• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Proxy Cache Software

lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
I could have sworn that we had a thread on this from a while back, but an advanced search revealed nothing.

I have a 1 meg wireless connection and business now involved reloading allot of machines including downloading updates. Now I realize I can download the updates manually, but to manually install 100 (post Service Pack) updates is nuts. There has to be some proxy cache software out there that is good that will capture what I download initially and can tell the difference when I go to get it again and pull it out of the proxy instead of plug up my pipe again.

Ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,
Daniel

If they're Windows machines, follow Chuck(G)'s suggestions and then use GPO's to push them onto client machines (keeping automatic updates off on the clients)
patscc

You can still download the post-fixes onto a server and distribute them via GPO, and I think you can actually have the hosting server automatically pull the updates, which your GPO then distributes.
patscc

GPOs I thought are just for domains? I'm not sure what they call it now (WSUS) is the offline/local Windows (Something) Update Service where you can have the updates on a local server. I'm not sure if the system just uses dns to find out if there's a local server or if it also uses the domain to do the trick. I haven't done it via decentralized computer systems that aren't part of a corporate domain.

Most of the folks I know just end up making their build server or update cd/dvd themselves. You can use a little batch file to run all the patches in the current directory.

Here's the quick code for ya:
Code:
for /F %%a in ('dir /b/on/a-d *.exe') do start /wait %%a /q

I'll see about setting up WSUS on my Windows Home Server. Oddly, if I would have been on the development team, it is a feature I would have put into Windows Home Server (at least V1). Hopefully it won't break anything.

Back