• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Parts Resource

bettablue

Veteran Member
I was wondering if there was someplace you could recommend that might be able to carry old IBM parts. Recyclers are of no help, and I have contacted a coupe I have met online, but their best response was, Yeah, I have one, somewhere. I'll have to look for it and get back to you. In some cases they answer back that they were mistaken or my favorite. "Why don't you buy a new computer? :(

Here's what I'm looking for.
Extender card: IBM Part No. 9529252
Disk Cover Plate: Part No. 8529204

The first one is the extender/transmitter card for the IBM 5161 expansion unit. The 2nd is the part number for the cover plate for covering an open drive bay. Does anyone here either have, or know where I can get the Expansion unit extender card with this part number? Maybe someone here has one and doesn't know what it's for?

I have a set of extender and receiver cards that was given to me earlier by another member in the forums. These have part number 6319935 for the extender and 1501427 on the receiver. If these cards are compatible with my newly acquired IBM 5161 Expansion Unit, I will be thrilled, but if not, I will definitely need the original extender and know where to get one.

If interested, I even have a few extra ISA cards to trade, like a 384 Kb Memory upgrade, parallel/serial card and a game controller card that all been tested and known to work. My expansion unit will be arriving on Friday, but it is missing the extender card. I can't, and won't complain for the price. Luckilly, it does have the connecting cable though.

As always, thanks much. :cool:

Hi, I can't help you but thanks for posting the part number for the cover plate. I'm after a couple of these too.

Hi, I can't help you but thanks for posting the part number for the cover plate. I'm after a couple of these too.

There must be about 50 or so people looking for cover plates for one computer or another. In my case, I want it to cover the empty drive bay on the 2nd expansion unit I'll be building from parts. But who knows, maybe someday, someone will come up with a stash of them..

Something like this, FH:

P2210097.jpgP2210098.jpg

Or this, HH:

P2210099.jpgP2210100.jpg

OR, what about just using... doorstops? Or even the faceplates off of those doorstops?

What about just using... doorstops? Or even the faceplates off of those doorstops?

Pardon my ignorance, but in this terminology, what are doorstops? If you mean like a faceplate from a dead drive, I would definitely be interested in getting a couple. I currently don't have any dead full height drives, and I certainly don't want to kill one. Besides, that would kind of defeat the purpose. My best friend actually has a 5150 that I built/rebuilt for him. It has the original invoice that shows a single floppy drive, so he wants to try putting the computer back to the exact condition as when it was whe it was first purchased back in 1982. It will have a whopping 128K of RAM, single disk drive, mono video card with composite out, no monitor, etc, etc, etc. I just want to surprise him by possibly finding one of the original plates if at all possible.

But more to the point, Is there noplace I can look to try finding the extender card I need? That is the most important thing in my short list of needed parts. And probably the most difficult. I Really wish I knew if the cards I have are compatible with the expansion unit too. There just doesn't seem to be anything out there to tell me one way or the other, and where these cards originated. I can assume that if they came from a 3rd party expansion unit, that they would be compatible, because of the complete "I want to be an IBM" market back then.

I guess I'll find out when the unit arrives and I start getting into it. I even have an idea for a setup in my mind that will work pretty good on my IBM's portable desk. I'm planning to place the expansion unit on the bottom shelf, and have my printer and stand setting on top of it. That way, I don't change the angle at which the monitor sits. Don't worry, I'll have planety of pictures. I wish I had kept those two MFM drives I had a while ago instead of selling them. Now I feel like an idiot!

I wish I had thought of something like that. This makes a complete world of difference... Being disabled, and with only one arm to do anything with makes doing things like that pretty "interesting" at times, but I like the idea. Where did you get the parts for these? Depending on what I see, and other things, I may be contacting you to purchase one or two of the full height ones you made. Those look great! Did you ever think of maybe making these for sale? There are enough people out there looking for something like them. You might even make a few bucks.

Something like this, FH:

View attachment 8040View attachment 8041

Or this, HH:

View attachment 8042View attachment 8043

OR, what about just using... doorstops? Or even the faceplates off of those doorstops?

Pardon my ignorance, but in this terminology, what are doorstops? If you mean like a faceplate from a dead drive, I would definitely be interested in getting a couple. I currently don't have any dead full height drives, and I certainly don't want to kill one.
Yes, a doorstop is a dead drive. I've got a couple of FH doorstops. :)

What about the cover plate in the first two pics of my previous post? Isn't that what you're looking for? It just snaps right in with the two clips on the back.

