• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ack! This sucks

It's tough all over. All of my local user groups are history. I end up conversing via IRC. I love my computers and like to talk about them but I know when to stop before becoming a bore. Post anytime and someone (like me) may have information you can use.

Welcome.

Always good to see another Canuck on the forum, especially one also dealing with the problems of being a vintage computer collector in a rural area. And a Scanihoovian to boot. My maternal grandparents were from Denmark. Emigrated to Minnesota and then homesteaded in Saskatchewan. I regret not learning the language. My aunts and mother would speak in Danish when they didn't want the kids to understand what they were talking about. :^(

I retired here in 2001 to a small village of 700 in my natal central Manitoba, about equidistant from Winnipeg, Regina, and Saskatoon after most of my life living in large cities. Needless to say, the pickings for vintage computers here are virtually non-existent. Fortunately I hauled most of my large collection out here from Toronto and have made fruiful forays to Winnipeg and Vancouver. Don't know if I would have remained relatively sane if not for the I-net. I can keep in contact with my kids and grandchildren and old friends, scattered all over the country and even listen to my favorite 24hr Jazz station, Jazz FM91 in Toronto.

Welcome Aboard

Lawrence

Last edited:
I am from kamloops, I used to live in penticton, but moved away cause there was no work there.
14 years later i have started to get back into everything apple II and with my wifes "permission" i have been collecting quite a bit. been donated most of my collection thus far, (5 IIe's, 2- 2pluses, a couple clones etc etc) but I am looking to find the "crowning jewel" of my collection.
I have started restoring the computers in my collection (retrobrite etc) and selling a few off to support my habit. I hate commodore but amazingly have a HUGE commodore collection so that has been what I have been selling off to support my Apple addiciton.
I also collect 5 1/4 floppy disks and have well over 10,000 in my garage (all properly stored, garage is temperature controlled).
The last year I have been scouring the okanagan and thompson area for people looking to part with there hardware to add to my collection, the best 3 I got was 2 pluses and a //e platinum that was burried in a farmers barn (under actual dirt) outside of enderby, took my a few days of constant scrubbing and delicate cleaning to get it like new again. the poor machines were full of spiders and worms..
if anybody here has any free hardware lemme know... going to penticton sunday to get the "jewel"

Back