• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Speeding Up Web Access

You hate Linux--got it
I don't hate linux -- it's a fine server OS and Google has done great things with it. I HATE X11 implementations (x.org, xfree86, etc), Linsux window managers (Gnome, KDE, XFCE), and that my GTX770 magically becomes a GTS8800 under it with one of it's three display outputs disabled... and the relative dearth of quality applications. I'd have to use VirtualBox or Wine to get to anything meaningful. Hell, I can't even find a flat text editor that doesn't piss me off; it's like Linux fans WANT code editing to be hard. admittedly I find things like code completion and colour syntax highlighting to be useless idiotic messes that make people make mistakes. Sad when to make it "useful" I'd be running WINE just so I can use Flo's Notepad2.

I take it that you don't run many EDA tools
Eagle, Altium... KiCad... Work just fine. Not sure how that's even relevant -- are there even any quality ones that don't have a windows equivalent?

Though I don't use them for large projects -- I'm more of a blender / 3ds max guy... well, more of a 3ds Max and Milkshape guy actually.

and that you've never had a problem with malware.
Don't be dumb enough to use IE, don't pirate software, run an adblock... Only times I've been hit was when I did something stupid like run untested sites outside a VM for an analysis... or worse, allowed Java to be installed and accessible from the browser.

[ And I do keep a copy of XP on a VirtualBox session.
... and I keep Debian and OSX in VirtualBox. Well, two Debian installs actually, a desktop version just so I can see how craptastic freetype pisses all over the display and calls it fonts when working on web designs, and a 1:1 copy of my server configuration so I can test changes before uploading them to the live hosting.

It's actually sad, only place I've ever had Linux show the slightest signs of having proper hardware support as a desktop OS is as a client in VirtualBox. Sure as hell has never liked ANY of my desktop / notebook hardware from crippled near impossible to configure video to audio and LAN that won't come back on after waking from sleep... Pretty much everything one would try to do with a desktop OS, Linux implementations do poorly if at all -- just as much of the hardware that is allegedly supported is typically crippled to half it's capacity. (see printer/scanner drivers and the hell those involve... nothing like a 1200dpi printer/scanner being locked out of anything higher than 360dpi) -- Not a fan...

...well, that too, laptop CPU fans refusing to come on in any kernel newer than 2.4 thanks to broken APM support thanks to Linus up and changing the driver API "because he can" and nobody with the skills to port it being willing to bother to do it properly.

GREAT server OS. It needs to stick to that, at least for my purposes.

You hate Linux--got it.

With all respect to DeathShadow, do we *really* have to be reminded of this every the L-word is mentioned? I mean, if the answer is yes then I suppose we're all grown ups and can handle it but... yeah, we get it, you don't like things.

Funny guy, that could be because it's the bleeding edge of 1997 coding practices; shame it's useless on screen readers and search engines probably give it the bird... It's actually funny, it's the WORST of the HTML 3.2 pre 4 era "how not to build a page" - but hey, it works and is SMALLER than most of the poorly coded "i can haz intarnets" garbage people vomit up today.

Good guess - I coded 95% of it by hand, and I have a book on HTML from 1997 which I used to help me with the trickier parts. The book takes care to point out which tags only work in Netscape or only work in IE -- now irrelevant since marketplace pressure forced Mozilla to adopt a lot of the IE tags and vice versa.

My coding does not pass any HTML standards compliance test known to man, because I eschew such "mandatory" coding bloat as specifying the font and text color for every single paragraph even when it doesn't change from the previous one.

... and the colours -- ooh the colours. WCAG, what's that?!? :p

Bad memories of the GeoCities era, eh? :p

I don't get the part about my site not working properly with screen readers, though. If it can be navigated easily with a text-only browser such as Lynx, then how can a screen reader have trouble with it?

My own personal web site, that I shall not link to here, also uses a simplistic HTML design. Most if it will still look fine in Netscape 4 as long as you have a version with PNG support.

Every now and then I will get some visitor e-mailing me with something along the lines of "herp, derp, make you site look more modern" And they can never, ever, tell me exactly what it is they think my site needs to be "modern". They are so used to bloated laggy pages full of advertisements, they find it shocking to come across a simple white page with black text and a few graphics.

