• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from Richmond, VA!

ProfessorK

Hey everyone!

Introducing myself seemed like a good idea. I'm Kris, a 22 year old guy who grew up in a tiny town in the foresty middle of New York state. I've always had a healthy (or unhealthy, to some) obsession with technology that was, for the most part, beyond my years. As a child I used to disassemble broken VCR's with a friend for fun. As I got older, my attention turned to PC's. My first computer, in 2003 mind you, was a Pentium 1 Packard Bell desktop (don't recall the specific model) and even though the tech was leagues behind the top of the line at the time, I loved it. My next machine was viewed as a step back by some, as it was an IBM Personal Computer XT with an monochrome monitor. Once again, love at first sight.

As time went on I amassed a huge collection of classic videogames, ranging from the Atari 2600 up until the PSone (my focus was mainly systems at least 1 generation behind). The collection spanned over 15 consoles and 300+ games. My friends all thought this was cool, but what they never understood was my Macintosh 512Ke That I would pour over for hours, or my Powerbook 1400cs, Powerbook 520, IBM desktops, Commodore 64... You get the idea. They also didn't understand why I had a need for all this stuff, when a (in comparison) unused Alienware M15x sat on my desk gathering dust, haha.

Sadly, life got hard and much of my collection (Games, computers, records, 8-tracks, cassettes, VCR's... You name it, I collected it) was sold off so I could fund my recent, life-changing move to Richmond. And now we are in the present! That's enough with the life story! Basically, I'm a techy-geek who loves any tech older than I am, loves comics, loves collecting action figures and... I am a baker. Which is probably the one piece of the puzzle that seems out of place. :D

Welcome to the board. I've only been here a short time and really love these forums. So much knowledge here. And a great place to buy and sell stuff at below ebay prices. What more could you ask for.

Welcome to the forums Kris. Sorry to hear that you had to thin your collection so much, but how many items do you have now? Feel free to post pictures of them.

I have a bread maker and use it way too much! :) Especially making Sourdough.

Thanks everyone!

As far as what items I have now, I really just have the Apple IIc system that I picked up from a thrift store today (pictured below), and my collection of Ninja Turtles comics. I'm fine with starting my collection over, though, and in a whole new place. It will be really fun.

IMG_20120410_195858.jpg

Don't mind Druid, fortunately he's not bitter ;-) Welcome! Sounds pretty much on par with the rest of us. Having a great time enjoying computers of yesteryear that we may or have not have had a chance to play with or afford in our previous lives. That's the charm of the hobby for a lot of folks as well as the fun of fixing (wow typo..why is u so close to i anyway?!) up old tech which for the most part is so much nicer and easier to repair than the new throw away items that folks create today.

I digress, but great to see new faces as well.

Hey everyone!

Introducing myself seemed like a good idea. I'm Kris, a 22 year old guy who grew up in a tiny town in the foresty middle of New York state. I've always had a healthy (or unhealthy, to some) obsession with technology that was, for the most part, beyond my years. As a child I used to disassemble broken VCR's with a friend for fun. As I got older, my attention turned to PC's. My first computer, in 2003 mind you, was a Pentium 1 Packard Bell desktop (don't recall the specific model) and even though the tech was leagues behind the top of the line at the time, I loved it. My next machine was viewed as a step back by some, as it was an IBM Personal Computer XT with an monochrome monitor. Once again, love at first sight.

As time went on I amassed a huge collection of classic videogames, ranging from the Atari 2600 up until the PSone (my focus was mainly systems at least 1 generation behind). The collection spanned over 15 consoles and 300+ games. My friends all thought this was cool, but what they never understood was my Macintosh 512Ke That I would pour over for hours, or my Powerbook 1400cs, Powerbook 520, IBM desktops, Commodore 64... You get the idea. They also didn't understand why I had a need for all this stuff, when a (in comparison) unused Alienware M15x sat on my desk gathering dust, haha.

Sadly, life got hard and much of my collection (Games, computers, records, 8-tracks, cassettes, VCR's... You name it, I collected it) was sold off so I could fund my recent, life-changing move to Richmond. And now we are in the present! That's enough with the life story! Basically, I'm a techy-geek who loves any tech older than I am, loves comics, loves collecting action figures and... I am a baker. Which is probably the one piece of the puzzle that seems out of place. :D

Kris, come on up to the Vintage Computer Festival East next month -- click the banner ad on this site, or the link in my signature for details.

Kris, come on up to the Vintage Computer Festival East next month -- click the banner ad on this site, or the link in my signature for details.

I really want to try. I just started a new job (recent move and all), so hopefully I can get the time and the money to do so. I'm also having a hard time seeing how I would get there. There isn't a greyhound that goes right to Wall, NJ and I don't have a car.

@barythrin It's good to be here, thanks! I'm glad to have finally found a place populated by like-minded individuals!

Last edited:
Welcome to VCF Kris... Nice IIc there, wish i had the monitor for mine, i'm jealous! You'll like it here I promise! Some of us are younger, myself I am 32. I had the chance to play with most of these toys growing up! But I can totally relate with loving technology older then you are, I share the same interests... I have consoles from the Magnavox Odyssey to PS3, and most inbetween. Especially Sega, im a huge Sega freak >.>

And its not weird for you to be a baker, I love to cook myself, even worked at a banquet hall a few years, and learned alot from top chefs! :D

To me sounds like you enjoy life! =)

Welcome to VCF Kris... Nice IIc there, wish i had the monitor for mine, i'm jealous! You'll like it here I promise! Some of us are younger, myself I am 32. I had the chance to play with most of these toys growing up! But I can totally relate with loving technology older then you are, I share the same interests... I have consoles from the Magnavox Odyssey to PS3, and most inbetween. Especially Sega, im a huge Sega freak >.>

And its not weird for you to be a baker, I love to cook myself, even worked at a banquet hall a few years, and learned alot from top chefs! :D

To me sounds like you enjoy life! =)

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

The IIc monitor is what initially caught my eye from across the store. I sprinted over to it and found the whole setup! Monitor, computer, cables... The lot! Finding in the wild is and always will be better than eBay or the like, I tell you what.
I am also a lover of all things Sega. My all time favorite console is the Saturn, It's so underrated!

You have to do what you love and enjoy life! If not, then why be here at all? ;)

Well, I have been gone for some time so I thought posting here would be best. I fell on some hard times, had to sell off my Apple IIc and the 486 I picked up. Moved back home to central NY state with my parents till I get going again. Luckily my old job in a butchery was still open! I'm only 22 so I feel that the fact that I even went off on my own these days and moved across a few states is mildy impressive :)

Currently, I have one computer. It was my very first computer ever (my family had ones before this, but this was my personal first). I left it here in NY since I moved by Greyhound. It's an older HP brio. It had an 800 MHZ celeron in it but I recently upgraded that to a 1 GHZ Pentium 3. Other than that it's got a 20 GB hard drive, 256 ram and on-board graphics. The old girl shows her age on the internet, but other than that she still knows how to make me smile. Feels good to be back on these boards. Now I just need to get a (more) vintage machine so I fit in again!

Back