• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Newly acquired vintage computers

bettablue

Veteran Member
Today, I was the lucky recipient of several vintage computers.

First off, I got two Commodore 64's along with a single Commodore 1541 floppy drive each, one of the C-64's has a broken and missing key, but the other looks to be in great condition. Then there is a VIC-20 that is missing the keyboard all together. These came with one Dataset recorder, and a few software cartridges, and cassette tapes. I need power supplies for the Commodore systems, or can someone give me the power specs so that I may be able to get a new regulated power supply? I will also need to get a switch so that I can connect the computer to my color monitor. The monitor in question uses a single RCA connector. All of the sounds come through the RCA audio input on a television or other sound system. I know a bit about the Commodore computers, as in how to replace the entire keyboard, however I don't know anything about what I need to replace the missing key and broken stem. The key is missing, and was not in the box, so salvaging one isn't as simple as using some form of Super Glue.

I also received a TRS-80 Color model 1, and finally, there is an Apple IIe system, complete with Apple Duo-Disc, and green phosphor tilt screen.
The Apple IIe is another story all together. While it is in completely working condition, the case has some metallic numeric stickers.

So what I need to know is how to repair the broken key on the one C-64, and possibly whiten the Apple IIe system's cases. In fact, there is nothing made of plastic that hasn't yellowed on this computer. I know of Scotch-Brite and some other products, that claim many of the members of VCF have used. I guess what I really need to know is how to disassemble the Apple IIe's monitor, and the Duo Disc floppy drive. Or do you all suggest that I just leave it alone?

Still, not a bad haul; especially for free.

You could take a keyboard from a C64 and use it in the VIC20 if you wanted, but you may already know that.

The C= power supplies you need are all the same, and they provide 9VAC at 1A, which is easily obtained from a common wall wart; as well as 5VDC, which is not as easy.

I wouldn't do anything with the yellowing, but that's just me.

Awesome haul, especially for free!

Last edited:
Quite a nice haul Thomas! I have lots of spare parts for the C64 keyboards and I have a lot of spare tested original power supplies. Drop me a PM and we can chat about what you need. In the long run, you'll want to get a C64 saver if you decide to use original power supplies. :)

Hope the move is going well!

Heather

Back