WRT Windows and malware, I recently acquired (about 2 days ago) a really nasty one that was apparently spawned from a Windows driver that I downloaded (I can't say for certain, since I deleted all recently downloaded files). It installed a service, then proceeded to install several FF plugins. When you'd delete the plugins, they'd come back. Kill the service and it would re-spawn itself with a different name. It took about an hour of registry editing and file deleting to get rid of the thing--and it passed my AV software without a peep. FWIW, "Reset Firefox" did nothing. I can't claim to have ever had the same experience with Linux or any of the BSDs.

There are apparently some "updated" versions of the Flash plugin that originate from non-Adobe sites that are just as nasty.

I can't claim to have ever had the same experience with Linux or any of the BSDs.

Even though it's far easier to design such an exploit for these systems. Matter of supply and demand.
Android is great at showing just how insecure linux really is, because it's a market where linux is actually the largest target.
You see the most horrible bugs and exploits, things that Windows has safeguards against.

Slashdot last month had a somewhat relevant ask slashdot thread http://ask.slashdot.org/story/15/02/18/152254/ask-slashdot-most-useful-browser-extensions on tools/plugins to use. I think I remember someone mentioning either in the thread or the comments on the actual plugin download page that Ghostery sends your requests somewhere also (almost like they use your data for advertisers?) .. I didn't verify anything but that'd be interesting to know as it did scare me away from checking it out. I do use NoScript although it can make some sites useless while you have to click through each of the 12 stupid xss links that site used to steal it's news sources, etc. AdBlock Plus I like but don't know that it really does anything speed related, then you can get some like and Flashblock if you don't want flash videos bogging down your loading time.

The speed issue is definitely the multiple requests going to other servers and waiting for that data to return before the page renders though. Annoying but I'm not sure the best solution for still having modern day surfing and not making things look like offbyone/lynx.

Even though it's far easier to design such an exploit for these systems. Matter of supply and demand.
Android is great at showing just how insecure linux really is, because it's a market where linux is actually the largest target.
You see the most horrible bugs and exploits, things that Windows has safeguards against.

I don't doubt it for a second. There is safety in non-numbers, it seems.

My problem with Windows malware vulnerabilities is that remedies tend to be reactive instead of proactive. That is, someone works out an exploit, uses it and then the community has to (a) figure out a detection mechanism and (b) figure out a remedy once the exploit is discovered.

Is there a central, clean repository for Windows drivers? If I'm looking for, say, a driver for a 3Com 3C905C NIC driver for Windows 98, is there a guaranteed "clean" source to find it? Poking around a bit last night seems to show that an awful lot of the files are carrying a malware payload. You can't say "Just don't run with administrative privileges, because that's precisely what you need to install a driver. (I back my work up offline every other week).

I don't run Windows on my desktop because I'm afraid of getting current work clobbered or infected with something that managed to sneak past AV software. At least the lower risk under Linux makes it worthwhile. And I do have access to the source--something I don't get with Windows.

My own personal web site, that I shall not link to here, also uses a simplistic HTML design. Most if it will still look fine in Netscape 4 as long as you have a version with PNG support.

Every now and then I will get some visitor e-mailing me with something along the lines of "herp, derp, make you site look more modern" And they can never, ever, tell me exactly what it is they think my site needs to be "modern". They are so used to bloated laggy pages full of advertisements, they find it shocking to come across a simple white page with black text and a few graphics.

Most of the pages I maintain will render just fine on browsers going back as far as Mosaic. It may not look super nice, but you can get around in it.

Then again, I still do an awful lot with Gopherspace.

My problem with Windows malware vulnerabilities is that remedies tend to be reactive instead of proactive. That is, someone works out an exploit, uses it and then the community has to (a) figure out a detection mechanism and (b) figure out a remedy once the exploit is discovered.

That's not specific to Windows. That's how malware generally happens.
Mind you, a lot of Windows malware is actually produced AFTER a bug has been detected and patched, and merely exploits the fact that many machines are not updated frequently enough.

Is there a central, clean repository for Windows drivers?

Yes, Microsoft carries a lot of drivers these days, which can automatically be downloaded via Windows Update.

