• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I need help looking for a chassis

WizardZZ

This DEC 70-27975-01 item is only the 8-port bulkhead I/O panel for an M8981 KDJ11-E 11/93 CPU:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200598035527

It is the 8-port I/O panel shown in the picture for this listing along with the QED 993 CPU board from the same seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200600166676

The BA11-SE chassis in this listing mentioned above does look like it is in nice shape and the current starting bid of $99 isn't unreasonable, but yeah shipping might add up too from Los Angeles, depending on your location.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141583113688

That's probably around what I paid for the last BA11 chassis I picked up on eBay, which wasn't in as nice and complete condition.

This DEC 70-27975-01 item is only the 8-port bulkhead I/O panel for an M8981 KDJ11-E 11/93 CPU:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200598035527

It is the 8-port I/O panel shown in the picture for this listing along with the QED 993 CPU board from the same seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200600166676

The BA11-SE chassis in this listing mentioned above does look like it is in nice shape and the current starting bid of $99 isn't unreasonable, but yeah shipping might add up too from Los Angeles, depending on your location.

That's probably around what I paid for the last BA11 chassis I picked up on eBay, which wasn't in as nice and complete condition.

That's really tempting, but it looks like im going to have to sell some stuff to get it.Ah well

That was my auction. I'm cleaning out my four(!) storage units and getting rid of most of my stuff. Although that BA11-SE went for over $400, I think I have several more, so prices should come down on them. I also have roughly 150 Q-bus cards (and some Unibus) which I want to sell, as soon as I get the inventory done.

I'm new to this forum, so it will take me a while to get settled in.

That was my auction. I'm cleaning out my four(!) storage units and getting rid of most of my stuff. Although that BA11-SE went for over $400, I think I have several more, so prices should come down on them. I also have roughly 150 Q-bus cards (and some Unibus) which I want to sell, as soon as I get the inventory done.

I just bought a backplane but if you could at some point sell me some stuff on the cheap that would be fantastic.I got this http://www.ebay.com/itm/321400207972?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nice sale for you on that BA11 chassis. I wasn't expecting it to go that high even though it looked complete and clean.

Curious to see what else you have.

That backplane appears to have 6 rows. . . which to me would indicate that it is a Unibus backplane.

(Someone else jump in, to verify)

If so, it won't be compatible with Q-bus cards -- Don't plug anything in to it, unless you like smoke !

I just bought a backplane but if you could at some point sell me some stuff on the cheap that would be fantastic.I got this http://www.ebay.com/itm/321400207972?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321400207972

Hmm, maybe that MBA backplane is for the RH780 Massbus Adapter.
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/vax/780/MP00499_RH780_Nov77.pdf

If that is what it is there might not be anything useful you can do with it.

That is indeed an RH780 massbuss adapter backplane,
as confirmed by the print set. . . about 5 line items down on page 1.

Don't attempt to use this backplane for normal q-bus operations.

Q-bus backplanes will almost always have 4 sockets going across (for Quad and/or Dual boards),
though there are some uncommon backplanes that are only 2 sockets wide (for Dual boards only.)

Most, if not all backplanes with more than 4 sockets across are going to be Unibus,
or some type of specialty backplane, and should be avoided if you're going to use Q-Bus boards.

DEC backplanes that you CAN use are as follows:

H9270 4 x 4 backplane, probably 18-bit, may need additional signal lines bussed. Only good for minimal systems.
H9273 4 x 9 backplane, sometimes 16-bit, sometimes 18-bit, may need additional signal lines bussed.
H9275 4 x 9 backplane, with Q/Q bussed down both sides. Does not support boards that use the CD interconnect.
H9276 4 x 9 backplane, with Q/CD in the first 3 slots, and Q/Q the rest of the way. The best for general use.

And of course, any of the BA23/BA123 chassis, which are variations of the H9276, give-or-take a few slots.
The backplane for the BA123 is separate from the card-cage, and not very useful.

Most of the 3rd-party 4-slot backplanes you will encounter will either be 18 or 22-bit backplanes,
in varying configurations. Can be hit-or-miss, and some studying will need to be done, to verify
what type of bussing they have on the various slots. Plessey, for example, has some slots
dedicated to Plessey-proprietary boards.

