• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A Mac 128 checks into the rest home for retired retros

tezza

Veteran Member
Whoo hoo! I finally acquired a model I've wanted for some time. This plugs a hole in my classic lineup.

And it works!

Tez

2013-02-27-mac128-640x480.jpg

Gongrats Tezza! It certainly is a piece of history.

I'm lucky too. I found of these here in Chile. And guess what, it's 220V !!! :D

Jose.

Is that the original keyboard with the bronze spacebar? The oldest keyboard I have is from a Classic, and the spacebar is the same color as the rest of the keys.

Rick

Pretty cool indeed. I'm just curious, ignoring the fact that retrobright treatments may need to be treated, would you retrobright this in your collection? I just wasn't sure if it would devalue it or not or if, as a collector, you even cared.

The great thing about these machines is their tiny size makes it quite easy to accidently leave a few setup :)
I still don't have a working Apple of any generation, I should fix this.

Excellent result Tez.

Pretty cool indeed. I'm just curious, ignoring the fact that retrobright treatments may need to be treated, would you retrobright this in your collection? I just wasn't sure if it would devalue it or not or if, as a collector, you even cared.
Thanks. No, I probably won't retr0bright this one. It's actually not as yellow as it appears. A combination of flash and the table wood grain I think. It's more of a cream colour, which I can live with. If I ever look at putting it on show I MIGHT consider retr0bright on the case. Generally white cases respond well to the treatment.

Yes, this is the original keyboard. Funny how many of these Apple machines (including the IIes I have) have yellowed (or should I say green) spacebars. That's the case with my SX-64 too. I find retr0brighting is quite risky on coloured keys. I've found it's too easy to overcook and streak the plastic so I won't be touching it.

Tez

I've now given the Mac 128 it its own page in my collection section
http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/collection/mac-128.htm
FYI:
it's = "it is"
its = possessive of it

So I fixed that for you because 128K is obviously not enough RAM to run a spelling/grammar checker. ;)

I remember reading in a review that on the Mac 128K, you can only type about 8½ pages of text in MacWrite before the RAM gets full!

Yes and then there is the extra "it". I'm not known for being lucid when I'm in a hurry :)

Speaking of lack of word processing space, I seem to remember that my cassette-based Scripsit allowed me four pages of text on my 16k System 80. And that was just ASCII text! Better than pen and paper at the time though.

Tez

Back