• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5150 16k-64K Rev A on eBay Price seems high

Anyone have any idea what the far left card is when looking at the back of the system? It has switches, and based on the amount of upgrades it looks to be some sort of CPU upgrade...?

No, those were meant for the original 5150. That is definitely what it is. I have a 5161 myself, and I just found the cable for it in one of my storage boxes!

Can you expand on that? I know there were multiple models of the extender/receiver cards. Do you know which one was meant for the 5150 and which for the XT? Thanks.

I think this BIOS of 5150 must be Revision 3 (10/27/1982) due to expansion card or HDD controller.
If motherboard is 16/64KB, maybe user should upgrade BIOS by using upgrade kit or other method, right?

Can you expand on that? I know there were multiple models of the extender/receiver cards. Do you know which one was meant for the 5150 and which for the XT? Thanks.

5150 : Total 5 slots with cassette port
5160 : Total 8 slots without cassette port

Motherboard for IBM PC XT 5160 is at least 64-256KB motherboard (Not 16-64KB)

RAM Expansion Card
HDD Controller (8bit MFM)
FDD Controller
CGA or MDA Video Card (?)
Serial / Parallel or SCSI (?)

Last edited:
5150 : Total 5 slots with cassette port
5160 : Total 8 slots without cassette port

Motherboard for IBM PC XT 5160 is at least 64-256KB motherboard (Not 16-64KB)

RAM Expansion Card
HDD Controller (8bit MFM)
FDD Controller
CGA or MDA Video Card (?)
Serial / Parallel or SCSI (?)

Either you misunderstood me or I misunderstood the original message I replied to. Namely:

No, those were meant for the original 5150. That is definitely what it is. I have a 5161 myself, and I just found the cable for it in one of my storage boxes!

For example certain of the cards are marked as extender while others are marked as transmitter. They have different model numbers. I thought he was implying that certain models of transmitter cards were meant for the 5150 while others were meant for the 5160.

I would expect the card to work in either, since it is just a bus extender. What I meant is that the 5161 was designed for the 5150, which did not have the asynchronous slot 8. The main purpose of the 5161 was to add hard drives to the original PC, which did not have the BIOS support or power supply to support one. The XT had no need for an expansion chassis since it was designed for hard drive support and more slots.

I thought that too, but I thought you could only use those in slot 8 in an XT. Am I incorrect?

You are incorrect. Slot 8 in the XT is only for devices that has cirquits for the /Cardselect signal and which doesn't use DMA. IBM suggested to put the receiver card in slot 8 of the 5161, and if the extender card is in slot 8 of the XT then you can only use slot 8 compatible cards in the 5161 expansion unit.

per original question....yes, it's probably over-priced.

An original 5150 16-64k with original black-toned cards (or slot place holders) and black power supply in working order with IBM 1.1 and original boxes is worth $400+, but the seller's system is worth maybe $75. If the system were tested and fully functional $150+

The prices for the 5150's are all over the place.

I would expect the card to work in either, since it is just a bus extender. What I meant is that the 5161 was designed for the 5150, which did not have the asynchronous slot 8. The main purpose of the 5161 was to add hard drives to the original PC, which did not have the BIOS support or power supply to support one. The XT had no need for an expansion chassis since it was designed for hard drive support and more slots.

This seems to back up what I witnessed last night when I held my first 5161 extender card -- it's too long to fit in Slot 8, the floppy drives are in the way. I had to put it in slot 5 (currently untested).

So what does the original 5150 come with (cards) and how can you tell if the PS was replaced or not? I finally found a decent looking 5150 and should have it here the middle of next week. The PS on the one I am getting is black collored and all the slots are filled with cards. There are 2 full hight floppies installed both with IBM lettering on them. Looked like a good deal, no idea if it even fires up.

So what does the original 5150 come with (cards) and how can you tell if the PS was replaced or not? I finally found a decent looking 5150 and should have it here the middle of next week. The PS on the one I am getting is black collored and all the slots are filled with cards. There are 2 full hight floppies installed both with IBM lettering on them. Looked like a good deal, no idea if it even fires up.

Photos:
http://vintagecomputer.net/ibm/5150/5150_A/
...A set of rev 1 "A" model 5150 photos, by serial number.
Pics of 5150 16-64K machines with mostly original parts.

Here is my list of what to look for in an original IBM 5150
1) no circle "B" on the back of the chassis
2) serial number sticker placement
3) number of screws in the chassis - model A's have two (?) less than the model with circle B / 64-256K mobo
4) power supply is black and runs silently
5) the controller cards or card jack covers are painted black
6) The original cards (asychronous communications adapter, parallel adapter (monochrome display), parallel printer adapter, external storage adapter, green disk drive card, IEEE 488 card, some others)
7) 16-64K motherboard
8) Tandon 100-1a disk drives, only one drive with original drive bay cover, no drives with two original drive bay covers. / cassette cable or Getting Started cassette.
9) ROMS match
10) DOS 1.1 or 2.00, CP/M 86, UCSD Pascal (MARCH museum has this version of Pascal on display)
11) Getting Started disk or cassette
12) original version keyboard. Some of the later PC's keyboards had different part number.

There is an original 5150 at the MARCH museum in Wall NJ @infoage, one of the earliest known, and some pictures in the link above are of this machines.

MOST PEOPLE UPGRADED THEIR ORIG 5150 configuration over time, it's rare to find an IBM PC with everything original/stock. Does that matter is up to you.

Last edited:
8) Tandon 100-1a disk drives, only one drive with original drive bay cover, no drives with two original drive bay covers. / cassette cable or Getting Started cassette.

Bill,

Are you saying none of the original 5150s came w/ TWO IBM branded 160KB drives? I am almost positive mine has two IBM branded ones. However, I also have a Tandon 100-1a which I know came from IBM (got in a lot of parts I bought from a former IBM employee in FL. Apparently once they started shutting down the devision he started bringing home souvenirs) with out branding. If there is only suppose to be one I should swap them out.

Also, I don't believe there ever was an IBM branded cassette cable. I could be wrong but I am guessing not as there was not an IBM branded cassette player.

12) original version keyboard. Some of the later PC's keyboards had different part number.

Do you by any chance have the part number for the original keyboard?

Back