If I'm looking for, say, a driver for a 3Com 3C905C NIC driver for Windows 98, is there a guaranteed "clean" source to find it?

Well no, back in 1998 Windows Update didn't even exist yet, since internet access was not common, nor fast enough to just randomly distribute drivers and such.
In those days you just relied on the floppies/cdroms that came in the box.
I suppose if you're going the vintage route, that's still a good idea... Whenever you buy some hardware, make sure there's some drivers included.
If not, well, we can't expect to be catered for, we're a bit of an odd bunch.

And I do have access to the source--something I don't get with Windows.

Having looked at some of the linux code, I wish I didn't :)
Which brings us back to the earlier conversation: So many people in programming these days who really should not be programming at all.
They neither have the proper mindset to write properly readable, reliable and maintainable code, nor do they have enough knowledge and understanding to work with the things they work with. This includes Linus himself, such as his remarks on nVidia and Optimus, while he doesn't have half a clue what Optimus is, what it does, and how it needs support from a stable OS driver model and interface to do what it does (which is why it only works on Windows 7 and newer, older ones lack the proper interface for the nVidia driver to communicate with other drivers and switch contexts from one GPU to the next).
There's no excuse for not knowing either, since nVidia published a whitepaper on Optimus, which explains everything.

I don't get the part about my site not working properly with screen readers, though. If it can be navigated easily with a text-only browser such as Lynx, then how can a screen reader have trouble with it?
You don't have numbered headings to navigate through the sections with, or your content text marked as paragraphs, AND it's marked up with "tables for layout" on which things like JAWS can completely choke. Having it scream "TABLE CELL!!!" between every major section of your home page gets tired REALLY fast. Is that tabular data? No, then why is it in a table? Simple, tables for layout something that was bad practice 20 years ago when it was introduced. ... and that today there's no reason for other than a lack of understanding CSS layout or being stuck doing something like HTML e-mails where the client software is too stupid to use CSS or anything newer than HTML 3.2 properly.

Thing is, "semantic markup" is really just a sick euphemism for "using HTML properly" -- or more specifically using it the way Tim Berners Lee originally intended prior to the disaster that was HTML 3.2 and the browser specific tags that followed. The entire reason HTML even exists is something we all should be behind 100% being retro guys! At the time professionally written documents like scientific papers, whitepapers, etc were being sent between machines of wildly different capabilities -- from printers to teletype to 21x22 VIC-20 to 80x25 text to 512x384 Mac to the 1120x832 monochrome graphics of the NeXT workstation he was sitting in front of.

He came up with the idea of taking SGML style formatting and creating a specification of "semantic tags" who's purpose was NOT to say what things look like, but what they ARE or would be in a professionally written document. There are things you do when writing professionally that some devices aren't even capable of -- italic for book titles, bold for proper name references, different size text for different level headings -- that many of those devices can't even do. By using tags to say what it SHOULD BE in a professionally written document, it could then be left to the "user agent" (what today we call "browsers") to best figure out how to convey that within the capabilities of that device. We aren't supposed to be saying in the HTML what things look like, we're SUPPOSED to be saying what things ARE or should be. That means if you have a GRAMMATICAL paragraph you wrap it in a <p> tag. Numbered headings correspond to heading levels in pro writing where the top-most heading H1 is what all content on the page is a subsection of which is why EVERY page should have one and only one H1. A second level heading like H2 indicates the start of a subsection of the H1, H3 indicates the start of a subsection of the H2, and so forth down the line... Horizontal rules -- HR -- indicating the start of a subsection where a numbered heading is unwanted/unwarranted. HR does NOT mean "draw a line across the screen" since a dividing "rule" can be anythign from a centered elipsis to a string of asterisks to just a page-break; in that same way numbered headings do NOT mean "bigger text of different sizes" it means "these are the start of subsections". THAT's using HTML "properly" to it's original intent.

The above actually oversimplifies and it ain't quite right -- a browser is always a user-agent, but a user-agent isn't always a browser.

Then along came Nutscrape and Microshaft to piss all over that from orbit. Suddenly everyone pretty much ignored what HTML was even FOR and started only caring about "what does it look like on a VGA resolution display" to the point of telling anyone else to go plow themselves.

