• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What OS is this? a trivia question.

Ok I guess Barythrin is closest to it. Actully NT 4.0 It's the PM sub system for Windows NT. Originally released as an add on for NT 3.1. Microsoft kept updating it until Windows 2000. That's when they finally stopped support the OS/2 subsystem. Been fun lots of smart people out there. But had to intentionally hide some details to keep you guessing. Next 2 Pictures should give it away

Attachments

• 100_0983.jpg
    100_0983.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_0984.jpg
    100_0984.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1
Man, I was going to throw my vote up there for "OS/2 2.1 with Win OS/2", I actually have that in the original box! I can't remember if it came with Reversi or not and had some backdated apps or not.

Sorry, been away most of the day. I remember that PM under NT 4.0 was, well, less than perfect. Support for 16-bit non-PM code was still present in Win2K, but dropped from XP. Curiously, the FORCEDOS command still remains in XP for old "bound" OS/2 binaries.

Having programmed both OS/2 and Windows apps, I preferred OS/2--the documentation was so much better. If the OS/2 manual said that something worked a certain way, it probably did.

I actually like playing the pegs game. Kinda like sitting a cracker barrel playing with theres until your food comes. As far as I know and I said before I think these 2 games were only available with this add on. But of course I could be wrong. It has happened on more than one occasion! It also runs Word for OS/2 Excel for OS/2 and a bunch of others. Yep these 2 mainstream apps were developed for OS/2! Have Word 1.1b and excel 2.2 and 3.0 for OS/2.

The devkits for (pre-Warp) OS/2 were something to behold. A huge pile of printed manuals and a jillion floppies, all in the same box--probably weighed about 30 lbs. I think I've still got Microsoft C and MASM for OS/2 here somewhere, as well as the devkit. Windows devkits were much less impressive--I think I have the Windows 3.0 DDK in its box here somewhere and it's about the size of a Word for Windows box of the same time.

Devkits back then cost real money--but you got great support.

Back