• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need recommendations on Glue/Adhesive

Maybe you could just take it to your local hackerspace and see if they can make you a new one on a 3d printer?

I had actually considered that myself. Any idea how much something like that would cost? If its cheap enough (say $10-$20) it would be worth it just for the experience.

I didn't think JB Weld would do it. If you get enough of the solvent cement on the plastic to really dissolve it and clamp well enough, it should hold as well as the original part.

A couple of years ago, I picked up a food processor for a good price and dropped the bowl on a hard tile floor and shattered the lid. The manufacturer (Kitchen Aid) said the thing was a (just) discontinued model and there were no spares available. End of story? Nope--I used some Tenax on the bowl and the thing is still going strong today.

But next time, I'll go for a Cuisinart. :)

I've since repaired handles on scissors and other plastic items that wouldn't stand a chance of working with any other glue. Works a treat.

I have no idea. It would really depend on how the local hackerspace is ran. They may do it for as little as the cost of materials + a small donation of some extra computer/electronics equipment. I'd imagine though if you opened up your pocket book a bit more one or two people might take the job on themselves which would be better turnaround time.

It's things like this that niggle at me to get a 3d printer myself but I know it'll be better if I just keep waiting for the prices to bottom out and the feature sets to become homogenous(I think that's the word I want to use there)

MikeS I am not sure how to reinforce this, there really isn't much room there.
I was thinking of a square or even round rod of similar plastic, e.g. a swizzle stick, knitting needle etc. or even a thin strip cut off from another similar part, to glue into the corners on either side of the joint; I've never had much luck gluing two thin pieces together end to end without some reinforcement on the sides.

I'm not even certain that 3d printing will work--the force on this part is considerable.

If this were my part and gluing didn't hold, I'd probably drill some very small holes for some oval-head 2mm screws right through the face for reinforcement. Of course, this would ruin the appearance, but as a last-chance dodge, it'd be okay.

I was thinking of a square or even round rod of similar plastic, e.g. a swizzle stick, knitting needle etc. or even a thin strip cut off from another similar part, to glue into the corners on either side of the joint; I've never had much luck gluing two thin pieces together end to end without some reinforcement on the sides.

Yeah, I know what you mean regarding thin pieces. There just isn't enough to grab. It is also an issue for the clamp as it can not get a good EVEN grip.

I'm not even certain that 3d printing will work--the force on this part is considerable.

If this were my part and gluing didn't hold, I'd probably drill some very small holes for some oval-head 2mm screws right through the face for reinforcement. Of course, this would ruin the appearance, but as a last-chance dodge, it'd be okay.

Wouldn't that depend on the material being used? I was under the impression some of the raw material was pretty strong. Ideally I'd want a place that has a 3D scanner that could swcan and print at the same time. Not quite sure if the local 3D print shop has a scanner though. If someone has to actually redisgn the piece using CAM or something similiar the cost would be astronomical for the benefit. At that point I would just use the broken piece as is and not have it latch into palce securely.

Yeah, I know what you mean regarding thin pieces. There just isn't enough to grab. It is also an issue for the clamp as it can not get a good EVEN grip.
Hmm, looks like there'd be room but maybe I haven't got the right perspective. Another thing I've done in similar situations is heat a few sewing needles and carefully drive them from the back of the piece down the centre of the broken part.

I guess I was thinking more of the epoxy putty version of JB Weld. I usually use the "plumber's" epoxy putty you can get at Home Depot. Repaired everything from flourescent lights to car bumpers. The putty is easy to use because you can mold it like clay and you can add extra material to strengthen weak points. If the plastic is smooth you may need to rough it up with some sandpaper first.

Well,

The Plast_I-Weld refuses to hold. I made sure to apply enough to make it "tacky" and it still would not hold. I tried putting in a screw for extra support but there just isn't enough material to hold so at this point I may just have to call it a loss.

Back