• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Donating an Apple IIGS, it won't startup.

facattack

Veteran Member
Everything is plugged in. I swapped the default power supply in and took out the black one that came with Vulcan hard drive. Then I removed the default power supply and put back in the black one. The plug that goes into the motherboard seems to only fit in one way.

The machine does show a scrambled screen on the RGB monitor. I do notice that the power light on the Apple IIGS doesn't completely light up. It's attached to a power strip. Can it not be recieving enough current?

I know from experience that daisy-chaining the disk drives together and into the machine is tricky. Could things have broken when I drove it to the new location? But the disk drives aren't being accessed.

Everything is plugged in. I swapped the default power supply in and took out the black one that came with Vulcan hard drive. Then I removed the default power supply and put back in the black one. The plug that goes into the motherboard seems to only fit in one way.

The machine does show a scrambled screen on the RGB monitor. I do notice that the power light on the Apple IIGS doesn't completely light up. It's attached to a power strip. Can it not be recieving enough current?

I know from experience that daisy-chaining the disk drives together and into the machine is tricky. Could things have broken when I drove it to the new location? But the disk drives aren't being accessed.

It could be several different things. When was the last time you booted it and it worked correctly? Other than putting it your car and taking it somewhere else have you done anything else to it before you tried booting and discovered the problem? Take out all the extra cards you have plugged into it and try booting and see what happens. If it's not trying to boot off of an external drive check your control panel settings to see what it is trying to boot from. Hopefully you didn't accidentally fry something when you swapped out power supplies. Leave the lid off and try booting and check for any chips that might be too hot. Hopefully someone else who is more of a hardware guru than I am will also chime in and we can help you fix the problem.

Dean

A lot of times a scrambled display can mean either a failed processor or a failed accelerator card if you have a Transwarp GS or Zip GSX board installed it could be bad. You can find replacement processors very easy online for less than $10, I'd give that a shot.

Ugh. It worked very recently.

I was thinking that I'd sell it without the hard drive so I swapped the power supplies and took out the hard drive. It worked at home when I hooked it up on my bed but it was plugged directly into a wall outlet.

Is the plug for the power supply keyed somehow? So it can only fit in one way? It looked that way. I wanted to donate the machine so they can raise money at a non-profit. I was thinking that if it didn't sell with the hard drive (broken) that I shoulda bought a new CPU box thingie for it... As it is now it has a stickers saying it has a hard drive inside on the outside of the CPU box.

It'll be a few days before I can get back up there. I'll take out the Transwarp RAM card...

EDIT: I emailed the owner of http://www.apple2online.com/ in regards to buying a new Apple II GS unit to replace the one I have.

Last edited:
Back