The very notion of semantics and accessibility was thrown out the window as more and more idiocy like FONT, CENTER, TARGET, BGCOLOR, FACE were added to the specification resulting in REALLY big redundant code.

It didn't take long for it to be recognized what garbage was resulting - so along came HTML 4 (the real 4 later to be renamed STRICT) and CSS to try and fix things. HTML could go back to saying what things were FOR, with CSS saying what it would look like for different targets like screen, handheld, print, or even to provide hinting for non-visual UA's with targets like Aural. It was also crafted to remove pointless redunancies in the specification to make it simpler. DIR and MENU were redundant to UL. ISINDEX was redundant to INPUT, FONT and CENTER were redundant to CSS, APPLET and EMBED were redundant to OBJECT...

Laughably for the 'real' HTML 5 that never materialized IMG was also supposed to be on the chopping block as redundant to OBJECT, so we wouldn't be locked into image formats that browser makers just happened to feel like supporting. So along comes the dipshits at WhatWG with their alleged HTML 5 introducing all sorts of new redundancies including AUDIO and VIDEO to promote vendor lock-in of whatever the browser makers happen to feel like supporting.

The problem was many considered the change "too radical" so they created this thing called "4 transitional" -- allowing in a bunch of the vendor specific browser crap and the worst of HTML 3.2 to be mixed with the new stuff. In theory tranny was created -- like most pre-op's -- to allow older existing sites to use the stuff introduced in HMTL 4 like forms in a mix-and match, while HTML 4 "strict' as for creating all new websites. If it didn't exist or was "deprecated" in STRICT, you weren't supposed to be used at all.

So naturally what did people use to make new websites for the next decade and some change? That's right, transitional -- either out of ignorance, apathy, or just plain wishful thinking. People continued to use tables for layout, use headings incorrectly or not at all, slap paragraphs around things that are not grammatical paragraphs, abuse lists when they have headings, not use lists around obvious shortlists, etc, etc...

Frustrating for those of us who embraced 4 Strict, practice separation of presentation from content, and all the other good practices of the past decade and a half that mean faster loading better gracefully degrading sites. The REAL joke of it all being that if you used HTML 4 STRICT properly pages would view better/more reliable in pre-css browsers than they do in early CSS (IE 4 and 5.0, NS4) browsers from that "transitional" period.

... an even bigger joke being the steaming pile of manure known as HTML 5 just lets the sleazeballs who continued vomiting up new sites in Tranny to keep on using their broken nonsensical BS, slap the new lip-service doctype on thier bloated slow loading crap, and pat themselves on the back over how "modern" they are with their bleeding edge of 1997 coding practices.

Just to show what I mean, I'll use one of my sites as an example:
http://www.ewiusb.com

Which is about six years out of date code-wise, but was one of the first "responsive" sites I've built using the new CSS3. (which is NOT HTML 5 no matter how many jacktards slap all the cool stuff from the new JS and CSS under it's banner!)

In non-CSS capable browsers because it uses semantic markup, it gracefully degrades extremely well:
http://www.cutcodedown.com/images/ewiUSB/ewiUsbComNoCSS.jpg

The semantic markup with logical heading orders makes the document structure very clear and navigable in UA's that support it (like REAL Opera -- as opposed to the pathetic crippleware known as ChrOpera):
http://www.cutcodedown.com/images/ewiUSB/headingOrders.png

While with CSS for desktop targets the max-width prevents long lines from getting hard to follow -- so called "semi-fluid" layout:
http://www.cutcodedown.com/images/ewiUSB/ewiUsbComNormal96.jpg

... and since font sizes, column widths and max-widths are declared in EM's, they auto-scale to user preferences properly without the ugly image resizing that diving for the zoom would involve. That's called "elastic layout"
http://www.cutcodedown.com/images/ewiUSB/ewiUsbComNormal120.jpg

The layout being semi-fluid scales down the content column to fit:
http://www.cutcodedown.com/images/ewiUSB/ewiUsbCom800Wide.jpg

While the use of media queries lets it on modern browsers strip off columns and gets rid of presentational imags that don't fit when the screen is too narrow. This is called "responsive layout"
http://www.cutcodedown.com/images/ewiUSB/ewiUsbCom640wide.jpg

Which can work down to really REALLY tiny widths.
http://www.cutcodedown.com/images/ewiUSB/ewiUsbTinyMobile.jpg

Which does become painfully long to scroll through, but that's what heading navigation and accesskeys is SUPPOSED to be for.

