• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WinImage - Standard or Professional?

Smack2k

Veteran Member
Looking to buy this software to be able to put my disk images (DOS / Windows 3.1 / Games) onto floppies as well as make disk images out of current floppies.

Would you recommend Standard or Professional version for this?

Not sure if the Professional Version would add some other features I am not thinking about..

Most floppies don't really need to be imaged. Unless you need to recreate the boot sector of a disk in order for it to work properly a simple ZIP file is all you need to save/restore a floppy.

I mean to take floppy images and put them on floppy disks...or take a floppy disks and turn them into images...

Most floppies don't really need to be imaged. Unless you need to recreate the boot sector of a disk in order for it to work properly a simple ZIP file is all you need to save/restore a floppy.

Its not so simple as that. Original program installation disks should be imaged, its much easier and is guaranteed to preserve important information about the files such as file modification date and the disk label and interesting information like what version of DOS or what program was used to make the disk.

I believe, but am not positive, that WinImage overwrites the master boot record of the original disk with its own. So it is not ideal if you want 100% pristine images, the overwriting is essentially harmless. Best use a program like dsk2img.

I've found that DISKCOPY and PKZIP do a fine job on almost everything and with them all the files are immediately available all the time unlike an IMAGE which requires a full restore to get at any individual file. I just don't believe in overkill and only image disks that need it.

Stone,

That is really what I was looking for...just to be able to take my images of DOS and Windows disks and get them on the 3 1/2" floppies...

A copy works wonders. You realize that using DISKCOPY makes an image of the original disk on the disk you're copying to. DISKCOPY doesn't copy files... it copies track by track. If you had made copies originally you wouldn't be struggling with those images, now. :)

I didnt make the images, I downloaded them all...they are just floppy disk images I want to take and put onto 3 1/2" disks so i can use them to install DOS on some old machines as well as maybe put some games on them...

Just want to take downloaded images (.ima and other formats) and get them back onto floppy...

You shoulda let me know when I sent you those disks. I would have put whatever you wanted (as long as I have it) on a few of them. BTW, what DOS versions are you looking to put on 3½" disks? I can probably email some or all of them to you.

Have you tried rawrite? IMA is just a straight dump of the disk, IMZ is the same thing just zipped. rawrite will handle these images fine, just unzip .IMZ images first.

You shoulda let me know when I sent you those disks. I would have put whatever you wanted (as long as I have it) on a few of them. BTW, what DOS versions are you looking to put on 3½" disks? I can probably email some or all of them to you.

Thanks, but I actually have all the images I need (the .IMA / .IMZ), just needed a way to get them on disk in terms of DOS / Windows...

Now, for Amiga's OS (Workbench / Boot disk / etc.) and Atari TOS, what is the process to get those images onto floppy disks for those installs? The Atari's I can use regular PC floppies for / Amiga I need to format in Amiga format (which I got those disks from you to do). I think I found the files for these two OS's online, but am not 100% sure they are right...

Have you tried rawrite? IMA is just a straight dump of the disk, IMZ is the same thing just zipped. rawrite will handle these images fine, just unzip .IMZ images first.

THANKS..I will grab that rawrite tonight and give it a shot......appreciate the help!

For Amiga Disks, you can use any number of free ADF creation utilities on the Amiga itself to copy your disks to ADF image files. I personally use tsgui. I use WinImage Professional for my PC floppy backups. I know one great feature of the WinImage Professional software is the ability to create Virtual Hard Disk images of hard drives. You can use this feature to make image files of Amiga hard drives. :)

I picked up a KryoFlux recently for doing more floppy preservation as well.

Heather

Its not so simple as that. Original program installation disks should be imaged, its much easier and is guaranteed to preserve important information about the files such as file modification date and the disk label and interesting information like what version of DOS or what program was used to make the disk.

I believe, but am not positive, that WinImage overwrites the master boot record of the original disk with its own. So it is not ideal if you want 100% pristine images, the overwriting is essentially harmless. Best use a program like dsk2img.

Wasn't it Win95 that was the villian for that? I used to image disks with winimage in Win3.xx and there was a big stink after Win95 came out because Win95 wrote to any disk that wasn't write protected. So write protecting original floppy disks became essential, didn't matter which program was running. I just stuck to DOS/Win3 for imaging in a DOS environment.

Back