• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5150 16k-64K Rev A on eBay Price seems high

Bill,

Are you saying none of the original 5150s came w/ TWO IBM branded 160KB drives?

No, but if the original system would have the covers in place if only one drive were sold originally, or two covers if no drives. The 100-1a drives did not all have IBM printed on them. I think some of the first / originals especially did *not* have the raised IBM printed on the front. I would like confirmation on that from someone else.

b

Okay,

I just went through my stack of keyboards and the majority are actually part #1801449. One is part#: 1503206. The rest have the little white sticker fallen off of them. The boxes for my three boxed ones list 1501100 as the part number (even though the sticker underneath says something different).

Yes. But Bill seemed to imply there were multiple model numbers for the Model F.

I've had a bunch of PC and AT keyboards apart for cleaning and repairs and they are both labeled model F on the inside. I tink all of the keyboards pre-M were model Fs. I have also seen a terminal keyboard that was a model F, and some kind of 122 key model F.

I've had a bunch of PC and AT keyboards apart for cleaning and repairs and they are both labeled model F on the inside. I tink all of the keyboards pre-M were model Fs. I have also seen a terminal keyboard that was a model F, and some kind of 122 key model F.

Correct. The 83-key PC/XT, 84-key AT, and 122-key terminal/3270 PC keyboards were all "Model F", as well as several less common variations:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/IBM_Model_F

You are correct they were all Model Fs. I guess the correct term would be Part Number: I can verify that I have multiple part numbers for the 83Key IBM 5150/5160 Model F keyboards. These are printed on a little white square on the bottom of the keyboard (as opposed to the large badge in the center of the Model Ms). However, the part number on the boxes remains consistent across all the Model F 83 key KBs that I own.

The only way that I know of to differentiate the first keyboards from later ones of the same model F models is either look at the chips inside of the keyboard for date stamp (never did this before), or look at the box the keyboard came in. The first keyboard boxes I think do not have "Made in Singapore" printed on them.

Another thing I forgot to mention...the original box's packing foam varies from later 5150's. The original foam was green I believe.

There would also be the original docs/paperwork. We're getting really picky here but you asked!

The only way that I know of to differentiate the first keyboards from later ones of the same model F models is either look at the chips inside of the keyboard for date stamp (never did this before), or look at the box the keyboard came in. The first keyboard boxes I think do not have "Made in Singapore" printed on them.

Another thing I forgot to mention...the original box's packing foam varies from later 5150's. The original foam was green I believe.

There would also be the original docs/paperwork. We're getting really picky here but you asked!

Hey picky is what we do here. I'll check my boxes and see what I got. I'll see if I can in anyway assosciate a box w/ the P/N printed on the keyboard (aside from opening them). I don't recall any of mine having the green foam though (which doesn't really mean anything since all of mine could be later models). Thanks for the info.

Photos:
http://vintagecomputer.net/ibm/5150/5150_A/
...A set of rev 1 "A" model 5150 photos, by serial number.
Pics of 5150 16-64K machines with mostly original parts.

Here is my list of what to look for in an original IBM 5150
1) no circle "B" on the back of the chassis
2) serial number sticker placement
3) number of screws in the chassis - model A's have two (?) less than the model with circle B / 64-256K mobo
4) power supply is black and runs silently
5) the controller cards or card jack covers are painted black
6) The original cards (asychronous communications adapter, parallel adapter (monochrome display), parallel printer adapter, external storage adapter, green disk drive card, IEEE 488 card, some others)
7) 16-64K motherboard
8) Tandon 100-1a disk drives, only one drive with original drive bay cover, no drives with two original drive bay covers. / cassette cable or Getting Started cassette.
9) ROMS match
10) DOS 1.1 or 2.00, CP/M 86, UCSD Pascal (MARCH museum has this version of Pascal on display)
11) Getting Started disk or cassette
12) original version keyboard. Some of the later PC's keyboards had different part number.

There is an original 5150 at the MARCH museum in Wall NJ @infoage, one of the earliest known, and some pictures in the link above are of this machines.

MOST PEOPLE UPGRADED THEIR ORIG 5150 configuration over time, it's rare to find an IBM PC with everything original/stock. Does that matter is up to you.

It came in today. IBM 5150 Serial # 0155185 (very early model?) Most of the RAM on the MB is in sockets except for the first bank.

5 cards in it , all have black painted slot covers.
One is a RAM card with Mante carlo on it (has serial ports from the looks of it).
One is a RAM card 64KB (RAM chips are piggy backed).
Mono video from the looks of it (called Black and White).
Early floppy controller? (has that large aluminum covered IBM chip in it)
Printer port card maybe?

Back