• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Native CGA Video Capture Using Startech PEXHDCAP

chjmartin2

Experienced Member
Hi,

I will post a lot more on this later. I bought a Startech PEXHDCAP, grabbed a TTL to Analog RGB converter (For C128/CGA) and rather than running it into a VGA Resyncer the PEXHDCAP can handle the 15 KHz signal directly. Woot. I can tell you that even 60 HZ Flicker effects capture beautifully on this card. Fun stuff. So happy that it worked because I was not sure it would.

Here is a teaser:

Would like to know if anybody would know how I could figure out how to make/buy an EGA TTL to Analog RGB converter. I know this card can capture 15 Khz, wonder if it can sync to Ega 23 KHz....

Very impressive, I can see the brown in your Archon video. I'd like to see some geniune 60Hz/fps capture. Of course, you will need to upscale the video for that.

Would like to know if anybody would know how I could figure out how to make/buy an EGA TTL to Analog RGB converter. I know this card can capture 15 Khz, wonder if it can sync to Ega 23 KHz....

I think most people would simply use a VGA capture device, the pixels are not. However, several arcade games use refresh rates in the low 20s, so it may be possible.

Which one? Are these available for sale, or did you build one from a schematic?

http://he-insanity.blogspot.com/2014/03/commodore-128-cga-video-dac-board.html

The board is available at the link. He recommends combining it with a GBS 8220 Arcade Scaler, but that is not what I did. I bought the PEXHDCAP and then made this:

IMG_0435.jpgIMG_0436.jpgIMG_0437.jpg

I connected the RGB outputs to RGB, Horiz Sync and Vertical Sync to the appropriate pins and then ground for a whole bunch of pins. I feel like if I had a capacitor between R/R return, G/G Return, B/B Return but no idea what the right value would be. But it does work great.

Since this is under "PC", does the setup correctly do the translation for yellow-to-brown? Or does it look like yellow?

20150226225439.JPG

It shows Brown. Not quite right, but it is what it is.

This picture makes me feel like I have channel cross talk. Maybe I shouldn't have twisted Blue and Green together.... hmmmm...

Colors, including brown, look pretty damn good to me!

Make no mistake - I love it - I just think the brown is a tad bit lighter than life. I am super pleased with it. I do wish I knew how to clean up the little bit of noise I can see.

Thought you might like some additional screen caps. There are 16 color images but everything is RGBI captured through a DAC. Not pixel perfect but really darn nice.

Chris

No doubt a real CGA monitor could display all these images, but I'm guessing that some of these images couldn't actually be generated by a physical CGA card due to framebuffer limitations? I.e. each bit represents a dot in 640x200 mode, on-board logic selects 4 colors from a palette of 16 colors in 320x200, etc. The monitor doesn't care, but a real CGA card would never feed a CGA monitor a 16-color image in 320x200 without some fancy tricks (I'm not part of the demoscene for a reason :p).

Back