• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Model M Keyboard Mod

bettablue

Veteran Member
Recently, as some of you know, I had just lost my favorite keyboard doe to a bad controller. :curse: So, I asked about getting a few parts to resurrect the keyboard so ?I can put it back into daily use. Well, that failed, so I ended up purchasing another model M keyboard. I definitely got a great deal on it, so I'm overall pleased. The "new" keyboard is due to arrive as early as Monday! :yinyang:

Now here's where the mod question comes in. Many of you know what a bolt mod is, and many of you dont. To assist, let me give you a short description. Bolt modding a Model M keyboard is simply replacing all of the small brittle plastic rivets holding the internal layers of the keyboard together with nuts and bolts. This is done primarily because over time, a lot of these plastic rivets break. The keyboard begins to sound somewhat "Pingy" and there is a bit more give in the back plane. Replacing all of the plastic rivets with nuts and bolts gives the keyboard a new stability, and sturdy feel. Even the sound of key activation is different. A Bolt Modded Model M can also sell for over $100.00! :cool3:

Question. While this was all brought up in another thread, another member mentioned using number 20 self tapping screws in lieu of the complete nut and bolt job. I have however come up with a better solution.. One in which comprises elements of both methods of making the keyboard solid again. In Tom's Mod, all but the outer 4 rivets are replaced with the self tapping screws. Of course, pilot holes must be drilled into the black plastic layer to avoid splitting this layer. The corners would still use the standard nut and bolt mod. This would speed the process of strengthening the keyboard, AND, it will allow for more accurate and quicker alignment of all of the internal layers prior to final assembly.

What are your thoughts on this. I am eventually probably going to need to do this mod on the model M I'm receiving Monday. :frankenstein: Chuck G What size drill did you use to make your pilot holes for the #20 screws, and how long were the screws you used in your Model M repairs?

Thanks everyone. (Especially :bow2: Chuck G for giving me the idea for this mod.)

Hey, Tom...

Have you seen the Bolt Mod Guide on Geekhack?

Lot of useful information in that thread, although I don't think they do self-tapping screws.

I have yet to do this to my Model M's, and am unsure if I'm going to. Frankly, they still function quite well without them, although if I get bored one day, it's certainly a good way to while an afternoon away!!

I had dealt with these same issues... and frustratingly had broken "butterflies" in one I bought from keyboard.com which was supposedly refurbished, so I decided to give up on buying used model Ms alltogether once I found unicomp.com

I bought a unicomp.com raven black customizer 104 USB version about four years ago, and I couldn't be happier! Same feel, added winkeys, black and gray color, and native USB! (for those not in the know they bought the patent for buckling spring tech and make brand new BS keyboards)

That and they are under $80 shipped if you live in the USA.

I did a mod to mine putting a 10 port usb2 hub inside it lately, here is a pic. (BIG pic warning!)
http://foxtecha.com/pics/projects/usbkeyboard/100_1007.JPG

Thanks Chuck. I'll certainly use this if I need to.

As for Mav, yeah, I've seen that article. I actually helped with some of the pictures for RIPSTER in GeekHack too. He's the one who told me of the original bolt mod. But like I mentioned, I'm interested in seeing just how well the single screw mod will work. It seems like a no-brainer. I mean this methos will save at least an hours worth of labor; maybe more.

Let me know what you decide. I ion the other hand, may do as Chuck suggested, and replace only the broken rivets with self tapping screws to keep the boards rigidity.

Thankks for the input though.

I honestly don't recall what size drill I used. I did my usual "select a drill that's smaller than the threads" thing.

But here's a guide; look under "type AB".

Update:

As it turns out, I was finally able to speak with one of their reps yesterday. The confirmed that the controller they sent me was the wrong one, but they don't have any of the "old style" controllers available. So rather than just return the controller, we ended up working out a deal whereby I keep my model M, and bolt modded layers. Here's where things will be different though. They will completely refurbish the keyboard. It will have all new membranes, new springs, and above all, an updated controller. The new membranes also have the 3 LEDs attached so their connections aren't a separate plug at the end of the controller. In affect, I'll have the best of both worlds. Plus this is only costing me an additional $10.00, plus shipping of the keyboard to them. They're going to do the refurb/upgrade, and pay for the return shipping!

So, finally after dealing with all of the frustration, I'm getting a resolution I can deal with.

Tom, sounds like a deal to me!

@jaqiefox, aren't the Unicomp Customer-104 series slightly smaller than the original Model M's? ISTR seeing that somewhere. I've a Unicomp-104 KB, but it's a scissor-switch mechanism, unfortunately, not a bad unit overall TBH, but not what I'm wanting to use as a daily driver.

Back