• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Matched pair of black 360kb half height floppy drives

I have a matching pair of 360K Half Height drives from an IBM 5150, which I have just received (I like Full Height)
Will these Half height be compatible to your TRS-80?

I'm pretty sure any will work. The only issue I had was the orientation of the notch on the data cable. If you're look at the drive with its front facing you right side up, the edge connector in the back should be on the right side of the drive with the notch on the right side as well.

Prices? PM or post them or if you want to do a trade let me know what you're looking for. I don't have a whole lot that I've tested yet though.

I'll open it up and get some pics of the fronts and notches in a couple hours.
I'm really wanting a Full Height 360K and a Full Height 720K. If you can only offer cash, I'll PM with pics and further discussion.

i regret to say, i dropped the ball.
i was called by my wife that she needed my car as soon as i could get home.. and i rushed out before i got the pics for you.
i won't have the information until monday. my 5150 i just received is at work where i have better cleaners and tools (i dion't have a monitor so I can't tinker with it yet).

I purchased a pair of as-is drives from lowen. He was more than willing to work with me and I would definitely buy from him again. After lubricating the rotating parts, swapping the top PCB and swapping the pressure pad to one of his drives, I now have a second working drive!

After a lot of swapping of parts between my good drive and bad drive, it was determined that the bad one had a bad head. I know of no such way to fix those.

Also, my IM box is now no longer full.

A lot of times, the head itself isn't bad, but the support for the head can be bent out of kilter so that the head doesn't contact the disk surface. Not uncommon, particularly when the drive is operated by a gorilla who likes to be rough with his drives. Another issue is a bad faceplate latch mechanism that doesn't allow the drive to completely close--this is very common on TM-100s as the user tends to "flip" the drive open rather violently. Eventually, cracks develop in the plastic mechanism; sometimes a pin in the mech disappears.

All can be repaired. A failed head is extremely rare.

Back