• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

storage auction...help!!!

kristaheid

motherboards 001.jpgmotherboards 007.jpgmotherboards 008.jpgmotherboards 009.jpgmotherboards 011.jpgHello. I am not a collector of vintage computers. I actually know very little about computers in general. I was hoping that someone could help me out with some items that I received in a storage auction. The locker was full of vintage computing systems from Wright Patterson Air Force Base and some from the University of Cincinnati. I have over 100 motherboards (or boards that look like motherboards) of all sorts/types/sizes and they are covered with gadgets and gizmos that I have no idea about. I am going to attempt to post some pictures that are just a taste of what I have in the locker. I would GREATLY appreciate any info you may be able to provide. Thanks in advance!

I'm certainly no expert but all the pictures you've posted look to be from communications equipment. Perhaps telephone systems. I hope you find out what everything is and you find it a good home.

Heather

The first board is an unknown to me. At first, I thought it might be a memory board, but all of those DIP resistor packs wouldn't fit. Some sort of 20/40 line digital I/O board, perhaps?
The second board is definitely a memory board to some Eurocard-type minicomputer--can't say that I recognize it.
The third card is a fiber-optic transceiver board to some unknown piece of equipment.
The fourth card is a mystery--perhaps a card from a 9-track tape drive?
The fifth card is an in-house lashup. Looks to be a couple of RTL BCD counters (MC780P) and some BCD-to-decimal decoders (MC770P) driving some TO-220 darlington transistors. Probably intended as some sort of clock display.

Cool find, you're a collector now ;-) One trick of course is to google around for any numbers you see on the boards in question. After a few results you'll sometimes come to a conclusion of what it came from.

The second board is definitely a memory board to some Eurocard-type minicomputer--can't say that I recognize it.

Pretty sure it's a Sun 501-1451 32mb card. Could be the 16mb one though. From early Sun VME systems like the 4/260. Looks like things are missing though.

Thank you all for the great info. I must say that I am a bit overwhelmed with this purchase. I am sure you would laugh at me if you saw the mess of boards in the back of my truck. I have them loaded to take for scrap/gold recovery but just cant muster up the courage to do it! I keep hoping my search will turn up something of great value! Ugh! ;). Again, I really do appreciate your time and knowledge.

Photos of all of the boards will definitely help. We'll do our best to identify--some may be worth well beyond their scrap value. In any case, if you're going to scrap a board, socketed ICs should be separated and saved, as they're worth very little as scrap, but can be worth real money if they're uncommon.

If you do remove the ICs, you should put them in anti-static foam, tubes or silver foil as they will be more likely to work for those buyers who need them as spare parts to repair equipment they may have.

Agreed. If you're willing to take the time to photograph the items, a lot of us will be willing to direct you in which ones you should scavenge and scrap and which you should save and sell.

Between a number of us, we should be able to ID most of it.

If anything, find out what you can and offer them here or somewhere for purchase first for a while. Afterwards you can go that route if you don't get interest in whatever extra boards, or offer the left overs up for a price higher than scrap. Most folks need a few obscure cards but not all so it's probably more profitable with a little effort to offer them up, especially this group and we can link it a few other spots for ya.

Back