• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Serial vs. PS/2 Mice

Great Hierophant

Veteran Member
Is either type of mouse inherently superior? Or rather is it the specific mouse and the features it offers make it superior?

Serial and PS/2 mice can support at least three buttons. Although more common on PS/2 mice, I have seen combo mice that support scroll wheels. In terms of feature support, I really believe it is more an issue of drivers and application support than hardware interface.

The PS/2 port does offer a practical advantage in that it is specifically designed only to use a mouse, whereas a serial port can use many different kinds of peripherals. Use of a PS/2 mouse allows you to free up a serial port, and if you don't need the serial port, then its precious low IRQ. The I/O ports can also be repurposed. Unfortunately, PS/2 ports cannot really be added by an expansion card, except those that essentially replace the system.

Theoretically, there's no reason that a PS/2 port couldn't be added as an expansion card--you'd need a new driver for it.

PS/2 mice do have an inherent problem though--if you plug them after the computer has started, you're very likely to hang things. You can plug in a serial mouse anytime. (c.f. the Windows 9x message saying that you don't have a mouse attached, but that you can plug in a serial mouse at the message). I find it surprising that in all the years of the PS/2 mouse, nobody found a decent firmware fix for that.

To me, the biggest issue between the two is software compatiblity. Some programs/environments that implement their own mouse driver rather than use a DOS mouse driver may only support one or the other. Some serial mice can also speak a Mouse Systems compatible protocol for some rare programs that require it.

What about the old BUS mice you needed a card for?
They're even better, because all the logic is on the card, the driver installs even if you forget to plug them in on startup :p
I have one MS InPort mouse, and about 6 of the cards (people seem to keep the card but toss the mouse?)

They're even better, because all the logic is on the card, the driver installs even if you forget to plug them in on startup :p
I have one MS InPort mouse, and about 6 of the cards (people seem to keep the card but toss the mouse?)

I have only one BUS mouse here, I think it plugs into an ISA ATI card. You can buy BUS mice for little money still on ebay, same with the cards.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-PC-BUS-MOUSE-3-BUTTON-MICE-IBM-ATI-APPLE-MAC-SUN-NEW-1219-/301069679758

I wonder what early CAD software expected for a mouse (3 button BUS mouse maybe)?

I'm surprised Trixter hasn't chimed in to extoll the virtues of the AT&T PC6300 mouse that plugs into the keyboard and emulates arrow keys if you don't have a driver loaded!

Theoretically, there's no reason that a PS/2 port couldn't be added as an expansion card--you'd need a new driver for it.

PS/2 mice do have an inherent problem though--if you plug them after the computer has started, you're very likely to hang things. You can plug in a serial mouse anytime. (c.f. the Windows 9x message saying that you don't have a mouse attached, but that you can plug in a serial mouse at the message). I find it surprising that in all the years of the PS/2 mouse, nobody found a decent firmware fix for that.

I remember that, but I was always of the belief that none of the usual classic pre-USB ports, including the serial, parallel, game or PS/2 ports should be unplugged while the system is on.

To me, the biggest issue between the two is software compatiblity. Some programs/environments that implement their own mouse driver rather than use a DOS mouse driver may only support one or the other. Some serial mice can also speak a Mouse Systems compatible protocol for some rare programs that require it.

I have a three-button mouse that has a switch for Microsoft Mode and Mouse Systems Mode. The latter supports the third button, and Sierra's games support it.

I remember that, but I was always of the belief that none of the usual classic pre-USB ports, including the serial, parallel, game or PS/2 ports should be unplugged while the system is on.

It's perfectly safe to plug or unplug RS232C--the drivers and receivers are usually rated for pretty substantial surges. Can you imagine having to power down a VAX servicing 50 RS232 terminals to swap two of them? No, the robustness of the connection is one of its endearing qualities. You can't beat 1960s technology. :)

About the only thing that I've seen take an RS232C hookup down is some clown rubbing his shoes on the carpet and zapping a signal pin. Even then, it's mostly a matter of replacing a level translator IC.

Unknown_K

You can buy BUS mice for little money still on ebay, same with the cards.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-PC-BUS-MOUSE-3-BUTTON-MICE-IBM-ATI-APPLE-MAC-SUN-NEW-1219-/301069679758

The seller wants $19.99 without the card. A quick check shows cards going for @ $50 (gotta be cheaper somewhere). BTW, that same mouse is going for $1.11 plus $7 or so shipping from Canada. FWIW, the first mouse that I ever bought was a Logitech 3-button (with the thumb roller) bus mouse w/card. Still have it with the original software.

Unknown_K

You can buy BUS mice for little money still on ebay, same with the cards.

The seller wants $19.99 without the card. A quick check shows cards going for @ $50 (gotta be cheaper somewhere). BTW, that same mouse is going for $1.11 plus $7 or so shipping from Canada. FWIW, the first mouse that I ever bought was a Logitech 3-button (with the thumb roller) bus mouse w/card. Still have it with the original software.

Quick look found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOGITECH-BUS-MOUSE-CARD-DZL6QBP7-3F-GOOD-CONDITION-TESTED-/221341524967

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ISA...8BIT-ISA-MOUSE-PORT-InPort-CARD-/320978672165

About the only thing that I've seen take an RS232C hookup down is some clown rubbing his shoes on the carpet and zapping a signal pin. Even then, it's mostly a matter of replacing a level translator IC.

Static electricity killed many Dell motherboard serial ports, especially through PalmPilot docks. During my two-year job at a real estate firm in the mid-2000s, my boss zapped three Dell serial ports with his PalmPilot dock -- both of the serial ports on his main computer, and then one of the two ports on another computer! One time he said he even saw a spark when it happened.

I've also heard of static electricity killing the joystick ports on the Commodore 64, due to people's fingers brushing against the exposed pins when reaching for the adjacent power switch.

I'd perfer BUS mouse over either any day so long as you either have an enabled VGA wonder or a slot for a controller card. Supposedly they also had a much higher scroll resolution.

Some of those prices drive me nuts. I spotted a 286 clone for $US900 the other day.
All of my InPort cards were either donated, or I found them in a rubbish recycling place for $2.

Actually the $2 one came with it's mouse, in original packaging, still sealed. Glossy MS, not the green eye though.

Back