• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Low power linux machin

kb2syd

Veteran Member
I'm looking to create a low power linux machine to run a custom, text based, very low bandwidth application.
I need to attach the following devices:
Keyboard
2 x USB -> Serial adapters
Ethernet

Anyone have any hardware suggestions that I might find for a reasonable (less than $100) price?

The dual CPU rack server with a 3 drive raid array is way overkill and I'm tired of the electric bill to run it.

This is for a broke non-profit so pricing is important (less than $100 for the system itself).

Thanks,
Kelly

I run an HP E90 (Neoware) thin client. Paid almost nothing for it; replaced the 1GB DOM with a CF adapter (the client has a 44-pin laptop IDE header). Uses an 800MHz VIA Esther CPU, 512MB memory has PS/2-style keyboard and mouse ports, VGA, 2 real RS232 ports, 1 parallel, network, 4xUSB 2.0 and audio.

The PSU's in the same small box and I believe the consumption to be less than 18W.

It runs Debian just fine, can boot from the internal drive, USB floppy, external CD, or flash drive.

I see plenty of Neoware thin clients. Prices range from a few dollars to a couple of hundred. Only one E90 on ebay right now for $70. I'll see what else I can install a CF or laptop drive in.

Thanks

The next-to-last E90 I paid for on eBay was $18 with free shipping. Turned out to be a brand-new in original boxes unit. The last one wasn't new, but cost $30 with free shipping--and included a CA19 client and a bunch of DOMs and flash drives tossed in, along with extra case parts.

Bargains do exist--be sure to know your subject--the E90 is often referred to as a CA21. There's also a 1GHz version of the thing as well.

Patience is the word here.

You might search local craigslistings for free computers. Most likely anything within the last 15 years can run that text based linux app. Worst case scenario you or they could even put the word out. If they're a registered non-profit most likely folks would donate an old computer that's been sitting in the closet after an upgrade at home for free or a tax write off.

I've got lots of machines that can do what I need to do (probably more than a dozen). The key here was something low power. Less than 50w if possible. None of the machines I have run that cool.

There is a windows version of the application that I used to run on an old XP SP 1 Gateway box running at 1.8GHz. Even that was more than I needed with windows' overhead.

Hm. Any idea what specs it really needs? Does it need a monitor or is headless ok? At some point vintage gear may not be powerful enough but you could potentially get something cool like a Xybernaut MA-V or something to run it headless or some other neat old gear/portable system.

It would probably be enough but I only have one so far. The only real requirement is that it can run Perl 5, handle 2 serial ports and one ethernet port, and have some way to monitor. This is for a low volume dxspider server.

You may also want to look through the scrappers for an old HP e-PC 40. Runs from a wall wart and was popular with the RV crowd because it would work with a 12VDC supply.

or find a Geode or some such type of system. Catches are processing speed and architecture though.

Found a Neoware CA21. Should be enough for what I'm trying to do. I have a 5 GB micro drive that will be perfect for it.

While a bit over your target price ($125) for a bare board, have you considered something like the beagleboard? 1ghz Arm A8 would be overkill for a textmode app.

Another possibility is a cheap arm tablet or netbook - you can pick those up for $50 or less... They only come with 512 megs of RAM and 2 gigs of Flash, and the 800mhz ARM is a bit anemic, but for textmode-only linux it's probably overkill. They typically ship with WinCE, but I've heard it's not a big deal to get linux onto them.

Couple months ago I saw them in typical pressed plastic packaging at Walgreens for $100 a pop under the Sylvania brand....and those were 1ghz with Android on it, which is basically linux anyhow.

Yeah, here they are on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-Android-Tablet-Foldable-Keyboard/dp/B0067I1VQQ

According to their website Sears, Kmart and the like carry them too. (though those are $20-$30 more).

You want low power, ARM is what you want -- well, that or a VIA C7, but those will run you more. If you really need X86, and aren't willing to play around with hardware or firmware too much, you should double your budget and get a nettop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107075 - arm for low power.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103440 - atom for mid-power

Oh, and there are the Froyo based ARM machines.... this one is right at your price point!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883254001

Not sure what it would entail neutering that down from Android to normal text mode linux would be though.

Last edited:
Found a Neoware CA21. Should be enough for what I'm trying to do. I have a 5 GB micro drive that will be perfect for it.

If you need help setting up the CA21, drop me a line. Shouldn't be any problem, particularly if you have a short 44-conductor female-female ribbon cable and a laptop IDE-to-CF adapter.

I got the machine on Friday. I like.
Took about 2 hours to get everything running. Still burning in before I put it in place. Total cost including all the adapters and a 4 GB microdrive is around $40. Has real PS/2 ports too so it will work well with my old KVM. Of course this thing can run headless for all it matters.

I'm going from a 1u rack server with dual PIII CPU and 3 80GB drives to a little piece about the size of a hardcover book. I think I might add a fan to keep things cooler.

Back