• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

For Sale: spotted on Craigslist (continuous sightings)

I've had my two at&t 6300 on craingslist.org too. by the way they are still for sale, one is fine the other has a bad video card or bios issue i think. only one old monitor, but i have all the dos and gwbasic books, good keyboard and a a failing "super duper" keyboard from keytronics. this isn't really an ad cause i don't know what i can get for them nor do i know how i would deliver said product; but it's an entertaining thought and you can keep your eyes open in the greenville sc section of craigslist.org for me

Runs MS-DOS even before the first 8086 shipped. Is there a phenomenon called "date deflation" when selling vintage iron? :)

They probably meant 1987... but DR-DOS does have a copyright going back to 1976, because it's based on CP/M (and admits being so, unlike 86-DOS / MS-DOS :p ).

DR-DOS-8.PNG

They probably meant 1987... but DR-DOS does have a copyright going back to 1976, because it's based on CP/M (and admits being so, unlike 86-DOS / MS-DOS :p ).

I suspect that claim of 1976 would not have held water if challenged, because DR-DOS is "substantially" different from 8-bit CP/M 1.0. That is, it would be safe to assume that there is no common code.

How long has DR-DOS been in development? If I had a program called DR-DOS in 1976 that was a CP/M-alike, and over 30 years of development added MS-DOS compatibility and slowly dropped the original functionality, I'd say (C)1976 as well.

I'd written software in 1986 that kept the same name and basic functionality since then, but went through a complete rewrite in 1990, 1998 and 2013. None of the code is common between the four versions, but they essentially do the same thing, and it wasn't intentional for the code to change so drastically. I say (C)1990 because I still have all the code going back that far. I completely lost the previous versions. Even though I know without a doubt that the pre-1990 versions existed, there's no way I could prove it.

There was no DR-DOS before the IBM PC. There was CP/M and MP/M and their 16-bit variants CP/M-86, Concurrent CP/M, Concurrent DOS and MP/M-86,all of which were after 1980. SCP-DOS was a 16-bit clone of 8-bit CP/M because CP/M-86 was always "real soon now". But trying to claim that MS-DOS violated the 1976 CP/M copyright (software patents didn't exist then and even software copyright didn't extend to "look and feel" in 1976) would be ludicrous.

The offering was discussed on CCTalk as well. He listed it on eBay along with a number of other items and then shut down the bids early because a "local buyer" told him he was practically giving it away. So his expectation are set high now even though no local buyer has apparently shown up...

I bid on some of his stuff from ebay and was on way to win when he pulled the auctions. Sounds shady to me... (or somewhat delirious)

Back