It also uses image-replacement techniques for any presentational images, which is why it gracefully degrades in a useful (though less attractive) manner when images are blocked or unavailable. Also gives screen readers and search engines something to look at since they can't "read" images.
http://www.cutcodedown.com/images/ewiUSB/ewiUsbCom800WideNoImages.jpg

All from ONE HTML codebase with a markup to content ratio of 3:1... where most people still sleazing out 4 tranny and slapping 5 lip-service around it seem to think there's nothing wrong with MtC ratio's of 20:1 or more. (or HTML+CSS+SCRIPTS to content ratios of 1000:1 or more!)

... and since CSS is cached I use monolithic CSS files to pre-cache the appearance of sub-pages since an extra 8k of CSS is piss in the pan, particularly if it makes the only thing sub-pages have to load when visited is the new markup and any content images; which also means so long as visitors go to more than one page on the site it saves bandwidth as well.

... and also good for a laugh, that site is bloated/outdated by my current standards; but as I often say if you aren't disgusted with your own work from even just a year ago, you're in the wrong business!

It gracefully degrades to crappy IE versions (5.5 through 8) reasonably well, though it loses a lot of the shading and rounded corners (OH NOES, NOTS THATZ!!!)... It is only the intermediate versions of IE (4 through 5.01) and NS (4) and Opera (4 through 6) that really have issues since again, that whole era of site development and browser design was flawed.

Another laugh being a "properly" done website using semantic markup and separation of presentation from content usually gives the finger to those late 90's browsers, but would work just fine in something like LYNX, Mosaic or pre-CSS versions of those same browsers... well, other than forms... since anything pre HTML-4 usually means no form support.

Nope, I'm not long-winded or preachy AT ALL...

that I shall not link to here
Awww....

also uses a simplistic HTML design.
Simple is good -- I cannot emphasize that enough.

Every now and then I will get some visitor e-mailing me with something along the lines of "herp, derp, make you site look more modern" And they can never, ever, tell me exactly what it is they think my site needs to be "modern".
Do you have accessibility failings? How's your heading orders / document structure? Are your colour contrasts within the WCAG recommendations? Did you do something silly like declare font sizes in pixels? Is it an inaccessible fixed width? Is the layout semi-fluid, elastic and responsive? How well does it gracefully degrade?

How well does it handle mobile devices? Remember, almost half of web traffic now comes from tablets, handhelds and phones.

Does it have speed issues (unlikely if you said simple).

They are so used to bloated laggy pages full of advertisements
TRUTH! It's like people EXPECT websites to be slow loading messes that are less useful and slower than what we had on dialup almost two decades ago. I'm not rocking 45mbps down to have websites take a minute to load when said sites usually have 4k or less actual content text and a half dozen images.

they find it shocking to come across a simple white page with black text and a few graphics.
The thing that gets me about that complaint -- and you'll hear it a lot -- is that NOBODY complains about that with Google. You want to make a modern designer cringe point them at sites like slashdot or craigslist! They'll recoil in horror; and those are some of the biggest success stories of the web.

Even some of the bloated scripttard sites like Twitter and Facebook, or image heavy sites like e-Bay and Amazon are actually pretty damned simple from a color and presentational graphics standpoint. These sites do NOT have some art faygelah spanking it on the screen in Photoshop and then calling it "design". They focus on what's really important, delivering content people want to the people.

You could do far worse than to follow their example, but try explaining that to the nube-predating scam artists who make up the majority of snake oil doctors on websites like ThemeForest or TemplateMonster; or the even bigger hucksters who sleaze out cookie-cutter train wrecks that LOOK pretty and then try to dupe ignorant fools into forking over cash for them on sites like Flippa.

If I'm looking for, say, a driver for a 3Com 3C905C NIC driver for Windows 98, is there a guaranteed "clean" source to find it?

I have it and if you want it I'll send it to you. Is it guaranteed to be clean? Well, let's just say that 3Com themselves couldn't guarantee it to be clean (it's specifically mentioned in the disclaimer when you run the self extractor). Also, I would never do such a silly thing as use any kind of AV software. I'm actually surprised to see that you of all people apparently do not understand what an exercise in futility that is.

