• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mystery disk cleaner

Qbus

Veteran Member
Anybody have any idea what type disk pack this cleans? A RK or RL? And what they used for fluid?
EBay item number:

I am not an expert, but it probably is not an RK because I believe that RK disk packs have 2 platters. This looks like it only has facilities for one platter.

If you zoom in on the photo of the serial number plate it looks like the OPTION tag is RL01K-AA

Yes, that is for RL packs. RK packs would need some extra hardware to lift up the door to access the disk. Interesting looking device, but I don't know if I would trust any of my packs to it. It looks like the foam on the "head" arms is shot.

Lou

Do all RK disk packs have the door on them? My disk packs are RK07 packs, and they do not have the door, but a window directly to the platters.

Having a disk cleaner would be very handy. My disk packs were stored in a very dusty place before I obtained them, and I am afraid to use them and ruin the disk and possibly the read/write heads.

Ah okay. The only RK disk packs that I have seen are the RK07. I have some RL02 disk packs, but no drives for them.

Okay. I don't want to take over this thread, but when I finally get my PDP-11/44 operational I will probably start a new one. It would be very cool to use the actual disks instead of using the ethernet boot.

Back