• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My new game room and collection

Nice set up. You gonna start selling off some of those reserved posts? j/k Looks better and more entertaining than most stores I've seen.

Nice set up. You gonna start selling off some of those reserved posts? j/k Looks better and more entertaining than most stores I've seen.

Hehe thanks. Most of the reserved spaces were for my old setup where i actually broken down each system and games. This time i just did a summary of my collection.

I like the framing of the Ultima maps. When did you start collecting?

I started collecting around the early 90's. I have a few things that are from my teenage years but most i picked up from 92' to current. I really like how they turned out. I went to one Michaels to have the Ultima 2 done and they matted the map on the outside and the other two were done at another Michaels and they were matted on the inside. Haven't decided which i like best.

Very nice :) Love the Sierra big box Ultima II - but you're missing grey box Sierra Ultima II, black box Ultima I, and Mt. Drash!! (he says oh so innocently... )

No worries - I'm in that exact same boat! Glad to see you've got the TG16 and a few of Krikzz's Everdrive cards - they're awesome! Again, very nice setup.... I'm hoping to get around to getting my room "completed" this year. As I pare down my console and computer collection this year (I've probably 500 or so console cartridge games that'll be going, only keeping the collectible ones and CD-based games, while going to use my flash carts for the rest).

Curious - you're using a PI for emulation. I've heard of that (and it's definitely got a cool factor to it), but why not use an X-Box? I've recently gotten into doing that, and I've been taken aback by how painless the setup is, and how well it emulates both consoles and arcades. If you haven't already, check out Visionary - some fantastic stuff going on with that front end. I've an 80gb drive in my X-Box, and have pretty much all of the cartridge-based consoles setup in there, as well as quite a few arcades, with some room left over (though I'm thinking about going to a 250gb drive so that I can load up some favorite TG16 and Playstation ISOs on there as well)

Very impressive game room! I'm at the end of my student life, and me and my girlfriend live in a two-room apartment so I don't have a room that I can claim for myself in this manner. Next year (when I've worked for a while) I hope we can afford a bigger apartment so I can claim the extra room as my man cave ;-)

Curious - you're using a PI for emulation. I've heard of that (and it's definitely got a cool factor to it), but why not use an X-Box? I've recently gotten into doing that, and I've been taken aback by how painless the setup is, and how well it emulates both consoles and arcades. If you haven't already, check out Visionary - some fantastic stuff going on with that front end. I've an 80gb drive in my X-Box, and have pretty much all of the cartridge-based consoles setup in there, as well as quite a few arcades, with some room left over (though I'm thinking about going to a 250gb drive so that I can load up some favorite TG16 and Playstation ISOs on there as well)

I bought the Raspberry Pi mostly to play with but when i saw Chameleon Pi i decided to install it and mess around with it as well. More than likely I'll never use it for my main emulation machine. I have a Windows XP machine under the desk for that. It has an HDMI port which makes it very easy to plug into the LED TV i have in my game room. About the Xbox, I am very tempted to send mine away to get it modded and I also believe there is either a battery or capacitor that needs to be changed out in Xboxes as well i'll have repaired.

xbox360 or original? I just have the original but the softmod is extremely simple to do yourself and gets all the same results.

I own both but i wouldn't mod my 360. I was talking about the original Xbox as it has all the cool emulation and interfaces for it.
With regards to softmod (and without going into details, because there's plenty of other places for that), softmodding or TSOP-modding the original X-Box is quite easy if you've even moderate solder skills. TSOP modding requires the soldering, and is quite nice (essentially it's enabling the ability for one to write to the flash BIOS), but it's not necessary. Soft-modding can be done easily, doesn't require any soldering, and once soft-modded, you can still change out hard drives (you just have to be careful and ensure that you not only backup your existing HD, but that you keep access to your EEPROM.BIN and save your original drive, just in case!)

I swore that the X-Box would never equal the PC for emulation... and in some respects, it doens't... but I tell you what, it's really managed to surprise me! And with Visionary, the frontend is fantastic! I actually just soldered up the cord to enable me to use my old MAS Systems Arcade Stick with the X-Box (I'd modified it with an MC-Cthulu from Toodles last year). It worked fantastic, and with the added advantage of being able to play console games w/ the stick as well - I was surprised, but Streets of Rage just felt like a completely new game when playing with a stick rather than a pad!

Not that I can't do this on a PC, mind you, but the ease of the X-Box, coupled with the ease of setting up Visionary is just beyond compare. No need to remap buttons, no need to mess with joystick configs, no need to mess with poor frontends, or complicated frontends like Mala or Hyperspin.... That part, I really liked. As much of a techie as I am, it was nice to just copy over some files, plug in a pad/stick, and PLAY the games rather than mucking with emulator settings and minutia.

If you can't tell, I'm really sold on it :)

I am with CNCFreak on using the PC...

For me, I have one of my P4's with about 1.5 TB of space on ti setup with all emulators I need. It runs great and I also have it attached to my CRT TV in my man cave (game room) via an ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 8500 card. Its not HD, but the newest emulator I use is for the PS1 and N64, so playing them on the TV I originally played them on is what I wanted...

Another HUGE reason I use teh PC for emulation is for the contorllers. With so many of the console controllers able to connect to the PC via either adapter or with a USB version of the controller, I can play any game I want using the same controller as original. I have NES / SNES / N64 / Dreamcast / Genesis - Saturn - 32X - CD controllers for it and it works great for me. Plus all the disk space give me chances to grab pretty much any game I want.

I have never looked into the XBOX mods, but they seem interesting, so I will take a look out of curiousity.

As for the game room, Fantastic job...makes me jealous. I have a man cave, its half of our big family room, with the other half having treadmills / eliptical machines (or as I call them, my wife's coat hangers) as well as area for our 2 year old to play. I have been thinking about changing the room around, but just done have enough space for everything I want as I have a huge pro wrestling collection in there (VHS / DVD) as well as a good bunch of consoles and vintage "all in one" computers (VIC20 / C64 / A500 Atari 400 / Atari 800 / Atari 800XL / TI 99/4A), as well as a good group of desktop / tower machines So I am trying to figure out what to do to make it look as nice as possible.

I was thinking of posting pictures of my current room and see what others would recommend...would you be willing to be honest and let me know what I can do?

At this point, I will be using a part of the garage (heated / insulated / wired) as my computer area..

Thanks!

Back