Yes, a doorstop is a dead drive. I've got a couple of FH doorstops. :)

What about the cover plate in the first two pics of my previous post? Isn't that what you're looking for? It just snaps right in with the two clips on the back.

Yeah, I like those... I thought I replied to that one after you updated your post with the photos. But yeah, I like those. Do you sell these? If so how much? Making things like that with only one good arm isn't the easiest thing to do, and I do like your replacements a lot.

I have a set of extender and receiver cards that was given to me earlier by another member in the forums. These have part number 6319935 for the extender and 1501427 on the receiver. If these cards are compatible with my newly acquired IBM 5161 Expansion Unit, I will be thrilled, but if not, I will definitely need the original extender and know where to get one.

I can tell that they are compatible with each other and the 5161. I've been using that exact combination with my unit without any problems at all. Just make sure the cable is good.

Yeah, I like those... I thought I replied to that one after you updated your post with the photos. But yeah, I like those. Do you sell these? If so how much? Making things like that with only one good arm isn't the easiest thing to do, and I do like your replacements a lot.
Well, you did (reply). I just didn't see it right away. FWIW, I didn't make that. I've had it in my 8-bit, non-electronic hardware goodie box for over 20 years. It's the only one I have and I got it from an XT or PC when I added a drive(s) to it a long time ago. That's also where I found the HH cover and a few Seagate face plates with the little green led windows. There's also some other goodies in there like full length card guide slits that clip onto the back of the PC/XT/AT case to retain the back end of those long, full length cards. And there are some rubber footpads as well.

Well, you did (reply). I just didn't see it right away. FWIW, I didn't make that. I've had it in my 8-bit, non-electronic hardware goodie box for over 20 years. It's the only one I have and I got it from an XT or PC when I added a drive(s) to it a long time ago. That's also where I found the HH cover and a few Seagate face plates with the little green led windows. There's also some other goodies in there like full length card guide slits that clip onto the back of the PC/XT/AT case to retain the back end of those long, full length cards. And there are some rubber footpads as well.

Well, because of the AST card I installed, I now have a few of the slot guides, but I could use a few more, 'just in case'. Rubber foot pads though? I thought all of IBM's foot pads were made of cork? However, now that you mention it; when the expansion unit arrives on Friday, I'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb, so to speak. Still, we're dancing around the question. And that is, if you are willing to sell any of the pieces in your tool box or not. So???

Also, now that I am so close to a complete restoration on my PC, I want to get a few last pieces to build the system I have always wanted. For the 'Geek Factor' alone, I still want to get an acoustic coupler, and a table top style cassette tape recorder similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marantz-PMD...84060?pt=Cassette_Players&hash=item2ebb8ea7bc. I won't go and do like my best friend did on his 5150 with the Reel-to-Reel recorder he uses like a cassette... Although it does look pretty cool.

Ya, my IBM XT has cork, but my Osicom Executive 286 has those rubber ones. It also has a great WD 286 motherboard with everything on it, i.e., with no cards necessary. It used to have a modem, though. Even has a Paradise EGA chip on the motherboard.

OK, what goodies would you likely be interested in? How many slot guides? Any HH Seagate or Seagate type faceplates? Another flavor HH faceplate such as Tulin, Imprimis or Miniscribe? A FH Maxtor faceplate? A doorstop, FH or HH? Anything else?

Hey, if you ever doubted that I have a nearly full blown junkyard in my place this should surely prove you incorrect! :) :)

If you can get your hands on one of those Marantz machines, I'll guarantee you won't be disappointed. I have a PMD 420 and I just love it. Until it quit working last fall, I was using it daily on my (vintage) home system No, it ain't for sale, I will be fixing it soon. There's a seller on eBay who has belt kits for ~ $18.00, but I'm holding out till I can get to the other side of town to see if I can find 'em cheaper at the local repair shop. (Yeah, I'm that cheap all right). You'll never find a better portable recorder for the price and it rivals most home systems in the <$600 range. Meanwhile, I'm not too bad off with the Vector Research double I'm using now, but it's a little difficult to carry around with me, y'know.

Oh yeah, I also have here, in my hot lil' hand, one (1) only FH faceplate from an actual IBM hdd, complete with the logo in the upper left corner, and a red LED. you're welcome to it for shipping (USPS Flat Rate, ~$6.00). Just keep me in mind if you find yourself with an extra receiver card, I could use one (although I don't actually need it).

