• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Free: IBM 3270 AT case with power supply

vwestlife

Veteran Member
Free to a good home -- you just pay for the shipping: an IBM AT (or exact clone?) case in good condition, with the usual scratches but nothing severe. There are no IBM markings on the back, but on the front the silver badge says "IBM Personal Computer 3270 AT".

It was totally empty when I got it, so I put in an aftermarket power supply (250 watts, I believe) and used it to house a 5x86 system. That's gone now as well, so it's just an empty case with power supply. The front LED/keylock panel is intact.

I don't have any need for it now, so I hope someone has a better use for it, than me tossing it onto the scrap metal pile!

PM if you're interested.

It's just an IBM 5170 case with the label saying 3270 AT. It was really a 5160/70 with a 3270 emulator card installed and a super heavy keyboard with mainframe keys on it. Pretty cool in it's own right but made from IBM iron. The keyboard weighs (feels something like) 20lbs lol.

I can vouch for keyboard weight, I have a couple. If you ever have to pay shipping on one try and find a Model M version (later ones) as the original Model F ones are metal and weigh about twice as much.

I can vouch for keyboard weight, I have a couple. If you ever have to pay shipping on one try and find a Model M version (later ones) as the original Model F ones are metal and weigh about twice as much.

I :inlove: my Model M. Literally the best keyboard I've ever owned.

The case alone tips the scale at just over 25 lbs. I found a box just big enough to hold the AT case, and it weighs 4.5 lbs., so with another 1 lb. for the packing material, that's a shipping weight of 31 lbs.

100_0652.jpg

The earlier/heavier Model Ms are about twice as good/reliable as the later/lighter Lexmark crap!

That model has the big red on/off switch on the side correct? Just wanted to know if it was some kind of late model 486 PS hacked into that case.

That model has the big red on/off switch on the side correct? Just wanted to know if it was some kind of late model 486 PS hacked into that case.

It is the correct power supply for an IBM AT case. It's just like this, except without the overhang part:

m_13513_25.jpg

Isn't the one in your pic, with the overhang, is the correct one for the IBM AT case?

Yes, but there were also aftermarket 5170 power supplies without the overhang.

The AT case has been claimed, but for all those who are curious, I'll pull off the cover and get a shot of the power supply before boxing it up.

Edit: Attached are photos of the power supply.

100_0707.jpg

100_0703.jpg

Last edited:
Back