Nevertheless, if you still want it, it's yours. :)

Is there a central, clean repository for Windows drivers? If I'm looking for, say, a driver for a 3Com 3C905C NIC driver for Windows 98, is there a guaranteed "clean" source to find it? Poking around a bit last night seems to show that an awful lot of the files are carrying a malware payload. You can't say "Just don't run with administrative privileges, because that's precisely what you need to install a driver. (I back my work up offline every other week).

Some of the sites offering drivers will skip the bundled adware/malware "installer" and just give you the raw file if you download it on a Mac.

He came up with the idea of taking SGML style formatting and creating a specification of "semantic tags" who's purpose was NOT to say what things look like, but what they ARE or would be in a professionally written document.

Once the web shifted from "professionally written documents" to commercial web sites selling products and advertising, the change from making things readable to making things look pretty was inevitable. CSS arrived about 5 years too late to save HTML from being modified and expanded in ways that its author never intended.

I have it and if you want it I'll send it to you. Is it guaranteed to be clean? Well, let's just say that 3Com themselves couldn't guarantee it to be clean (it's specifically mentioned in the disclaimer when you run the self extractor). Also, I would never do such a silly thing as use any kind of AV software. I'm actually surprised to see that you of all people apparently do not understand what an exercise in futility that is.

Nevertheless, if you still want it, it's yours. :)

No, I've got it finally, but had to go about the task of finding it differently. I remembered that it had shipped with some of the old HP Vectra VLs--and HP still keeps fairly complete
libraries of software for old machines, but may not identify the drivers other than by "Network card".

Yes, I know that AV software is pretty much useless, but what other recourse does one have? FWIW, Linux identified the card quite readily with no scanning about for drivers. That's what impresses me about the Linux "live" CDs--most often, they'll just come right up on most machines.

This may be an impossible question to answer, but...

Because my internet machine seems slower than necessary when using the web, my friend and I did a side by side test today. We connected two machines to the same broadband router - my Compaq desktop (P4 2.4GHz, 1.25gb memory) and his HP laptop (1.8GHz, 1GB memory). My machine uses a 10/100 ethernet card (the motherboard ethernet connector does not work) while his uses some type of gigabyte card. We both seem to connect at 100mps. Both run Windows XP and Firefox.

When we checked upload/download speed on speedtest.net we basically got the same results. However, his laptop could access web pages faster than my machine. My machine has almost no software installed and was recently reloaded.

Where can I look for the problem? Network card? Video card (onboard 64mb)? It seems with a faster CPU and more memory, I shouldn;t fall behind his laptiop.

Thanks...Joe

Which 1.8 GHz CPU does he have? For that matter, which Pentium 4? Pentium-M, Core, and Core2 are all about 50% better clock for clock than the Pentium 4 meaning a laptop with those would be a bit faster than your P4 sometimes much faster thanks to better designed cache.

Are you running the P4 in power saving modes? It takes time for it to spin up the clock speed which could delay rendering.
Ad block or antivirus might cause a slow down as the software contacts home to check the destination site. Or he could have blocked some websites with large download scripts.

I would suggest trying a better video card if you have one available. Newer web browsers have placed more emphasis on having the GPU do more work which an older video card isn't capable of.

Once the web shifted from "professionally written documents" to commercial web sites selling products and advertising, the change from making things readable to making things look pretty was inevitable. CSS arrived about 5 years too late to save HTML from being modified and expanded in ways that its author never intended.

Yeah, even now I still catch sites using the FONT tag when it's been deprecated for years. Frames are bad, too, especially when it's relatively easy to fake frames (for e.g. a navigation bar or newspaper-like sidebars) using DIV and CSS.

My other pet peeve is sites that were written with the expectation that we'd all be running Internet Explorer 5 or 6 on Windows 98 forever, and that the W3C standards meant nothing as long as someone's dodgy scripts ran. This was endemic with government sites written about 15 years ago (at a time when a lot of stuff was just being put online and Netscape was considered passe). I've even heard of sites like these not working properly with newer versions of IE!

Last edited:
Back