• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Cray 2 for sale?

There is a guy in Oklahoma (Craigslist ad) that had a YMP-EL for sale for $2500. I read the ad and he stripped almost all of the boards out of it and an expansion cabinet. I guess when they strip the copper out of houses while people are at work, I guess we can't expect these machines to stay unmolested for the metals. I am thinking the SGI O2K machines I have will be as close to having a Cray as I will get.

There is a guy in Oklahoma (Craigslist ad) that had a YMP-EL for sale for $2500. I read the ad and he stripped almost all of the boards out of it and an expansion cabinet. I guess when they strip the copper out of houses while people are at work, I guess we can't expect these machines to stay unmolested for the metals. I am thinking the SGI O2K machines I have will be as close to having a Cray as I will get.

That would be me. I listed it because I will be moving soon and won't have room for it. I was not the one who stripped it, a scrapper had already raided the cabinet before I rescued it from being completely recycled. He took all of the boards and drives but left the back planes, power supplies and drive racks and a bunch of the internal cabling (some of which had been cut). The cabinet is essentially a fancy standard equipment rack now; I was planning on building a render farm in it at one point.

I realize the price I listed it at on Craigslist is high. I just pulled a number out of my butt and tossed it out there since there's not exactly much to go on as far as completed auctions or what-not. That's part of the reason I put "open to offers" in the listing.

It's a shame that these systems are worth more as scrap metal than collector's pieces, but with the price of metal being what it is (and the size of these systems being what they are), it can be difficult to justify the purchase.

That would be me.

Hey, dstone. Yeah, the timing isn't good for these machines with precious metals so high. Lots of mainframe carcasses like yours out there. I know where another complete Cray is located and I made an offer but the counteroffer was still out of the question. I'm glad I have been able to grab what I have over the years because the pickings are pretty slim and the competition is huge for this stuff now. Paul Allen and his guys are aggressively going after all the good stuff and he has the pockets to pay whatever they want.

It seems just a few years ago there were so many personal museum sites. Most people have sold their stuff on Ebay and moved on it seems. The broken links alone on VCF's site tell the tale well.

Too bad your so far. Would still be interested in your Cray if we could work a deal.

Anyone know the date on that? I laughed, I cried, and I am adding that trackball at 04:30 onto my wishlist!

You mean one of these? I am pretty sure they are the guys who also made the 3D Trackball in the video. They've switched to a knob now instead of a ball though... But you do get a cool LCD on your mouse! ;)

From the "Vintage Computer" discussion on linkedin:

Crays for sale...

I know someone unloading a large number of vintage cray supercomputers... if anyone has an interest shoot me a message or post here. Just a heads up the smallest big iron box clocks in around 2k lbs, largest is around 15k lbs. These do not have boards in them. Scrap value on most boxes starts around $10k and go up from there due to amount of gold, silver etc.

Also a number of later air cooled boxes available. Some of these complete and could be brought back up.
18 hours ago

http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?v...wBjLE28YyDIxcyEO7_TA_giuRN#commentID_83450786

So I posted this in Linked in.... How do they get to the 10k price.... it's not as far off as you think. Take a T932 (which they have)... it's weighing in at 10k lbs. Mostly stainless steel. @.70 lb that's 7k. Now the power supplies are in there and a bunch of connectors, there's a few oz of gold. That T932 also comes with both cooling towers, 2-3k lbs each. There's another $4200 in scrap.

I know he has a few of the T series (T90, T94, T916) he has a C90 which is a monster, probably 15k lbs - 20k lbs. The air cooled all have boards, the big iron... some have boards but that ups the price. I.e. on a T90 a cpu board had an insane 10-12 oz of gold. That puts the board at $16k alone.

Back