• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Solid state hard drives

I had figured SATA would be suspect. DOM's it is. Thanks Mike
Andy

While CFs are rated for a certain number of writes, you're unlikely to reach that limit running DOS or Windows 3.1. But I use Microdrives for most substitute-for-hard drive work. I find them extremely durable. The current 5GB microdrive in my server has been running 24x7 for about 6 years now.

That said, my 8088 and 8086 boxes both have CFs in them. No problems at all.

While CFs are rated for a certain number of writes, you're unlikely to reach that limit running DOS or Windows 3.1. But I use Microdrives for most substitute-for-hard drive work. I find them extremely durable. The current 5GB microdrive in my server has been running 24x7 for about 6 years now.

That said, my 8088 and 8086 boxes both have CFs in them. No problems at all.

Where are you sourcing microdrives from? A lot of the ones I find have their OEM embedded flag set and nobody wants to tell the secret to unset the flag so I can use them in my digital camera.

Where are you sourcing microdrives from? A lot of the ones I find have their OEM embedded flag set and nobody wants to tell the secret to unset the flag so I can use them in my digital camera.

When that flag is set it just means the MicroDrive will only operate in IDE mode, which is no problem for use with an IDE-to-Compact Flash adapter. The flag is used to prevent OEM MicroDrives from being used in digital cameras, because people were harvesting MicroDrives from broken iPods and using them in their digital cameras. When Apple and the drive manufacturers got word of that, they made the newer OEM drives "IDE locked" to put a stop to that, while the MicroDrives that were sold at retail were not IDE locked and thus could be used in cameras.

To be perfectly frank, I've never tested one of the Microdrives in my camera--compared to a CF card, they've got to suck your batteries dry pretty quickly. (They're all ST1 5GB models). I bought a bunch as NOS for fairly cheap. What surprised me is that they have SMART built in--something I didn't expect from such a small package.

Back