• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Which OS would you use for each Proc?

Netware servers are fun to mess around with. I used DR-DOS 6 for a little while back in the 90's but I stuck to MSDOS and QEMM mostly. DOS 6 and higher had better upper memory management if you had a 386+ but didn't do much for a 286 so people stuck with DOS 3.3 or 5.0.

Better late than never:

286 (12 MHZ) - PC/MS/DR DOS 5.0/6.x with Win 3.1 or PC Geos(Geoworks/New Deal Office)

386 - MS/PC DOS 5/6/7/2000 DRDos-Novell Dos 6/7/ plus Win 3.1/WfW 3.11 or PC Geos (Geoworks/New Deal Office/Breadbox Ensemble)

486 (33 MHZ) - As above plus OS/2 2.0/OS/2 Warp3 Connect and Linux. With Dos maybe DesqviewX just for fun. Use any Dos 6 up.

Pentium 1 (75 or 100 MHZ) - As above plus Win9x. Dump maybe OS/2 v2 and use Breadbox Ensemble for a PC Geos enviroment, as lower wont run or had issues iirc.

Pentium 1 (166 MHZ) -As above Windows 95C/NT 3.x/NT 4.x

Pentium 2 (233 MHZ) - All the above plus W2k or Win98SE or OS/2 Warp 4

Pentium 2 (350 or 400 MHZ) -As above

Pentium 3 (450 MHZ) - As above

Anything else Linux/W2k/XP eComStation may be an option worth considering also.

You can combine some earlier Dos variants, namely MS Dos 6, with tools from Win9x to see more memory on later machines if needed. There's always FreeDos to have play with as well. BeOS and QNX ran marvelously on my Celery 400. If you got the right combination of hardware you have great choice and can use a boot loader to load your flavor of the day.
It'll certainly cut down on the number of machines required.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why nothing later than DOS 5.0 for a 286? I'm sure 6.x doesn't add anything a 286 can really use, and it eats up a tiny bit more of the 640k. But other than that?
There's actually a table on vcf showing PC Dos 2000 frees up as much memory as much conventional memory as PC/MS Dos 3.3 did -more than MS/PC Dos 5.x or MS/PC Dos 6.x The primary reason I see using 5.0 or later is you are not limited to 32meg hdd partitions. Compaq MS Dos 3.31 was the first version of Dos to do this so I'd be inclined to select that over the standard MS or IBM offerings. I was using Compaq Dos 3.31 on my 286 with a 240meg hdd until I got a copy of DrDos 6.

Last edited:
Oh, and since we are making GUI recommendations:

8088/8086 "XT" - VisiCorp Visi On

:D
I can confirm GeoWorks Pro 1.2 worked fine on an XT with DRDos 5 and 640k of memory also. An EMS card would've been handy at the time though. Seeing almost laser quality docs being printed on a 9 pin dot-matric printer had to been seen to be believed.

Last edited:
Back