• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000SL RAM Question

Smack2k

Veteran Member
Is the RAM upgrade board that I see on ebay here and there for Tandy machines compatible with a 1000SL? Wanting to fully upgrade my SL to 640K (can you do more?)

This is what I was kind of talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tandy-256K-...tage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item3a70533b8b

OR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tandy-870-9...1548807?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item232a2e8b87

Those types?

Not very versed on the Tandy upgrades....I thought I could only get individual chips and upgrade it that way on the MOBO

Thanks guys....great to be back online after 6 days of Virus and Vertigo TOGETHER...great times were had!

The first card might stand a chance of working...but I kinda doubt it (It would be for something earlier like the original 1000, possibly the SX or TX). The second one with the odd connector is for some other model of Tandy...I'm guessing 3/4/5k model...something later that would have possibly had several Mb of RAM.

The correct thing to upgrade from the stock 384k to 640k is a set of 8 64kx4 chips...I would have to dig it up to be sure, but probably 120 or 150ns.

Wesley

Any idea of which type of 64kx4 chips?

I ask as my 1000SL is put away right now with other machines (I just got it, but had to put it away until my computer area is fully setup and moved in so I can't crack it open and look...

Last edited:
Just to note, DOS will report 576K or so when you get 640K installed, because of the video implementation perculiarities on these machines.

Just to note, DOS will report 576K or so when you get 640K installed, because of the video implementation perculiarities on these machines.

Actually I believe DOS may report 612K free. That is what it reports on my SX, and the SL's video is the same except for the rarely used 640x200x16 mode and the Hercules compatibility.

Stupid question...but what is the pin number on these?

I am terrible with getting the right 64kx4 chip and want to make sure I get the right ones (in terms of pins)

Thanks for continually curing my stupidity!

Back