• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows for Pen for Compaq Concerto.

I believe I have an IBM win 3.1 pen dev environment of some sort. I guess uou'd use to make pen software in C. If I get a chance I will review disks and copy/post. I think its a windows 3.1 add on from IBM, presumaby for the thinkpad developer.

Is Compaq's Softpaq SP1189 what you need?

I'll give that a try Wednesday and see if that works.

I believe I have an IBM win 3.1 pen dev environment of some sort. I guess uou'd use to make pen software in C. If I get a chance I will review disks and copy/post. I think its a windows 3.1 add on from IBM, presumaby for the thinkpad developer.

Does it look similar to this set?
100_2311.jpg

Gave it a try and no, it is not a replacement for the incompatible VGAP.drv penabled display driver that we are finding on our install disks. :(

Hi guys,

I looked through my old Concerto disks and found that I had downloaded a couple of Compaq Softpaqs with the pen drivers. I did a Google search on the numbers and found the motherload! All of the Softpaqs can be downloaded here <ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/>. These are the two that I had downloaded back in the day:

[SP1189] Windows 3.1x Pen Driver for Concerto
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp1001-1500/sp1189.txt
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp1001-1500/sp1189.exe

[SP0838] Allows PenDOS Version 2.21 to operate on a Compaq Concerto
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp0501-1000/0501.txt
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp0501-1000/sp0838.zip

Good luck! Let me know if this was helpful.

Paul

@pdobranski, there are absolutly NO drivers on the Compaq or HP ftp for Windows 3.1... both of them I have a local mirror of and there is nothing on it...

The first file you mentioned is an updated CPQVPEN.386 file for sesolving glitches from the first release. The file could be usefull for 386 mode but you will also need the alignment configuration.
The second file you mentioned is for PenDOS. I have never seen it or could get my hand on it so cannot test if it works but since it is a full driver pack like the Windows 95 drivers it should work...

But thanks anyway... every help, brainwaves and other possibilities are more than helpful!

Is Compaq's Softpaq SP1189 what you need?

See the earlier posts above your post. I hate to say it but it seems that these are literally the only drivers Compaq does not have on their website. :(

Thanks anyway...

while reorganizing my attic i found my old compaq concerto with all the original diskettes. If you are interested let me know.
What are you exactly looking for or do you want a copy of the lot.

best regards,

hans

Imaging the whole lot of disks is the best approach. Then we essentially have the ability to run our concerto's with the stock Compaq installation and expand from there instead of asking you for a single file on one of the disks and hoping it's the one.

@hansk, WOW! That's great news!!

As NeXT said it would be great to image them all to preserve them and restore surviving Concerto's back to original.

If you want to know how to make proper disk images? Let me know! Just a small tip, write protect EVERY disk before making an image. Windows 9x changes the headers of the disks and Windows NT writes a last access date to the disk.

If you also can make a scan of the disks (or even a clear photo) that would make my day even more complete.

I had a closer look on my diskset. I have got a Compaq diagnostics disk (german language) and on May 21st 1994, I made a backup of the compaq concerto using the saveall utility provided with the compaq concerto. This resulted in 13 diskettes. To restore: you simply put disk1 in de floppy drive (which is a bootable disk) and then you start loadall.
I can zip the 13 disks for you and email it. Just give me your emai address.

It may be better to also upload it to a file sharing site to where others who have a Concerto in the world and need the files can have access to them.

hansk, thanks for all the effort so far! I have downloaded the *.zip file but there are only files and folders in it. These are not the images as needed. It is missing the header part so the disks can be used to boot.

You can use software like WinImage (www.winimage.com) to make a byte-by-byte copy of the original disks (remember to first write protect every single disks!), thus containing the missing headers.

If you can find the time to image them to a *.IMA file it would be great. If it is also possible to make a scan of the front of the disks of make a picture of it it would be even more great since as a Compaq collector I like to know the numbers Compaq gave the disks.

EDIT: I now got it partiality running in a virtual machine (MS Virtual PC) and it seems like that the first 13 disks are backups of a Concerto as it was back in 1994. As far a I can see it seems like a pretty clean system which is extremely useful! All the needed driver files are included. For now it is a good start to bring my Concerto back to life with Windows 3.1 and the correct drivers!

@hansk, thanks again for the effort and also for the correct files! But if you can make proper images of the disks it will be great.

Last edited:
It is missing the header part so the disks can be used to boot.
Just format and sys disk 1 and dump the disk 1 folder to the floppy. All the other disks save for the diagnostics diskette don't need to be sys'd in order to restore from the backup. You can probably restore the diagnostics flippy by sys'ing it from the restored backup to avoid INCORRECT DOS VERSION issues.

Thank you VERY much for uploading this.

Hi guys,

I guess you got the recipe to get a bootable disk1. That is the key for the solution. The other disk do not have to be bootable and the copies I provided should suffice. I just tried diskcopy from the original disk 1 to a fresh empty floppy. The compaq concerto now also boots nicely from the disk1 copy.

I haven't figured out yet how to get a floppy disk image to a file on my XP computer, so I can put that on dropbox. I will try to find a solution tonight and keep you posted.

And yes: The diskettes were the first thing I made after powering up the compaq concerto. The disks are the same as if you would have ordered a set from Compaq. See Compaq Learning Center, once you got the compaq concerto up and running.

Just created disk1.ima: you can find it using https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73774086/disk1.IMA

Hope this helps

best regards,

Hans

Last edited:
I just shut down my Concerto after playing with it. In conclusion, it works superb! And as I thought it works way better than Windows 95. The Compaq Concerto is definitely not a system for Windows 95 due to the lack of a color screen. For some reason a B/W screen and Windows 3.x seems to work fine for me.

Good to here that my efforts worked out fine. Bye the way the Compaq Concerto supports an external VGA color display. Currently my concerto is connected to an iiyama Prolite E2472HD lcd display. It also supports a ps2 mouse.

Request from Compaq Concerto Fan (using it as Teaching Aid)

Request from Compaq Concerto Fan (using it as Teaching Aid)

I had a closer look on my diskset. I have got a Compaq diagnostics disk (german language) and on May 21st 1994, I made a backup of the compaq concerto using the saveall utility provided with the compaq concerto. This resulted in 13 diskettes. To restore: you simply put disk1 in de floppy drive (which is a bootable disk) and then you start loadall.
I can zip the 13 disks for you and email it. Just give me your emai address.

Hansk, I have about seven Compaq Concertos which I am prepping for a junior school in India ! Could you email the zip files to me please at ravi-dot-shankar-at-parimi-dot-com ?

I could send it as it's still on my desktop but it's a 20mb archive.

Hello, Does someone still have the Concerto files archive available?

i am restoring a compac concerto machine and i need the original win 3.11 pen drivers.

can somebody help me herewith?

the dropbox links are dead unfortunately...

wobbe

Back