• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows for Pen for Compaq Concerto.

MBaNL

I own a Compaq Concerto which i bought without any disks and was hoping to find them online but I can only find them for some GRiD systems ("GRiD Model 2260" & "GRiD PadSL Model 2050").

The disks must contain one or more files with "cpqvpen.*" as the name.

Compaq provides an update but that only contain "cpqvpen.386" which solves some glitches...

I hope someone can point me in the right direction or can provide me images (*.IMA) of the original disks. Or maybe someone will sell the original disks. ;)

No one can help me with this? I would like to use my Compaq Concerto as it should...

Got Windows 95 working with the PEN (so the PEN is in working order) but I want to have Windows 3.1x because that's the OS for the Concerto in my opinion.

Hey, one of these threads.
I asked the exact same question earlier this year with limited success. Turns out that Pen Computing for Windows 3.1 is totally OEM and thus even if you install it on the Concerto you will require the penabled display driver as well which because it's OEM is not included. Pen computing will also disable pen support if you use a non-penabled display driver.
I have the exact same problem with a GRiD convertable and a Thinkpad 730TE as well. You can't do a thing with pen computing under windows 3.1 unless you have te specific penabled display driver.

NeXT, I know that... Before I bought the Compaq Concerto I was happy that I found the drivers so easily but when I tried the found drivers but it came out that the drivers I found were for NCR, GRiD, Samsung, Toshiba and Wacom tablet models... None of them are usable for Compaq since the lack of the correct drivers.

Still, there driver installations are a good start for turning them into installations for the Compaq Concerto but without the right drivers and settings we're nowhere...

I hope to have Windows for PEN Computing 1.0 running as soon as possible because since I got Windows 95 perfectly running on it I did nothing with the Concerto since I like Windows 3.x much more...

the Concerto is definately a 3.1 system anyways. I would assume that 95 is a touch slow.
Where did you find the GRiD drivers? I would be interested if that was shared. :)

I found them thanks to some one on another forum. If you PM me your e-mail adres (preferably a GMail address or something else which has a large inbox) I can send Windows for PEN Computing versions I have to you.

Are you also interested in PEN Services 2.0? I have them for Fujitsu and Compaq (the last one is a copy from the HP/Compaq FTP but turned into a *.IMA file)

Windows 95 is running pretty good, in fact it is perfectly usable! I don't know how it is with the 25MHz model but my 33MHz can run it very well. The only problem with it is that it's not Windows 3.1... For the time Windows 95 was a BIG step forward to Windows 3.x but I still like Windows 3.1 way more that Windows 95. Some other thing you could see as a problem is the fact that Windows 3.x is usable with a monochrome screen but in my opinion Windows 95 is not.

Still no luck in finding the drivers for the Concerto... If someone has the floppy's and could image them I like to hear! If someone has a Concerto in working condition I like to hear also, maybe you can provide me the files I need...

Still no luck? Man. They ahve to be out there somewhere.

I thought that also but when I ask someone he/she has not the ability to get the files off the Concerto or the Concerto runs another OS (W95 or Linux) and the owner just don't have the disks anymore...

These are claimed to be the right disks but may be crap. You could call the tech support number and interrogate somebody before you spend $29.99.
http://recovery-disks.com/compaq-concerto-notebook-pc-4-25.html

I want to pay for original disks and even that amount of money but the site itself and the fact there is no photo of what you buy it smells like (in my opinion) counterfeiting ans scam. Maybe I'm totally wrong but that's just the feeling I have with a site like this one...

Hllo. I am from Russia. I have a Compaq Concerto. It is in working condition. But I've bought it with windows 95 ... I also tried to install 3.1 but the pen did not work. I hope that we would get something. sorry for bad english ;)

Hllo. I am from Russia. I have a Compaq Concerto. It is in working condition. But I've bought it with windows 95 ... I also tried to install 3.1 but the pen did not work. I hope that we would get something.

Great to hear there are more Concerto's out there! :D

Hi guys,

I looked through my old Concerto disks and found that I had downloaded a couple of Compaq Softpaqs with the pen drivers. I did a Google search on the numbers and found the motherload! All of the Softpaqs can be downloaded here <ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/>. These are the two that I had downloaded back in the day:

[SP1189] Windows 3.1x Pen Driver for Concerto
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp1001-1500/sp1189.txt
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp1001-1500/sp1189.exe

[SP0838] Allows PenDOS Version 2.21 to operate on a Compaq Concerto
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp0501-1000/0501.txt
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp0501-1000/sp0838.zip

Good luck! Let me know if this was helpful.

Paul

@pdobranski, there are absolutly NO drivers on the Compaq or HP ftp for Windows 3.1... both of them I have a local mirror of and there is nothing on it...

The first file you mentioned is an updated CPQVPEN.386 file for sesolving glitches from the first release. The file could be usefull for 386 mode but you will also need the alignment configuration.
The second file you mentioned is for PenDOS. I have never seen it or could get my hand on it so cannot test if it works but since it is a full driver pack like the Windows 95 drivers it should work...

But thanks anyway... every help, brainwaves and other possibilities are more than helpful!

Last week I bought a second Concerto but there is still no luck with finding any of the original drivers. My "new" one was updated to Windows 95 after it got a new hard drive. Could do a un-delete session on it but I don't think I will find anything...

I still hope there is at least 1 Concerto in working order with the PEN drivers for Windows 3.x and that person could make a copy of the hard drive...

In "The Internet Archive" I found a site called penwin.com which had the drivers in the past but achive.org did not make an backup of these zip files...
Down here are the filenames that were hosted there... maybe someone have made a backup of it in the past...

Code:
 diags.zip               13-Jun-1997 12:33   1.2M  
 pcmcia.1.zip            13-Jun-1997 12:33   333k  
 pcmcia.2.zip            13-Jun-1997 12:33   555k  
 pcmcia.3.zip            13-Jun-1997 12:33   723k  
 pfwdisk1.zip            15-Apr-1998 13:38   1.1M  
 pfwdisk2.zip            15-Apr-1998 14:36   1.0M  
 rompaq.zip              13-Jun-1997 12:34   962k  
 win_drv.1.zip           13-Jun-1997 12:34   749k  
 win_drv.2.zip           13-Jun-1997 12:34   347k

If anyone knows who the owner was of penwin.com (the site is long gone now) I like to hear also... maybe I can contact him/her...

Would a copy of the file from another machine help?

Would a copy of the file from another machine help?

Hi

I just found a working Concerto running Windows 3.1 under an office desk (yes, we should clear up more often). Woudl it help if I copied the cpqvpen.386 file off that and got it to you? I'd need to find a floppy disk first, mind.....

Dave

Hi

I just found a working Concerto running Windows 3.1 under an office desk (yes, we should clear up more often). Woudl it help if I copied the cpqvpen.386 file off that and got it to you? I'd need to find a floppy disk first, mind.....

Dave

Hi Dave,

Great to hear there is a working one out there! :D

If you could copy the cpqvpen.* and *.ini files from the Windows folder (including the sub folders) it would be awesome.

Could you also tell me what the bootscreen shows when you start Windows? Is it "just" the Windows for PEN Computing 1.0 screen or is it branded by compaq? If it is... could you also copy the *logo*.* files?

If you can get the harddrive installed in a 2.5" hdd to USB converter or directly in a desktop it would be even more great. That way you could make an image of it for preservation of a working machine and for examining the right files in order to make a clean installation for the PEN drivers.

I hope to hear from you!

2 Months away from the last message in this topic and still no working Concerto with Windows 3.1... :-(

Doesn't hear anything from Dave anymore... but there have to be someone who can upload the drivers for it?

Back