• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

just acquired c65

Gotta say, I'm a bit envious of the problems you run into ;-) I don't know enough about it but you could also try Bo Zimmerman (zimmers.net). I'm not sure if it's a chip that can be recreated or if it's really a functional part (I'm guessing the latter).

Graphics and Sound Powered by CSG 4567 (VIC-III) ("Bill" chip, named for designer Bill Gardei); standard 64 modes (40x25, 320x200, etc.) plus 80x25 text (with blink, bold, underline); true bitplane graphics: VGA-style 320x200x256 (from a palette of 4096 colours), 640x200x256, 640x400x16, 1280x200x16, 1280x400x4; reportedly can display Amiga OCS IFF. Special facility for address resolution (Display Address Translator [DAT]) of that wacky 64 pixel coordinate system. PAL only, no NTSC (but the RGB output works just fine with the 1084S)

No substitute, you have to have a bill chip, and the right version for the revision of the board.

More information on the c65.

http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/ckb/secret/65.html

Later,
dabone

I've often wondered if these "incomplete" systems were a result of Software Hut (which I believe acquired all these) robbing peter to pay paul to make working systems, or if they were in fact engineering prototypes that were sent out to various team members without the additional parts. As such, I wonder if the software burned in the PROM would spit out any debug info out the user port if you hooked up a RS232 adapter to it...

It's sort of amusing how the auction description says: "I don't think there's any danger of it breaking in normal use but I wouldn't stack anything heavy on it." Even if it did have the VIC-III chip in it somehow I doubt it would be getting much "use".

It's sort of amusing how the auction description says: "I don't think there's any danger of it breaking in normal use but I wouldn't stack anything heavy on it." Even if it did have the VIC-III chip in it somehow I doubt it would be getting much "use".

Note to self : if Bill chip acquired, stack computer on top prior to use.

Wow. over $3000. Hardcore collector! The "bill" chip looks to be a custom made chip so I would doubt there wold be another way to acquire it other than getting another c65mobo. (I'm suprised that there havn't been any replica machines made of the c65 other wise you could trnsplant the mobo from the replica in the original case)

I believe the Commodore 65 both was too unfinished (a lot of different revisions out there) and too complex to easily come up with a replica. Even if there was one, it'd probably have some CPLD instead of unique custom chips, so you couldn't swap chips from it. Compare if you like with the Minimig and similar projects, which software wise rather well can emulate an Amiga 500 but doesn't implement the physical chips. So far only MESS has a go at emulating Commodore 65, and I suppose that emulation is based on one or two machines' specific behaviour.

Wow. over $3000. Hardcore collector! The "bill" chip looks to be a custom made chip so I would doubt there wold be another way to acquire it other than getting another c65mobo. (I'm suprised that there havn't been any replica machines made of the c65 other wise you could trnsplant the mobo from the replica in the original case)

A few of these have turned up on eBay in the past 3-5 years, and they always sell in the thousands of dollars range... and they are usually unworking to boot.

Back