot track (SSSD) is not Z80 code. So most likely 6502 related.

I would check 1978-80 Byte and Kilobaud mags for after market 8" drive controller ads. That might reveal clues about what was out there at the time.

I found advertisements for the Apple 8 inch floppies, but I'm going to have to backtrack to find the page again.
Read on, into other BYTE magazines, and didn't just write the info down.

Won't bore you, till I re-find it, and transcribe it here.

~Paul

8" DISK CONTROLLER
APPLE DOS COMPATIBLE
* DOUBLES APPLE ][ STORAGE
* SHUGART 800/801 COMPATIBLE
* STANDARD 1BM 3740 FORMAT
* CP/M, UCSD PASCAL CAPABILITY
Available at your local APPLE dealer: $400.

SVA
SORRENTO VALLEY ASSOCIATES
Circle 158 on Inquiry card.

excepted from BYTE Vol 05-01 1980-01 Domesticated Computers [ . pdf]

Back