What cards do you have? , I have an old International Nuclear knock off backplane that was used with an M-8186 CPU that’s a lot like a H-9270 ABCD frame that if you’re not afraid to work with will provide the backbone of a system. Problem is there is no documentation with it. Will have to look and see if I still have the power supply that went with it also. The biggest issue would be adapting the run, halt and reset switches although I still may have the panel that they used for that. I disassembled the system some time back and sold off the MFM/floppy control that was with it along with a couple other parts but if you interested will see what’s left and figure if you’re up to the challenge you can have the backplane for $50 and the backplane, power supply and whatever else I have that’s left from the entire system for $100 There is a big ABCD style memory card that’s in there because they were not using M-8044 cards that will go with the system but the KDF-11 and four port serial card were all standard DEC stuff. The other weird thing is they had a couple of their own design cards in the end slots that formed a terminal for the consul functions.

What cards do you have? , I have an old International Nuclear knock off backplane that was used with an M-8186 CPU that’s a lot like a H-9270 ABCD frame that if you’re not afraid to work with will provide the backbone of a system. Problem is there is no documentation with it. Will have to look and see if I still have the power supply that went with it also. The biggest issue would be adapting the run, halt and reset switches although I still may have the panel that they used for that. I disassembled the system some time back and sold off the MFM/floppy control that was with it along with a couple other parts but if you interested will see what’s left and figure if you’re up to the challenge you can have the backplane for $50 and the backplane, power supply and whatever else I have that’s left from the entire system for $100 There is a big ABCD style memory card that’s in there because they were not using M-8044 cards that will go with the system but the KDF-11 and four port serial card were all standard DEC stuff. The other weird thing is they had a couple of their own design cards in the end slots that formed a terminal for the consul functions.
Im a new user and it's taking the admin a while to approve my posts so I appologize.I have a m186 pdp-11/23 cpu and that is it.I just spent my savings so if you can hold on to it for me that would be fantastic.Im slightly angry with myself for being impulsive but oh well.

That was my auction. I'm cleaning out my four(!) storage units and getting rid of most of my stuff. Although that BA11-SE went for over $400, I think I have several more, so prices should come down on them.

I, for one, would be interested if you had another one that clean. Nice sale! (I was the losing bidder).

Went out and looked and its more like an H-9273 cage and I still have the power supply and control panel for it. If I get the time will bring it in the shop and try to see what I can do with it being its set up for an M-8186 CPU think your card will be ok, I will throw in the weird memory card that’s in the system and look for a communications card. Your going to have to think about what you would want to use in the future for mass storage and start thinking about that, just be warned that your about to start down the road to a long , expensive and often frustrating project but the 11/23 is the easiest and cheapest PDP-11 that can be assembled. With just the CPU, memory and communications the system would run ODT and allow you to enter diagnostics and the like thru the con. Somehow a lot of people tend to get into the mindset that you have to be able to run an operating system like RT-11 or RSX but if you’re just interested in the system at the machine level you will find that there are some things that can be done without an operating system and just working with Assembler. I got little room to talk being my work in assembler is week and on my systems I tend to run RT-11 and DEC Basic but mastering assembler and working in that has always been one of the goals around here.

Went out and looked and its more like an H-9273 cage and I still have the power supply and control panel for it. If I get the time will bring it in the shop and try to see what I can do with it being its set up for an M-8186 CPU think your card will be ok, I will throw in the weird memory card that’s in the system and look for a communications card. Your going to have to think about what you would want to use in the future for mass storage and start thinking about that, just be warned that your about to start down the road to a long , expensive and often frustrating project but the 11/23 is the easiest and cheapest PDP-11 that can be assembled. With just the CPU, memory and communications the system would run ODT and allow you to enter diagnostics and the like thru the con. Somehow a lot of people tend to get into the mindset that you have to be able to run an operating system like RT-11 or RSX but if you’re just interested in the system at the machine level you will find that there are some things that can be done without an operating system and just working with Assembler. I got little room to talk being my work in assembler is week and on my systems I tend to run RT-11 and DEC Basic but mastering assembler and working in that has always been one of the goals around here.
Again thank you for this.I can't pm yet.One thing to note is that my cpu has the mmu so ot can handle up to 4 Mb of ram.I hope this backplane is at least 18 bit.

You know, that's true. Since I've started collecting old pdp11s, my knowledge of the opcodes and addressing modes has increased dramatically. I actually know precisely what 012737 000101 177566 000000 does, and expect to see an a on the console.

Back