• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What power supply? (Old AT Pentium with a 12 pin socket)

JonB

Veteran Member
Does anyone know where I can get a power supply for this QDA Pentium 1 AT motherboard? It has a straight 12 pin connector. Alternatively, an adapter from a modern PC power supply (I guess XT, it has a keyed connector block with two rows) to the old 12 pin connector?

Question 2: The 12 pin connector is (electrically) the same as the two 6 pin connectors that were fitted to IBM machines (these are referred to as P8 and P9 respectively). Are these known to be able to plug into the 12 pin connector side by side? They would have the same pin outs, effectively, as long as the black GND wires on each connector were adjacent.

Motherboard manual is here: http://koti.mbnet.fi/~jokunen_/430vxe22.pdf and the power connector description is on page 3-1

Ebay ?, What case are you using.

(2) Yes, It's the normal 12 pin connector.

Yeah, I finally read an article that explained it, thanks!

@Malc, still looking for a case. It might end up screwed to a bit of plywood at this rate, with power supply and drives. A kind of FrankenPC? My main concern would be keeping the VGA card stable, as it wouldn't be in a rigid frame.

@GottaLottaStuff: Yes, unfortunately. It is one of the few motherboards containing a floppy disk controller that is known to pass all of the Dave Dunfield disk utility tests. In other words, perfect for transferring CP/M (and other) disk images to physical media like 5.25" floppies.

@GottaLottaStuff: Yes, unfortunately. It is one of the few motherboards containing a floppy disk controller that is known to pass all of the Dave Dunfield disk utility tests. In other words, perfect for transferring CP/M (and other) disk images to physical media like 5.25" floppies.

Up until about the P3 boards, yes, PCs were a desert for single-density operation from on-board controllers. After that, the situation got quite a bit better. You may want to try some of your later boards.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Chuck(G)
Up until about the P3 boards, yes, PCs were a desert for single-density operation from on-board controllers. After that, the situation got quite a bit better. You may want to try some of your later boards.

Isn't a Pentium 1 board later than a 386?
Does a 386 have an on-board controller?

My old HP P4 supports single-density, I was quite surprised at that as i didn't think it would, I'll have to dig out all my old mobo's and test them.

Back