• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help needed estimating weight and size of IMSAI 8080 for shipping.

Nama

Veteran Member
Hi all,
I've finally tracked down an IMSAI 8080. It's been a computer on my wish list for many many years now.
The problem is I have to ship it from California to Tokyo where I live, so first I need to figure out the size and weight if the box.

Please see attached image to see what I need to send.

Imsai.jpg

As I've never actually used an IMSAI before I have no idea of its size or weight. If anyone has any idea of what this collection would weigh, and about how big the box (double boxed) would be to contain it, I'd really appreciate if you could let me know. Then hopefully I'll be able to figure out the most economical way to ship it.

Thanks for everyones time.
Phil

Congratulations on your acquisition! I'm sorry to say that I suspect your shipping will be in the hundreds. Sorry, I don't have dimensions handy.

Hi all,
I've finally tracked down an IMSAI 8080. It's been a computer on my wish list for many many years now.
The problem is I have to ship it from California to Tokyo where I live, so first I need to figure out the size and weight if the box.

Please see attached image to see what I need to send.

View attachment 17528

As I've never actually used an IMSAI before I have no idea of its size or weight. If anyone has any idea of what this collection would weigh, and about how big the box (double boxed) would be to contain it, I'd really appreciate if you could let me know. Then hopefully I'll be able to figure out the most economical way to ship it.

Thanks for everyones time.
Phil

Yes, I'm estimating that it's going to be about $300. But need to be sure of the price as I have to pay the sender before it ships. Catch 22.

Hello Phil,
please direct the seller to take the IMSAI apart (Front panel, transformer, boards and enclosure) and pack/send the parts separated.
The sheet metal of the IMSAI enclosure i not very stiff and the transformer with his weight can bends the enclosure when dropped.
Also the switches and levers are sensitive to brake.
My IMSAI from the US was perfectly packed, like a onion box in box (4).
When i get it, many bends of the enclusure i must straigthen in the vise.
The foremost card edge connector (front panel) on the mainboard breaks completely.

Frank

The floppies will be the heaviest.
I can weight my machine and dual disk drive
once I get my truck back from the shop.
As Frank mentions, cards should be removed
and wrapped. They can be stuffed in the chassis
if needed.
A protector can be made for the switches with
a couple layers of cardboard rings around the switches,
with the grain pointing outwards.
For the main packing, do not wrap the chassis in
bobble wrap. Use closed cell poly foam. It can be bought
at shipping stores.
It should be cut to contour the chassis, at right angles, not just sheets
layered on the chassis. You want it to float on the edges
of the poly foam.
Dwight

Last edited:
Whatever you do, assume it will be dropped and thrown around. I shipped a Model F keyboard to Japan last year. It was wrapped in bubble wrap and then packed in styrofoam in a sturdy 2 layer box and sealed with a lot of packing tape. Somebody somewhere between California and Japan still managed to break the thing! BTW, shipping and insurance for the keyboard was $62, so I wish you a lot of luck with this.

Hello Phil,
below are some pictures from what i get.
My IMSAI 8080 has a weight of about 15kg.
Frank
image0001.jpg image0002.jpg image0004.jpg

I can't speak to the direct weight right now but I bought mine a while back with a terminal, dual floppy, and system and it of course ended up being a freight shipment from within the US. I can't quite remember the exact cost of shipping but it was guesstimated somewhere between 300-400 I think and IIRC they knocked it down to just below $300 but that was by using a freight company that their company had a large account with. But that was in a wood crate with lots of packing peanuts and wrapped in double digits feet of thin packing foam stuff.

As the others said, the floppy drive unit weights more than the computer.

Hi all, much thanks for all the replies.
Looks like the IMSAI is more delicate than I first though. At the very least I will need to ask the shipper to remove all the cards I think. I don't know if that would be willing to dismantle the unit beyond that unfortunately. Maybe I also have to ship the drive and the IMSAI in separate boxes. I was hoping to avoid that as It'll probably cost more.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Phil

Mine shipped fine together but like I said there was a huge amount of foam wrapping around each item then the crate was filled with peanuts. I didn't know any better (actually this is the first I've heard of concern for the front panel myself) but if wrapped well it may not be a big deal other than cards of course could come unseated but I don't think it'd be damaging.

Hello Phil,
yes, it is without boards. My Imsai has a dual transformer power supply, so you are on the safe side with this weight.
Frank

Back