• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TV Typewriter replica project

I'd be happier about the ID if Don, when presented by your photo, said "Yes!, That's the critter."
Well, I don't think it is the exact critter since the colours don't match (unless Don combined keytops from several units), but MDS are the only keyboards I know of that used round unlabelled keytops in those colours so I suspect that his was from an MDS keypunch whereas mine are from key-tape units.

One thing that is different though is the keyboard labels. On keyboards like mine they are on a single plate with holes for the keys, which snaps on to the kb frame; another way (which might in fact not have been MDS) was a labelled plastic surround on each key, which is what Don's looks like.

I guess the CHM wouldn't be happy about opening theirs up...;-)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the OP is interested or if this is the right part, but i have tvt 6-5/8 band new in the bag with all the parts. Not sure what its worth but am willing to let it go.

I've been away for a bit.. am curious what the 6 5/8 is exactly? I gather a terminal? I've no clue what those would be worth.. never seen one. Can't even find a picture.

I've been away for a bit.. am curious what the 6 5/8 is exactly? I gather a terminal? I've no clue what those would be worth.. never seen one. Can't even find a picture.

I believe its the main board for the tv typewriter. The paper work says is a Don Lancaster board and comes with 2 different eproms. Has alot of parts with it. I'll try to take some pics later.

Sorry for the double post. This is what wikipedia says about the board:

TV Typewriter Cookbook[edit]

Don Lancaster's TV Typewriter Cookbook
By 1975 Don Lancaster had authored over 100 articles in magazines such as Popular Electronics and Radio-Electronics. He had also written a digital design book titled the RTL Cookbook in 1968. Resistor-transistor logic (RTL) was an early IC technology that was replaced by TTL, so in 1974 he published the TTL Cookbook. This book was in print for 20 years and sold a million copies.

The original TV Typewriter was designed before low cost RAM was available and the design was soon obsolete. Don had made many design improvements and published them as the TV Typewriter Cookbook in 1976. Portions had been serialized in the first issues of Byte magazine. The book was a guide on how to design a video computer terminal.

Some Basics
Integrated Circuits for TVT use
Memory
System Timing - Calculation and Circuits
Cursor and Update Circuits
Keyboards and Encoders
Serial Interfaces
Television Interfaces
Hard Copy and Color Graphics
This book guided many hobbyist and professionals in designing video displays for home computer systems. The cassette interface design from chapter 7 was the basis for the Kansas City standard. The circuits in this book did not rely on a microprocessor, just TTL. The TV Cheap Video Cookbook (1978) showed the TVT 6 5/8 that would work with a 6502 or 6800 microprocessor. The design was targeted at the KIM-1 Microcomputer.

The original TV Typewriter book cover shows an ASCII keyboard designed by Don Lancaster and sold by Southwest Technical Products. An early computer store chain, the Byte Shop, had the publisher add their logo to the covers and sold the TTL Cookbook and the TV Typewriter Cookbook in their stores. A later edition cover was designed for Radio Shack stores. The ninth printing of the first edition was in 1983.

I believe that I mentioned that the keyboard shown in the article was the one I used--I still have the manual--that would be around 1975. But Frank says that's not the one the Don used, which is what's leaving us guessing.

Cool!

Be interesting to see some pictures of it. Let me know if you come up with a price. It sounds like just a more advanced, refined TVT.

I think I built this TV Typewriter back in the 70's. I may still have it. I made the boards at work from the magazine drawings.
It worked! I'll see if I still have it.
I don't remember what keyboard I used as I had several.
Bob

Back