• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OK all you XP diehards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything of that age would have PCI or AGP slots for video, meaning they are completely obsolete for the fancy features of Win 7/8 and no video card you can buy on the cheap will fix that or play Youtube HD videos let alone stuff enough RAM into to be of decent use.

I am able to play Ucrap videos easily enough on the integrated video on one of my PIIs, its running 2k though.

Good thing I don't own any internet capable XP boxes, my daily runner is still 98se :)

Hardware accelerated Aero/DWM works fine with AGP video cards. Any decent card from 2002 onwards will work with it.

Microsoft is really getting desperate, look what popped up in the news today: Is that a start menu?

Interesting thing is before it was released to the public, the Start Menu was in Windows 8 during the beta/early RC stages. They removed it to force people to use the new interface.

So 8 was packing the code all this time, and they are just now using it? They should have waited a few years before switching to the pure touch style, ya know, perhaps when touch desktops and laptops were in regular use, not still a niche market. I for one, however will have a trusty mouse with me in some form or another for a very, very, long time.

Interesting thing is before it was released to the public, the Start Menu was in Windows 8 during the beta/early RC stages. They removed it to force people to use the new interface.

Mass-media fearmongering over the 95% of ATMs that are still running XP...

The company I work for has over 100 computers still running XP, and while they are all on the list to be replaced or upgraded, there is no mad rush to get it done before the 8th.

"So they have to keep one step ahead, it's scary.".

One of these days I am going to make a video collage lines like this crap from news reports. "We should be scared! So scary! Oh, my that is scary! You can't be too safe! Very scary stuff... and now for the weather".

They make it sound like it is impossible for someone to take security in to their own hands.

As if a brand new up-to-date Windows 8.1 system doesn't have security holes that only the bad guys know about.

Mass-media fearmongering over the 95% of ATMs that are still running XP...
No one ever worried about the Access based ones. I wonder how many of those are left? It's been a few years since I saw a Guru Meditation on an ATM, but then, how often does one crash anyway?

Anybody know how to turn off the Security Essentials nag screen and maybe even make the icon green again instead of orange?

Dunno, but I noticed it yesterday after a "Security Update" to the SE engine. I suspect that it's hardwired in, but haven't checked.
So they're going to support and update MSE until July 2015 but we're going to have to look at that nag screen every day? I can see a lot of people just turning it off or removing it altogether.

BTW, I tried System Restore to any of the last 5 days and, although it goes through the motions, at the end it declares that it can't restore; anybody else see that? That does worry me...

As if a brand new up-to-date Windows 8.1 system doesn't have security holes that only the bad guys know about.
It's true. But they find out, and release a Windows Update to patch it before it goes too mainstream.
On XP if a vulnerability is found it'll stay there.

But the funny thing about that, is when do you see ATM's doing Windows Updates anyway? Surely it'd be locked down, tested, installed, and left alone for the most part.
I think the only real difference is if a bank has to shutdown an ATM, they can't blame Microsoft anymore.

The official explanation of the always amber MSE is http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...entially/1328d67a-5720-4481-8662-e52a49a11a22

Terribly stupid since it will encourage people to ignore actual warnings. The whole benefit of MSE was fewer false positives with limited performance reduction.
Nothing to do except uninstall MSE and install something else and hope MS doesn't remember the Security Center with the other warning shield icon. I have not installed version 4.5.216.0 of MSE on XP so my icon is still green but I don't know how long it will be before it gets forcefully updated.

The official explanation of the always amber MSE is http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...entially/1328d67a-5720-4481-8662-e52a49a11a22

Terribly stupid since it will encourage people to ignore actual warnings. The whole benefit of MSE was fewer false positives with limited performance reduction.
Nothing to do except uninstall MSE and install something else and hope MS doesn't remember the Security Center with the other warning shield icon. I have not installed version 4.5.216.0 of MSE on XP so my icon is still green but I don't know how long it will be before it gets forcefully updated.
Unbelievably stupid! Why even bother supporting it until July of next year? I can live with the amber icon, but not the pop-up; surely MS must have an 'arrangement' with Symantec, Kaspersky et al...

Just got a call from a friend this morning who thinks that XP will quit working after April. I told her not to worry--MS isn't going to disable XP use as much as they'd probably like to.

I expect a raft of these things.

Just got a call from a friend this morning who thinks that XP will quit working after April. I told her not to worry--MS isn't going to disable XP use as much as they'd probably like to.

I expect a raft of these things.
Feh! You're just getting them now? Ole and I have you beat by a week (#164 & 167) ;-)

I have Security Essentials 4.5.216.0 running in Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 (a slimmed-down version of XP that will continue to be supported through 2019), and the icon is green and there is no "end of support" nag -- so it's smart enough to know it's not running on plain XP, unlike Microsoft's "Am I running XP?" web site, which makes an incorrect guess based on the browser user agent string and can't tell the difference between XP and Embedded 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back