• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDP11//83 Front panel switches

8008guy

Veteran Member
Couple of questions from a DEC novice.

1. Does the restart switch actually do anything? When I have my 11/83 booted in the console mode and I hit restart nothing changes. If I push halt and run in ODT mode I hit restart and nothing changes either. When I found a reference to it in the manual I believe that from ODT mode pressing restart should reboot to start-up mode? No?

2. Do any of you guys pull the W1 and W2 jumpers on the front panel bezel board to control the system power?

CHeers!

len

If you are using an M8190 board, verify that switches 1-4 on the CPU are off.

What kind of chassis is your system in? A BA11, BA23, or BA123?

Lastly, make sure that your boards are in the backplane properly -

CPU first, followed immediately by memory, if using non-PMI memory. (M7551 / MSV11-Q, or M8067 / MSV11-P type memory)
Memory first, followed immediately by the CPU, if using PMI memory. (M8637 / MSV11-J type memory)

1-4 are off.

BA11

Memory first, PMI. CPU in the second slot.

The system runs and boot to the console, and when I toggle the halt switch it does drop into ODT. WHen I run all the self tests they pass. Memory shows 4 Meg. (4088k)

I have a H9276A BACKPLANE and a H7861.

len

If you are using an M8190 board, verify that switches 1-4 on the CPU are off.

What kind of chassis is your system in? A BA11, BA23, or BA123?

Lastly, make sure that your boards are in the backplane properly -

CPU first, followed immediately by memory, if using non-PMI memory. (M7551 / MSV11-Q, or M8067 / MSV11-P type memory)
Memory first, followed immediately by the CPU, if using PMI memory. (M8637 / MSV11-J type memory)

Memory first, PMI. CPU in the second slot.

The system runs and boot to the console, and when I toggle the halt switch it does drop into ODT. WHen I run all the self tests they pass. Memory shows 4 Meg. (4088k)

I have a H9276A BACKPLANE and a H7861.

len

How do you get 4MB of PMI memory with the CPU in the second slot? I'm only aware of the M8637 MSV11-J 2MB PMI boards of which you would need 2 to get 4MB of PMI memory.

I also have a BA11-S with the same H9276 9x4 Q22/CD backplane and H7861 power supply. It's empty at the moment. Maybe I can find some time to stick an M8190 KDJ11-B in there with a couple of M8637 MSV11-J 2MB PMI boards and see if I have the same behavior you describe.

Also, you might want to enter Setup mode and check the EEPROM configuration parameters for Power-Up and Restart modes and try setting them both to Dialog mode if they are currently set to something else. (Enter Setup mode by typing S followed by <RETURN> when you're at the Dialog mode prompt).

Also, it might be possible that the Restart switch logic on your BA11-S front panel is broken. Looks like the Restart switch is fed through both halves of an LM339 comparator, then into a 74123 to trigger a pulse that pulls down the B DCOK signal through an 8838.

Do you have anything you could use to probe the B DCOK signal on Pin 10 of J1 on the front panel PCB to check if the signal is pulsed low when you hit the Restart switch?

Re-check your memory type -- I've not heard of a 4MB single-board PMI memory module,
unless it is some sort of DEC-compatible.

Also -- There are two dip switches on the circuit board behind the front panel switches.
One is line-time-clock related, the other I'm not sure about.

It could be reset-related, but it could also relate to the output of the auxiliary front panel switch;
I just don't remember.

I was curious enough about the details of the Restart circuit on my BA11-S front panel that I hooked it up to my scope to take a look. My front panel board matches the one in BA11-S print set:

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/qbus/MP01233_BA11-S_schem_Mar81.pdf

The board is part number 5012984 and etched on the board are the following markings:
5012984GP25412985
11/03-L FR PNL

I removed the front panel board from my BA11-S chassis and hooked it up in isolation to my bench +5V power supply and my scope. The B DCOK H signal on Pin 10 of J1 is normally pulled high to +5V through a 2K pullup. When I hit the Restart switch I see a single 1.18us pulse down to 0V on the B DCOK H signal on Pin 10 of J1. That is roughly the expected duration with the 10K Rext and 330pf Cext values used with the 74123 which generates the pulse.

I haven't installed an M8190 in the BA11-S yet, I'll give that a try later.

scope_5.jpg

Also -- There are two dip switches on the circuit board behind the front panel switches.
One is line-time-clock related, the other I'm not sure about

I am slowly assembling a 11/73, just a thought...
If the 11/83 front panel is similar to the 11/73, then as you say sw 1 is for time clock,and sw 2 is in deed to enable or disable the front restart switch, worth checking if this is definately ON and working to enable front button restart?

....Harry

The front panel board of a BA11-S has three paddle switches on the front and no switches on the back. The BA23 front panel has square push buttons and the two switches on the back.

I just set up a BA11-S chassis with two M8637-E MSV11-JE 2MB PMI memory boards in slots 1 and 2 and an M8190-AE KDJ11-B in slot 3.

When I power on the chassis with the momentary Restart switch in its normally DOWN position and the Halt and Aux switches in the UP position I get this power on banner from the KDJ11-B console:

Code:
                    Testing in progress - Please wait

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Commands are Help, Boot, List, Setup, Map and Test.
Type a command then press the RETURN key:

If I flip UP the Restart switch the KDJ11-B goes through the same power up sequence again and I get the same power on banner from the KDJ11-B console again.

Can a Unibus 11/84 do the PMI first thing? I have often wondered. I believe it can't,
but would like to know for sure.

The 11/84 manuals show that the KDJ11-B CPU, the MSV11-J memory, and the KTJ11-B UNIBUS Adapter Module (UBA) all communicate through the PMI bus. All other adapters would be on the UNIBUS on the other side of the UBA.

Back