• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 3270 whats it worth.

Alright guys a little update. He finally emailed me back and this is what he said.

"hi, hey i left that computer on and it came on this is the screen i asked my son to ask his buddy to look at it he works on computers i can get back to you or is this enough to show it works i would take $100.00 for conputer moniter keyboard.

here is the pic he sent me.
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q576/mikedmissouri/vintage%20items/DSCN2007_zpsb7ff06dd.jpg

what do yall think?

A 5153 is fine for the system. In all honesty you'd probably prefer the few colors it can display vs a 5151 monochrome unit. For $100 if it has the keyboard I'd say sure go for it, but that would be me thinking of it in my own collection. I suppose though even if you sold it for $150 you'd make a 50% profit. You might want to confirm that they do have the 3270 card though.

If he has a 5153 monitor and XT type F keyboard (as opposed to PC3270 specific keyboard and monitor) you are actually in a better position. The XT keyboard and the 5153 will sell easily for over a $100. Can you make money, probably, won't be huge but yeah. People will pay to ship that monitor and keyboard. I would list the keyboard, monitor, and computer separately. The KB and monitor will get you your $100 back w/ profit and the computer will be icing on the cake.

If he has a 5153 monitor and XT type F keyboard (as opposed to PC3270 specific keyboard and monitor) you are actually in a better position. The XT keyboard and the 5153 will sell easily for over a $100. Can you make money, probably, won't be huge but yeah. People will pay to ship that monitor and keyboard. I would list the keyboard, monitor, and computer separately. The KB and monitor will get you your $100 back w/ profit and the computer will be icing on the cake.

Good to know. You thinking ebay? Would be nice if i could find a buyer before i buy it! :D

Maximum cash probably ePay. However, if you want it to go to a good home you can try the VTG Market Forum or the for sale area on the forums.

Well, there's plenty of eBay traffic in these things, but without that keyboard and card, it does lose quite a bit of cachet. The keyboard is a generic no-name; for all we know, the innards may not even be a genuine 5170--a lot of these were upgraded with after-market 386+ boards. A photo of the innards might help, but you should lower your expectations.

Back