• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trying to format RD54 in 11/53 with RQDX3. Help please.

acollins22

Experienced Member
Hello Folks,

I've managed to find an RD54 to put into my PDP-11/53. In fact I found two.

My machine has its processor in slot 1, RAM in slot 2 and an RQDX3 in slot 3. I've removed the other boards temporarily just in case they were causing me problems - probably not.

I'm having difficulty formatting either of the RD54s and wonder if someone can help me?

I can boot into XXDP from either a TU58 emulation or an RX50 floppy. I then run ZRQCH0.BIN.

I go step by step through the prompts choosing the parameters. When the the system starts formatting the drive it says ...

Formatting of Drive 0 begun. (The drive light comes on and I hear a stepping sound)

It doesn't say anything else then but will run for about 5-10 mins and then say ...

ZRQC SYS FTL ERR 00007 ON UNIT 00 TST 001 SUB 000 PC: 105742
Controller has reported a fatal error in the FORMAT program.

Drive 0 was not formatted successfully.

ZRQ EOP 1
1 TOTAL ERRS.

I have tried both drives with the same results. I have tried both fully specified and AUTOFORMAT with the same results. With AUTOFORMAT the program reconises that I have an RD54 on unit 0 and an RX50 on unit 1.

I have replaced the 34 way cable to the drive but I don't have a spare 20 way so haven't replaced that.

If anyone has any clues I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Andy.

The most telling is when I select autoformat.

I have a lot of full height MFM drives and most of them can't be formatted. They just don't age well. Most of them died just sitting on the shelf. I spent a lot of time and energy in the past trying to revive them, unsuccessfully. OTOH, ST-225 drives seem, to run forever. :)

Do the drives have the terminator fitted and does it have the correct SEL jumper installed. I had similar problems a while back. Trial and error with the SEL jumpers got me working. It shouldn't be 0 or 1 if you have the RX50 installed.

Thanks Uniballer,

That thread suggested options I was already using to no avail.

Is it a clue that after I get a message saying it's formatting the drive, I don't get any other messages until the fail one?

Once again, when a drive can't be LLFed it's probably because it's hosed. I've got a box of FH Doorstops if you need any (more). :)

Solved :)

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

After trying another drive that "Failed" in the same way I was looking for a common theme rather than three seperate failures. I went through the manual for the controller checking the settings and found one of the jumpers wasn't in its default position. It controlls the pin one of the write-related signas appears on. I put it where DEC intended and formatted one of the RD54s without a problem.

Thanks folks, On with the Micro RSX load.

Andy.

Back