--T

Last edited:
I won't say sold just yet. I have too many other things going on. The biggest of course id the expansion unit which will be here the day after tomorrow. I was really hoping to get either the extender card I mentioned, or a confirmation that the ones I have would work. My thinking is that they will, but I want to make sure. Because if they don't then I won't have any kind of reference to be sure, one way or another. I also made contact with someone else who supposedly has everything to build an expansion unit, with the exception of the original case. He's giving me the lot, if he can get to the back of the pile to locate the correct boxes. As you can expect, I'm not expecting to hear anything for a little while on that stuff just yet. If by chance he is able to locate everything and it's all there, I'll give you everything I don't need. Which means you'll be in the same position I'm in right now.

There is one more option I wish I could get info on... These are the ones who told me to get a new computer. (Yeah, I wanted to reach through my email program and do something magical to give them a virtual slap like they have never seen before) But they have a complete set of extender, receiver cards and the cable. Their web site does not have any pricing though. Again, all I need to know i if these parts will work in the IBM expansion unit. So far, I haven't been able to get a srraight answer.

Here's the web page for those of you who are interested: http://cyberresearch.com/store/cables-wiring/pc-computer-cables/CBL_6203_7356.2.htm.

I do have one of those $1995 Radio Shack shoe box cassette tape recorders. The hell of it is that the tape counter is broken. I have to judge where different programs are on a tape. But so far, it been working.

So, my friends, keep watch here. I'll have some updates as soon as I can get something figured out.

If you can get your hands on one of those Marantz machines, I'll guarantee you won't be disappointed. I have a PMD 420 and I just love it. Until it quit working last fall, I was using it daily on my (vintage) home system No, it ain't for sale, I will be fixing it soon. There's a seller on eBay who has belt kits for ~ $18.00, but I'm holding out till I can get to the other side of town to see if I can find 'em cheaper at the local repair shop. (Yeah, I'm that cheap all right). You'll never find a better portable recorder for the price and it rivals most home systems in the <$600 range. Meanwhile, I'm not too bad off with the Vector Research double I'm using now, but it's a little difficult to carry around with me, y'know.

Oh yeah, I also have here, in my hot lil' hand, one (1) only FH faceplate from an actual IBM hdd, complete with the logo in the upper left corner, and a red LED. you're welcome to it for shipping (USPS Flat Rate, ~$6.00). Just keep me in mind if you find yourself with an extra receiver card, I could use one (although I don't actually need it).

--T

I was really hoping to get either the extender card I mentioned, or a confirmation that the ones I have would work. My thinking is that they will, but I want to make sure. Because if they don't then I won't have any kind of reference to be sure, one way or another.
I don't get it; you said
And Per said:
I can tell that they are compatible with each other and the 5161. I've been using that exact combination with my unit without any problems at all. Just make sure the cable is good.
So why are you still going on and on about these cards? What else do you need to know (other than whether your cards are good of course)?

I don't get it; you said And Per said:So why are you still going on and on about these cards? What else do you need to know (other than whether your cards are good of course)?

Thanks Mike for pointing that out to me. With all of the activity, Pers, response got lost at the bottom of page 1. I didn't mean to look like I was ignoring anyone. Sorry per! (BB Bows)

So to PER... Thanks much! As I stated, I am a very happy geek then. And since I am still getting all of the parts from someone else (But still don't know when because the person who has them right now told me they're burried at the back of a very large warehouse worth of stuff.) When these come in my best freind is going to have a surprise. Because once those come in, I have another 5161 case lined up, and he can rebuild his own expansion unit.

Thanks again everyone!

Per, like I said in Mikes post. Thank you. It was not my intention to ignore you in any way. It's just like I said, there was so much going on that your reply got lost at the bottom of page 1 and I didn't get an email notification.

But you have mage this geeek a very happy person. :eek:nfire:

Thank you so very much!:D

BTW Lucas, Nice site. I haven't contacted them because I got the response I was looking for, but this is one of those sites I'll be keeping in my favorites list.

Thankd for the link and the luck. It has paid off.

I always get answers like that here... Good luck in your search.

did you try on http://computerreset.com/ ? They have a large inventory...
and ask Chuck, the man is Very skilled with all IBM stuff.

Back