• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Computer Mecca? Video of Electronics "Junk" Store

Jesus almighty christ. You found a mountain of recordable LD media. I thought all that stuff was used up in the 90's. If I was closer I would load up on all of it. Single CRV cartridges are $40 each these days if and when they pop up.

Last edited:
I would paypal you the money to pick them all up in an instant. Thing is, I know how much 100 laserdiscs weigh. That sure wouldn't be cheap to ship though, ten or so might be a touch cheaper to mail. ;)

*sigh*, I really miss shops / markets like this in the UK... don't seem to find any these days

Wow...that is incredible...how are the prices? My apologies if you commented on that, I didn't turn on the speakers or watch the whole thing, just skimmed through it...enough to make me start trying to come up with a reason to visit Texas... :)

Wesley

What exactly do you use to burn laserdisks?

Professional outfits had a rather large recording system (it's like a rack and a half) which could master discs for limited run applications. It was never the kind of thing the average person could afford to do and that I'm aware of all the machines have since been recycled. There are other recorders out there that also record to 12" discs in a non-lserdisc format but the media is simply not common enough to experiment. This is a great chance however to do just that.

hah! Who knew these were worth anything! I've had a couple of people send a PM and ask me to pick up some LDs and ship to them. I don't want to get into the LD distribution business, but I'm sure if a phone call is made, they might ship them at cost.

Hopefully someone picks them up and can put them to good use (and not just for making money)

You need a special burner and an LD player to make use of that media. How much were those discs priced at?

I collect all kinds of digital tapes and recordable media but never ventured into LD territory.

*sigh*, I really miss shops / markets like this in the UK... don't seem to find any these days

Me too. Even Bowlers in Manchester which used to have loads of stuff had more cheap Chinese stuff that gold last time I went and the Display Electronics web site was down last time I tried though their prices are horrendous its nie to browse...

You need a special burner and an LD player to make use of that media. How much were those discs priced at?

I collect all kinds of digital tapes and recordable media but never ventured into LD territory.

I didn't even know such existed before now. I'll bet they were somewhat pricey.

They were expensive. To the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

ODC%20Laserdisc%20Recorder.jpg

I've seen more recorders for 12" optical media that WERE NOT designed for producing laserdiscs. They simply do not exist in the wild anymore that we know of.

They were expensive. To the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

ODC%20Laserdisc%20Recorder.jpg

I've seen more recorders for 12" optical media that WERE NOT designed for producing laserdiscs. They simply do not exist in the wild anymore that we know of.

Apparently they were available in a more manageable size too...

Panasonic%20LQ-D5500P.jpg

I believe he said in the video they were $.50/ea? Re: price of everything else seemed like it's probably high (dirty Amiga 500 as-is = $200, Amiga monitor was also either $200 or $100). He did a very nice walkthrough. Thanks!

I did circle back and pick up a Tandy 1000HX for $80. Seems like about the right price for one...

They actually have more Tandy computers than i've seen anywhere. They have an EX, several 1000s and 1000TX, TL2, TL3....

This store is 20 miles from Radio Shack HQ so maybe that has something to do with it :)

Back