• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gummed encoders on Cipher Drives

NeXT

Veteran Member
Both of my rackmount Cipher 9-track drives have a little arm with a wheel on the end that on one end has some sort of rotary encoder and on the other end rests against the take-up spool. Both of my drives it seems has an issue where the bearing or something in that assembly has gummed up resulting in erratic self-test failures (rear motor error) or failed reads/writes/advences. I can't figure out how to remove the arm to lubricate it. Was this a common problem? Both of my drives came from different environments. One was in a shed for 20 years and the other was taken out of use a month or two before I found it.

Indeed it's a 990.
The wheel is coated with something but it's definately not rubber. It makes it just grippy enough that it won't slip when in use. The rest of the assembly that I can see is anodized aluminum and steel.

Indeed it's a 990.
The wheel is coated with something but it's definately not rubber. It makes it just grippy enough that it won't slip when in use. The rest of the assembly that I can see is anodized aluminum and steel.

I had a nice M4 Data 9914 drive which had a similar issue. The tachometer roller had some sort of thin rubber layer around the metal core, which turned to goo. Removing the goo left a bare metal surface which would not grip the moving tape well enough to correctly sense the tape motion. I never found a working solution to that issue and in frustration eventually just gave that drive away. I wish I had been able to fix that drive as it had a SCSI interface (the Pertec interface was accessible too) and 800 bpi in addition to 1600 and 6250 bpi. My Fujitsu M2444AC doesn't do 800 bpi.

I've found that Tygon is my friend in the case of goo-ed rollers and capstans. Grippier than vinyl, and pretty much impervious to anything. Available in a pretty wide range of sizes, but not cheap.

I'd like to find an 800 bpi PE drive just in case I ever get a tape done with that. A 7-track drive would also be useful.

M4 tach roller

M4 tach roller

Did you ever find a way to restore the right type of friction to that tach-roller? (I just ran into a drive that had never been used, but that surface had turned to goo.)

I had a nice M4 Data 9914 drive which had a similar issue. The tachometer roller had some sort of thin rubber layer around the metal core, which turned to goo. Removing the goo left a bare metal surface which would not grip the moving tape well enough to correctly sense the tape motion. I never found a working solution to that issue and in frustration eventually just gave that drive away. I wish I had been able to fix that drive as it had a SCSI interface (the Pertec interface was accessible too) and 800 bpi in addition to 1600 and 6250 bpi. My Fujitsu M2444AC doesn't do 800 bpi.

Did you ever find a way to restore the right type of friction to that tach-roller?

Surgical tubing mostly works.

The encoder wheel on the 9914 is EXTREMELY fragile, making it pretty much impossible to remove the shaft.
What is left of the M4 Data /STC product line was bought up by Pinetree Peripherals (they had a bunch of parts up
on eBay but apparently nothing sold) but they were pretty much a waste of time. I sent an entire head assembly
because I didn't want to risk taking the encoder out, and they just returned it without installing a new one (which
was going to be several hundred dollars WITH the other roller in exchange).

Back