• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5.25" to a model 25

Just another good example of why I don't like or have any PS/2 machines. :)

I have always stayed with IBMs, clones and compatibles for this and lots of other reasons. And PS/2s are rarely compatible with anything. :)

Model 25 is just an all-in-one XT and has the same problems of being a small case with few expansion slots that hit portables, laptops, Tandy 1000s and the like. Nothing about it is a PS/2 specific compatability issue.

Model 25 is just an all-in-one XT and has the same problems of being a small case with few expansion slots that hit portables, laptops, Tandy 1000s and the like. Nothing about it is a PS/2 specific compatability issue.
Not having five or more slots *is* exactly part of the compatibility issue. :) BTW, i said compatibility, not compatability -- I don't even know what compatability means, if anything. :)

Yep, I could.

There is also the issue where some 5.25" games have copy protection on them..

Well, if you have the capability (e.g. Option Board) to copy protected floppies, you can still copy them onto 3.5" with no issues. A 360K can be copied onto a 720K 3.5" floppy and a 1.2M can be copied onto a 1.44M one--the latter will involve adding some filler to the end of the track, but that shouldn't matter to any software. My copy of 286 Xenix was originally on 5.25" HD media and I transferred it over to 3.5" with no problem at all.

Just another good example of why I don't like or have any PS/2 machines. :)

I have always stayed with IBMs, clones and compatibles for this and lots of other reasons. And PS/2s are rarely compatible with anything. :)
Dosn't make sense IBM made PS/2s. What exactly are you trying to say?

Simple, PS/2 is not 'IBM compatible' -- no matter who made it! :) 'IBM compatible' uses ISA architecture -- PS/2 does not.
You keep saying that but it's not accurate. Rant on regardless though. I'm sure it gives everyone a chuckle.

And please can we get back on topic?

Well, if you have the capability (e.g. Option Board) to copy protected floppies, you can still copy them onto 3.5" with no issues. A 360K can be copied onto a 720K 3.5" floppy and a 1.2M can be copied onto a 1.44M one--the latter will involve adding some filler to the end of the track, but that shouldn't matter to any software. My copy of 286 Xenix was originally on 5.25" HD media and I transferred it over to 3.5" with no problem at all.

Sweet, I may be able to do this then.. That will be more feasible.

And the model 25 IS an ISA architecture. It's basically a mini XT. Even complete with cassette BASIC too.

I was once working on a mid-'90s IBM Aptiva and was surprised to see it drop into Cassette BASIC after I formatted the hard drive and didn't put in a boot disk. All PS/2s and PS/1s have it as well, and in the original release of IBM DOS 5.0, QBASIC will crash if you run it on a computer that doesn't have ROM BASIC. (In IBM DOS 5.0.1, they modified QBASIC to remove the ROM BASIC check, so it can run on non-IBM systems.)

I was once working on a mid-'90s IBM Aptiva and was surprised to see it drop into Cassette BASIC after I formatted the hard drive and didn't put in a boot disk. All PS/2s and PS/1s have it as well, and in the original release of IBM DOS 5.0, QBASIC will crash if you run it on a computer that doesn't have ROM BASIC. (In IBM DOS 5.0.1, they modified QBASIC to remove the ROM BASIC check, so it can run on non-IBM systems.)

Nice, I didn't know that. I knew about QBASIC, but not about the PS/2's and PS/1's having it, kinda surprised.

I want to adapt a 5.25 drive to my model 25, but I can't use one of those regular IBM ones as it uses an ISA slot to run.

I was wondering, since the BIOS in my model 25 works fine with 1.44MB drives too, maybe I can somehow adapt a 1.2MB 5.25" as the B: drive, and adapt it to the internal ribbon, run it external to an enclosure? I hope this can be done somehow.

Otherwise I may have to sacrifice my sound blaster.

I'm not sure if you mean the external 4869 external drives when you say "those regular IBM ones". There was aftermarket (Procomm and Sysgen were the more commonly-known brands, although there were others) solutions that didn't need a card in the expansion bus, but they did use a bracket cover for the internal ribbon cable to connect to an exterior DB-37 cable. A few years back I believe I had a 1.2Mb drive operational from the 8086-level Model 25 and Model 30.

Sweet, I may be able to do this then.. That will be more feasible.

As a data point, I used to do this for friends back in the day. Protected 5.25" 360K disk to protected 720K 3.5" disk with an option board and I don't recall there ever being a problem. The 3.5" disk shows only 360K of data, obviously.

Back