• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage computers and IPv6.

DOS lives on!!

Veteran Member
Since someday the internet will switch from IPv4 to IPv6, will vintage computers be able to handle this? I've read that only XP and up can support it. Does this mean that DOS networking will be no more or is there a way to allow older OSs and hardware to accept the assignment of IPv6 addresses?

I think IPv4 on the consumer end will be around for a very long time--there's just too much equipment that depends upon it. Linux has supported IPv6 for a very long time.

I wouldn't worry.

There were quite a few proposals to allow IPv4 only hosts to access IPv6 only resources. I don't think any of them got off the ground though.

I think home networks will be fine using ipv4 and just routers using ipv6 on the external interface. Not sure what costs the cheapest though so that will be what wins in the end. But unless one intends to host over a million computers directly to the internet and not using NAT, etc then I guess you could worry more about it.

I agree with barythrin. It would make the most sense during the transitional phase from IPv4 to IPv6 to make routers that will convert from one to the other. At least I hope that's what will happen. :)

Heather

I hope Linksys (Cisco) will step up and do that. They have many products that convert one signal to another. But at least we're safe for now.

I agree with Chuck(G).
Most of what I consider vintage computers barely supports TCP/IP at all; no IPv6 in sight. :)

Well, I know that my DSL modem (potentially) supports IPv6, as it's Linux-based. My mailserver/router is also Linux, so it can take IPv6 in and service the network using IPv4. No big issues as I see them. But it isn't going to happen for a long, long, time. Heck, my DSL is about 1Mbps with no upgrades in sight.

I agree with Chuck(G).
Most of what I consider vintage computers barely supports TCP/IP at all; no IPv6 in sight. :)

mTCP will have IPv6 support. I started looking at it 2 years ago and decided it was not worth getting worried about. When people need it, I'll add it ..

Mike

Back